Bryston WiFi Dongle Accessory Kit

zoom25

Re: Bryston WiFi Dongle Accessory Kit
« Reply #40 on: 16 Feb 2018, 12:13 am »
Is the Bryston dongle limited to 2.4 Ghz or does it also have 5 Ghz antenna? Will the BDP-1 work with 5 Ghz adapters?

R. Daneel

« Reply #42 on: 21 Feb 2018, 08:07 am »
Hi!

What chipset should a WiFi dongle have in order to work with BDP?

Cheers!
Antun

zoom25

« Reply #43 on: 21 Feb 2018, 03:51 pm »
Got the adapter: https://imgur.com/a/Quhfb

No stability issues with Roon now. Both the iMac (w/ Roon Core) and BDP-1 are connected by Wi-fi. Solid connection so far. Latency's also much improved over the previous adapter that I shared. It's instant response in play/pause and loading. No detectable difference to me in latency between ethernet and wifi now. Superb.

The blue LED is a bit bright, so will tape it up.

I have double Jitterbug pictured in the photo just to show that option. Subject to change.

I won't comment on the sound of this adapter (w/ or without Jitterbug) vs. my ethernet w/ LPS powered switch (using either Cat 6 UTP or floating both ends on Cat 6a S/SSTP) as of now.

There are two consistent sonic aspects in particular that have stood out in all the comparisons between the various flash drives/portable drives, ethernet combinations, external usb drives, Jitterbugs, Roon vs. MPD. The first has to do with how the dark the background comes across as. The blacker the background, the more dynamic the music appears as. The second has to do with tightness of the sound. In particular, I've used a lot of percussion, bass and drums for the assessment of this portion. The transient information on drums is such a boon to have. You can really pick apart the air, velocity, attack, and resonance. (It did help me figure out what was wrong with the grounded shielded cables and why I stopped using them - will add that later on to my other post). There is another aspect to the sound (how open and fluid does it sound) that I've been looking at in various combinations. This one is harder to define or look at objectively...it's more of a feeling (at this point).

However, I did notice that the sound was initially very odd all of a sudden that was uncharacteristic. It was bright and screechy which wasn't there with the previous adapter. I knew something was odd right away and went searching. I checked the 'Services' tab and both Roon and MPD were turned ON simultaneously. The CPU was over 30%. I turned MPD off and the CPU dropped off. Currently holding steady at 19%.  Sound returned to normal. Smooth again.

Since updating to the latest firmware, I have noticed that both Roon and MPD can sometimes be left ON together unlike before. It might be a good idea to check up on this from time to time to see what's ON/OFF. I also keep the Samba Server OFF. Just USB mount and Roon Ready turned ON.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #44 on: 21 Feb 2018, 10:22 pm »
Hi!

What chipset should a WiFi dongle have in order to work with BDP?

Cheers!
Antun

The official bryston wifi dongle uses a 802.11n ralink chipset, RT5572 i believe.  But the firmware contains support for chipsets from realtek, atheros and some broadcom.

zoom25

« Reply #45 on: 28 Feb 2018, 08:13 pm »
I'm sticking with my ethernet LPS setup.

The Wifi adapters are very convenient, and didn't have any stability issues. There is something that I noticed inadvertently and I thought I was tripping at first. If you run these off directly of the BDP's bus power, you may want to pay attention to power consumption of these adapters. This can be variable and can result in subtle differences SQ wise. You won't have to worry about this if you offload the adapter to a USB hub, or possibly on BDP-2/3 as they have beefier USB ports. I did try mine off a USB hub and it works fine. If you don't have ethernet in your location and still want the best SQ from the USB adapter, you can power the USB hub with a 5V linear power supply and use Jitterbugs as needed.

The power consumption is variable and can be dependant on whether you are on 2.4 vs. 5 Ghz and how far you are located from your router, as well as how many devices and other routers you have in your area, how close these devices are to the dongle, and what frequency these devices operate on. I have a dual-band router and can assign what devices are on what frequency. I'm not going to explain the whole story as it'll get too long, but you may want to consider BOTH which frequency you are running the dongle at as well as which frequency other devices are running on. The easier they have to work, the better for SQ. This is entirely dependant on your particular area. Again, this can be avoided by offloading to a USB hub.

NHSkier

« Reply #46 on: 4 Apr 2020, 09:34 pm »
For what it's worth, you can also repurpose the Cambridge Audio wireless dongles to work with a BDP-1. I gave it a shot before shelling out for a new wireless adapter on Amazon. It's not quite as seamless as using the Bryston dongle. You won't find that dedicated network waiting for you, but you can use a wired network to change all the settings then reboot and unplug the ethernet cord after the WLAN settings are in there.