Bryston Turntable

dolsey01

Re: Bryston Turntable
« Reply #240 on: 26 Oct 2016, 04:41 pm »
So it seems. I ended up deciding to order a cable with that connector from Audio Sensibility, just b/c I happened to be able to find a bit more $$ in my budget and couldn't think of anything else I needed to buy at the moment. :) Will report here on sonic differences between that cable and the stock one, though that will take a good six weeks until the table and cable and I are all together.

I was introduced to AS by a seasoned pro at another turntable manufacture forum and their phono cables are a huge bang for the buck. I'm willing to be you will be more than pleased.   :thumb:

abuhannibal

« Reply #241 on: 26 Oct 2016, 06:18 pm »
I was introduced to AS by a seasoned pro at another turntable manufacture forum and their phono cables are a huge bang for the buck. I'm willing to be you will be more than pleased.   :thumb:

And Steve Huang is very available to answer questions, etc.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #242 on: 11 Nov 2016, 12:14 am »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston – Dealer Turntable Report

Hi James

Are you able to provide a few recommendations of cartridges for the Bryston Turntable.

HI Malcolm

The tonearm mass is 10 grams so most MC cartridges will work well.
What do you think of the table?

Hi James,

Well let me see…
We set it up on Friday and hmmmm
Sold it on Saturday

Malcolm
Hi-Fi Attic

Samurai7595

« Reply #243 on: 11 Nov 2016, 12:37 pm »
SUBJECT: Bryston – Dealer Turntable Report

Hi James

Are you able to provide a few recommendations of cartridges for the Bryston Turntable.

HI Malcolm

The tonearm mass is 10 grams so most MC cartridges will work well.
What do you think of the table?

Hi James,

Well let me see…
We set it up on Friday and hmmmm
Sold it on Saturday

Malcolm
Hi-Fi Attic

:thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #244 on: 13 Nov 2016, 10:15 pm »
BLP-1 in action on Klangbilder show in Vienna

Edvard Potisk
Vienna, Austria

abuhannibal

« Reply #245 on: 22 Nov 2016, 02:43 pm »
18 days till I get mine :)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #246 on: 8 Dec 2016, 05:23 pm »
HI Folks,

Sneak Peak on another new review on the Bryston BLP-1 from HIFI ZINE magazine.

Full review coming soon.

Got a very nice note from the reviewer.

james

SUBJECT: Another Turntable Review – Sneak Peak

December 2016

Hi James

I most certainly enjoyed the Bryston turntable -- and my review will make this clear.

The Bryston BLP-1 Turntable is my benchmark now at this price point!

I gave it a spin this morning before packing up and remain seriously impressed. Hate to see it go.

Packing it all up again drove home how owner-friendly this design is -- dealers should make this super-clear to customers, there's so much nonsense surrounding analog that many people are put-off, but this table makes everything easy.

abuhannibal

« Reply #247 on: 8 Dec 2016, 09:55 pm »
Finally picked mine up today from Audio Connection in NJ. Looking forward to getting it set up over the next few days, stay tuned for pix!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #248 on: 8 Dec 2016, 10:06 pm »
Finally picked mine up today from Audio Connection in NJ. Looking forward to getting it set up over the next few days, stay tuned for pix!

Great - looking forward to your thoughts. :thumb:

james

abuhannibal

« Reply #249 on: 9 Dec 2016, 02:48 pm »
Here ya go... only played one side so far but it sounds great!! More to come...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #250 on: 9 Dec 2016, 05:34 pm »
SUBJECT: Customer Feedback BLP-1 & BDA-3

December 2016

From Singapore:

Hi James,

My dealer sent two early xmas goodies to me yesterday - the Bryston BDA3 DAC as well as the new Bryston BLP-1 Turntable !

Both sound superb!

The BDA3 is the most airy, natural and analogue sounding DAC right out of the box...to my surprise, it also processes blueray discs superbly well...as long as they have a stereo layer I guess.

The Turntable is fuss-free, solid and the motor speeds up so fast and accurately which is a pure joy.

My MC cartridge also sounds a lot less sharp with this tonearm.

Cheers and thanks for all the magic !

Tom

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #251 on: 9 Dec 2016, 05:36 pm »
Here ya go... only played one side so far but it sounds great!! More to come...

Nice pics - What base is that?

james

abuhannibal

« Reply #252 on: 9 Dec 2016, 06:16 pm »
Symposium Segue ISO, 19 x 18, light duty

abuhannibal

« Reply #253 on: 9 Dec 2016, 07:12 pm »
James, a fast question - any reason I shouldn't experiment with this in addition to the supplied weight? I have it from my last TT and seems like it will fit the spindle just fine. TIA!

https://www.musicdirect.com/analog-accessories/michell-reflex-record-clamp

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #254 on: 9 Dec 2016, 07:38 pm »
James, a fast question - any reason I shouldn't experiment with this in addition to the supplied weight? I have it from my last TT and seems like it will fit the spindle just fine. TIA!

https://www.musicdirect.com/analog-accessories/michell-reflex-record-clamp

Hi

Sure feel free to experiment.  One of the reviewers told me that the nice thing about our table was that it was good enough to show up differences when using accessory products like weights, cables etc.

james

abuhannibal

« Reply #255 on: 10 Dec 2016, 10:57 pm »
James, is it possible to order extra belts from Bryston? I always like to have backups on hand..

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #256 on: 10 Dec 2016, 11:44 pm »
James, is it possible to order extra belts from Bryston? I always like to have backups on hand..

Hi

Yes I have some coming - should have some in about 2 weeks.

james

abuhannibal

« Reply #257 on: 11 Dec 2016, 12:46 am »
Ok, obviously no rush. :)

Thanks!

abuhannibal

« Reply #258 on: 11 Dec 2016, 12:55 pm »
Ok here's a few preliminary thoughts:

Sonically it sounds great - with my Ortofon Quintet Black I am getting a nice big warm sound; haven't really listened critically yet (gotta move some stuff around in the listening room) but initial impressions compared to my other two tables - Micro Seiki BL51/Rega RB300 and VPI Jr w/Mk IV platter and Grace arm - are positive.

I may yet order the antiskating mechanism, though without it I am not seeing any real problems in that regard.

The dust cover and hinges are both very robust, which is important to me and was an element in my purchasing decision. The feet don't look like much but I appreciate the levelling feature.  Myself, I would have preferred 4 feet rather than the tripod configuration, but it is quite stable.

It is pretty svelte in person, not a great honking room-dominator like some of the VPI's. :)  I find this to be a good thing. The styling seemed a little austere to me (I was thinking that a nice walnut border around the plinth might have been nice) but the wife, who relentlessly critiques the aesthetics of my equipment purchases, absolutely loves it. (Whew!)

I switched out the supplied tonearm cable for one from Audio Sensibility. The latter is still being broken in and I didn't bother to compare it with the original cable; the latter, to the eye, looks OK but no more than that. Which may or may not mean a thing sonically, I dunno. 

More impressions as I get time to play more tunes!
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2017, 01:56 pm by abuhannibal »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #259 on: 11 Dec 2016, 02:05 pm »
Ok here's a few preliminary thoughts:

Sonically it sounds great - with my Ortofon Quintet Black I am getting a nice big warm sound; haven't really listened critically yet (gotta move some stuff around in the listening room) but initial impressions compared to my other two tables - Micro Seiki BL51/Rega RB300 and VPI Jr w/Mk IV platter and Grace arm - are positive.

I may yet order the antiskating mechanism, but when the arm drops it drops nice and straight, so fwiw I am not seeing any real problems in that regard.

The dust cover and hinges are both very robust, which is important to me and was an element in my purchasing decision. The feet don't look like much but I appreciate the levelling feature.  Myself, I would have preferred 4 feet rather than the tripod configuration, but it is quite stable.

It is pretty svelte in person, not a great honking room-dominator like some of the VPI's. :)  I find this to be a good thing. The styling seemed a little austere to me (I was thinking that a nice walnut border around the plinth might have been nice) but the wife, who relentlessly critiques the aesthetics of my equipment purchases, absolutely loves it. (Whew!)

I switched out the supplied tonearm cable for one from Audio Sensibility. The latter is still being broken in and I didn't bother to compare it with the original cable; the latter, to the eye, looks OK but no more than that. Which may or may not mean a thing sonically, I dunno. 

More impressions as I get time to play more tunes!

Hi abuhannibal

Thanks for the feedback much appreciated sir!

There are reasons why we do  not include anti- skate:

Contrary to popular belief, anti-skate is something that is not really necessary. Anti-skate is a radial force that in a turntable must be considered a dynamic fluid motion because it changes varying with the position of the tone arm on the record. This means a static weight as normally used would work ‘well’ at only one specific point on the record and would inevitably be less effective at all the other points on the record.

The anti-skate is a force applied to limit the centripetal force that attracts the tone arms to the center of the platter while spinning. But this force is dynamic because it is radial. It is dependent on the position of the arm: the force varies with position and the opposite force (anti-skating) should vary accordingly. That's not physically possible, or at least it is not possible to do it precisely. Most tone arm manufacturers simply apply a weight that is essentially a "static mass": it works fine in a single position, but is “wrong” in all others across the disc. (Bryston can, however, supply an anti-skate system and weight if a customer were to ask for it.)

I agree that when most people see the table in person it is very aesthetically appealing in a simplistic way.

The 3 feet are more stable that 4 as you can not rock a tripod.

james