Part 2 SS8s arrived!!!!!

Norman Tracy

Re: Part 2 SS8s arrived!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jul 2016, 06:31 pm »
First off let me say how great it is to have Frank Van Alstine on AudioCircle. The longevity and track record of the man and his company speaks for itself.

My best audiophile/music lover buddy has a Oppo - Audio Research - Magnapan system. Just as described above the Oppo when on full variable out clips the frack out of his Audio Research SP-6 line stage. Back the Oppo output down a few clicks and all is well.

I agree with FVA "rational preamps have their gain stages after their volume control". In my perfect world our hi-fi preamps would follow the practice of mixing boards that place an input attenuate control at the gain stage's input then the line amp then a master volume control. Our obsession with simplification and minimizing parts count in the high-end for decades now has made that architecture unpopular. As CD players and then DACs overtook LP as our sources (and many of these capable of +2 volts or more output) the loss of the input attenuate control to prevent overload and allow signal to noise optimization perhaps should be rethought.

henrylr

« Reply #21 on: 13 Aug 2016, 07:01 pm »
Just curious and not sure what you mean by "the Oppo when on full variable out clips the frack out of his Audio Research SP-6 line stage. Back the Oppo output down a few clicks and all is well." Are you saying you think the oppo running directly to an amp is comparable or better than the SP-6.

Thanks,
henry

Hikmer

« Reply #22 on: 18 Sep 2016, 07:49 pm »
Just for feedback, I've tried going with variable volume direct to my amp and it was not up to my liking...putting my CJ LS17 back in the game makes things a whole lot better.