need voip recommendations to replace a landline

Nick B

need voip recommendations to replace a landline
« on: 30 Aug 2016, 05:25 pm »
I'm done with our local cable company, but would like to keep my landline and phone number. Have done some online research and come across Majikjack, Ooma, Vonage and others. Would appreciate recommendations and info re porting phone number, etc. I prefer not to pay a monthly fee, but would consider maybe $10 a month.

TomS

Re: need voip recommendations to replace a landline
« Reply #1 on: 30 Aug 2016, 05:40 pm »
We use Obihai VIOP phone adapter boxes with Google Voice number, which is free, no monthly charges. You could port the LL there.
 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007D930YO/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B007D930YO&linkCode=as2&tag=obihatechn-20

We also have some VOIP lines (business, fax, etc) on an account with www.anveo.com which is compatible with the OBI202, just gives us more lines. Our LL is actually ported there, but we could also have moved it to GV. All the lines ring on the same 2-line desk phones with individual ring types. These SIP lines are very inexpensive also.

avta

« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2016, 06:43 pm »
I've been using Ooma for about a year and am very satisfied with it.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2016, 07:17 pm »
I've been using Ooma for about a year and am very satisfied with it.

I use it as well and have had it for about 2.5 years.  Works well.  I have it configured to send me an email with the voice mail attached via an mp3 file when someone leaves me a message at home.

chip

« Reply #4 on: 30 Aug 2016, 08:23 pm »
I have ooma as well. No complaints here. I don't pay for the xtra features but they do offer some nice ones if you need them.

walkern

« Reply #5 on: 30 Aug 2016, 08:28 pm »
Another vote for Ooma.  Been using it for a couple of years and no complaints.  Pay once for your device (and extra if you want a particular number) and then the only thing you pay for is state, fed or local taxes and fees.

ohenry

« Reply #6 on: 30 Aug 2016, 08:37 pm »
I've used Callcentric for 8-9 years and it has been good to me.  I think the talk rate is about 2 cents/minute and the base rate is $4.45/month.  I have a cell phone and don't talk much on either, so it's good for me.

One thing to consider if you have an alarm system at your house is that most likely the VOIP phone service won't be compatible.  I had my alarm company install a cell phone for contacting their monitoring center.  The good part is they did that for free, there is no monthly charge and nobody can disable it by cutting exterior wires.

Nick B

« Reply #7 on: 30 Aug 2016, 10:27 pm »
Good options all. Best for me is either Ooma or Obihai.  The porting method to transfer my current phone number to Google voice looks a bit tedious. I'll probably just pay the money for Ooma and pay the very pricey $40 porting fee

avta

« Reply #8 on: 30 Aug 2016, 11:41 pm »
I also opted for the Premier service which is $10 a month. It gives you additional choices for blocking unwanted calls which is one of the best features of Ooma in addition to excellent voice quality. Do review their web site www.ooma.com before deciding.

Philistine

« Reply #9 on: 31 Aug 2016, 12:25 am »
Another satisfied Ooma user - migrated from Vonage about 8 years ago after Vonage had yet another price hike, amazing how they could make me a special deal once I'd cut them off.  They wrote to me every week for a couple of years until they got the message that the divorce was final.  No issues with Ooma, I buy the 500 international minutes plan as an 'add on' for $10/month.   

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
  • SoundLab and Fritz Speakers Dealer
« Reply #10 on: 31 Aug 2016, 01:28 am »
I have both Ooma and Obihai (2 different locations) and both are fine. I use Google Voice (and Speak) with my Obihai device and thus no monthly fee! Google Voice provides many great features.

Tried MagicJack early-problems with both the device and the company. Gave up in desperation!

One caveat: you must have a decent internet connection for any of them to work well. Satellite internet (HughesNet, Wild Blue, etc) won't work- too much latency.

ACHiPo

« Reply #11 on: 31 Aug 2016, 03:48 am »
I've been happy with Vonage for about 12 years.

Nick B

« Reply #12 on: 31 Aug 2016, 03:35 pm »
I am going with Ooma. Thanks for all the comments