Bryston 7B SST Squared----One Pleased Camper

95Dyna

Re: Bryston 7B SST Squared----One Pleased Camper
« Reply #20 on: 7 Sep 2011, 08:29 pm »
I see your quite pleased as well Bill.At least that's the impression I gather.

You are correct!

Rod_S

« Reply #21 on: 7 Sep 2011, 08:54 pm »
Hi Rod

I will give my impressions for sure.I will also do an unboxing vid,since there are so little of them.
I am curious as well if you ever did hear the previous version of the 802D.....compared to the latest version that you have.If so
what are your thoughts regarding the two?

I look forward to the video. Unfortunately I never did have an opportunity to listen to the 802D's. From the previous generation I have only heard the 805S, 804S and 803D. All were at my dealer's using completely different gear than I use so it's not really possible to even describe the differences of those to my 802 Diamonds due to so many variables being different. I like them all but it wasn't until I got my 802 Diamonds that I was completely blown away. The clarity from the 802 Diamonds is incredible.

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
Re: Bryston 7B SST Squared----One Pleased Campert
« Reply #22 on: 8 Sep 2011, 12:58 am »
I have been running 7BSSTs for a number of years, and now have 7BSST Squared amps. I'm using them to drive PMC MB2i speakers. I thought the 7BSSTs were good, but the Squares are stupendous. Here's why:

1. They are really more powerful, as shown by the spec sheet, and that extra power shows.

2. The bass is deeper and tighter. Far more percussive, punchy.

3. The new PMC tweeter has really come into its own with these amps - cymbals hit hard are a joy, very metallic, shimmering.

4. Imaging is clearer and more focussed.

5. Voices have come alive - more body, more articulate.

Above all, they make the music more musical, which for me means it makes you sing, to dance. And I mean that literally. Some tracks played through these amps which were meant for dancing forces me out of my chair and I find myself dancing!

It is hard to believe it gets better than this. But Bryston has a way of surprising us.

What will 7BSST Cubed make us do? Fly?

Dave

1oldguy

« Reply #23 on: 8 Sep 2011, 02:21 am »
Dave....I fired up the Seven's tonight.I had AL DI Meola ....Kiss My AXE album.
It was the first time I really can say I heard the album.Everything you described
was how I felt about tonight's fiasco.
It was superb.

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #24 on: 8 Sep 2011, 03:03 am »
Old Guy (I'm one,too): That happened to me, as well. Old albums made new, and music I never listened to before, sounding great. I ripped my wife's Madonna album - techno pop never my thing - but the recording is terrific and the music takes over. Jazz from the 60s, a favourite of mine, made new. Hampton Hawes, Curtis Amy, Gerry Mulligan, all like hearing them the first time. I'm going to have to take a clue from you and scan through to Al Di Meola; some of his recording were very well done. Enjoy!

7BSST Squared - magical.

Dave

95Dyna

« Reply #25 on: 8 Sep 2011, 01:10 pm »
Old Guy (I'm one,too): That happened to me, as well. Old albums made new, and music I never listened to before, sounding great. I ripped my wife's Madonna album - techno pop never my thing - but the recording is terrific and the music takes over. Jazz from the 60s, a favourite of mine, made new. Hampton Hawes, Curtis Amy, Gerry Mulligan, all like hearing them the first time. I'm going to have to take a clue from you and scan through to Al Di Meola; some of his recording were very well done. Enjoy!

7BSST Squared - magical.

Dave

Dial back to 1980 and take a listen to "Splendido Hotel".  The dual between Al and Les Paul on his arrangement of "Spanish Eyes" sounds magical through the 7Bs.  Then another dual, this one between Al and Chick Corea in "Two to Tango".  Blow your sock off stuff.  Fast forward to '02 to his SACD "Flesh on Flesh" and behold a new and funky arrangement of "Senor Mouse".  Geat to hear from some Al Di fans. :thumb:

1oldguy

« Reply #26 on: 8 Sep 2011, 02:57 pm »
Dial back to 1980 and take a listen to "Splendido Hotel".  The dual between Al and Les Paul on his arrangement of "Spanish Eyes" sounds magical through the 7Bs.  Then another dual, this one between Al and Chick Corea in "Two to Tango".  Blow your sock off stuff.  Fast forward to '02 to his SACD "Flesh on Flesh" and behold a new and funky arrangement of "Senor Mouse".  Great to hear from some Al Di fans. :thumb:

Al Di Meola is the bomb.......For what he does no one touches it.He's carved out his own niche that's for sure.

If I may suggest...Check out Walter Rossi.One of the finest period.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #27 on: 8 Sep 2011, 09:28 pm »
Thanks. OMG! 28B's for the 802D's, you do realize your amps cost more than your speakers  :green: I can't wait to hear your comments about how the 7's compare to the 28's for a speaker rated at less than the output of the 7's, let alone the 28's. I have the new gen 802 Diamonds and currently use a 4B-SST to power them so your comments will be most interesting. With so much extra power I wonder if it will be a night and day difference or very, very subtle due to the speakers 500 watt rating. I would really like to get a pair of 7's down the road, 28's crossed my mind but for me personally I just can't spend more on the amp than the speakers. If I had the 800 Diamonds it would be 28's all the way and with a speaker rated at 1000 watts the match with 28's seems ideal.

So are you keeipng the 7's or selling them? If you are keeping them, here's a thought, bi-amp, use the 7's for the HF/MF and the 28's for the BF.  :thumb:

Rod

28Bs on the B&Ws makes perfect sense. Because the power rating is 500 W, oldguy is doubling the power which is ideal. Those speakers should knock him out!