Music that was playing in our room at the show -- What's playing in your room?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Hey Guys,

Thanks for your posts and sharing what you've been listening too.

Any Natalie Merchant fans check our her new one? 

http://www.amazon.com/Leave-Your-Sleep-Natalie-Merchant/dp/B002ZCDR88/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1271853307&sr=8-1

I'm going to pick it up soon...

Vinnie

UPDATE:

I did buy this double album and have been listening to it for about a week now.  Quite different from her other work, but very well done and features a diverse range of songs and some are quite catchy.  I'd say NM fans are bound to find a lot to like with here new album (it's been like 6 or 7 years, so its about time  :wink:). 

« Last Edit: 5 May 2010, 01:53 pm by Vinnie R. »

R Browne

The Unthanks - Here's The Tender Coming

Modern take on traditional English folk songs.

R Browne

Ralph Towner/Paolo Fresu - Chiaroscuro

Acoustic guitar/trumpet duo.

R Browne

Dustin O'Halloran - Vorleben

Lovely solo piano recorded live during a concert in a Berlin church. Limited edition CD.

R Browne

hammock - chasing after shadows...living with the ghosts

Monumental, lush and ambient post-rock.

R Browne

Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma

The future of jazz/hip-hop/electronica from a visionary musician/producer. Too much to absorb in one listening.

Les Troubadours Du Roi Baudouin - Missa Luba

Congolese Mass and folk songs recorded in 1958. Popularized as part of the soundtrack of Lindsay Anderson's 1968 film "If..." A classic recording I heard for the first time in a high school music class back in the 60's.

Heather Woods Broderick - From the Ground

Post-folk ballads with moments of neo-classical ambience.

R Browne

Laura Veirs - July Flame

Summer songs from Portland singer/songwriter Laura Veirs

David C.

Wonderful synergy between Stan Getz on tenor sax and Kenny Barron on piano. Five of the songs on this album are Kenny Barron originals. I've been listening to Stan Getz for a long time, but I hadn't really paid much attention to Kenny Barron until I heard this. Got to get more!

R Browne

I've been listening to Stan Getz for a long time, but I hadn't really paid much attention to Kenny Barron until I heard this. Got to get more!

I happen to have a CD called "Night and The City" with Kenny Barron and Charlie Haden that was recorded live at The Iridium in NYC. Recommended.

jimdgoulding

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your posts and sharing what you've been listening too.

Any Natalie Merchant fans check our her new one? 

http://www.amazon.com/Leave-Your-Sleep-Natalie-Merchant/dp/B002ZCDR88/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1271853307&sr=8-1

I'm going to pick it up soon...

Vinnie

UPDATE:

I did buy this double album and have been listening to it for about a week now.  Quite different from her other work, but very well done and features a diverse range of songs and some are quite catchy.  I'd say NM fans are bound to find a lot to like with here new album (it's been like 6 or 7 years, so its about time  :wink:). 

Thanks for the link.  I listened to the video and loved the song.  Interesting to me is that this is on Nonesuch.  They did a good job on Laura Viers' Carbon Glacier.  Again, thanks, I'm ordering it.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Thanks for the link.  I listened to the video and loved the song.  Interesting to me is that this is on Nonesuch.  They did a good job on Laura Viers' Carbon Glacier.  Again, thanks, I'm ordering it.

Hi Jim - you're welcome, and hope you are enjoying it!

I've been enjoying this one:

The Avett Brothers - Emotionalism

The owner of Ramseur Records (http://www.ramseurrecords.net/) contacted me about RWA gear, and I asked him for some recommendations from his label.  I'm glad I did - great album!  I need to check out some of their other offerings...

Happy Listening,

Vinnie

CSI

I happen to have a CD called "Night and The City" with Kenny Barron and Charlie Haden that was recorded live at The Iridium in NYC. Recommended.

If you are getting into Kenny Baron check out his duet album with Regina Carter. Two amazing players for the price of one!

David C.

Two very different interpretations of the Nocturnes by Frederic Chopin.

The music is warm, compassionate and yearning; Chopin is dreaming in the moonlit garden.

The music is dark and moody; Chopin is sulking in his room. From the liner notes:
'I am up to my neck in evening parties, concerts and dances, but they bore me to death; I am sad, and feel so lonely and forsaken here. I must dress, appear with a cheerful countenance in the salons; but when I am again in my room, I give vent to my feelings on the piano, to which, as my best friend in Vienna, I disclose all my sufferings.'

Thanks to R Browne and CSI for the Kenny Barron recommendations; I'll give them a listen.

Earman

Wonderful synergy between Stan Getz on tenor sax and Kenny Barron on piano. Five of the songs on this album are Kenny Barron originals. I've been listening to Stan Getz for a long time, but I hadn't really paid much attention to Kenny Barron until I heard this. Got to get more!
That Stan Getz Bossas And Ballads album is awesome. Stupid that it sat unreleased for so long.

David C.

Vladimir Horowitz, as quoted on the Steingraeber Piano website (www.steingraeber.de):

“The most important thing is to transform the piano from a percussive instrument into a singing instrument .... a singing tone is made up of shadows and colors and contrast ...”

This final recording, made when he was 86, shows just how well he succeeded. This has become my favorite Horowitz album; it never fails to sooth and comfort me.

jimdgoulding

Damn, R Browne, man after my own heart, get down with yer bad self. 

CSI, two of my favorite players.  Good for you, my man.

Profbratsch

Vladimir Horowitz, as quoted on the Steingraeber Piano website (www.steingraeber.de):

“The most important thing is to transform the piano from a percussive instrument into a singing instrument .... a singing tone is made up of shadows and colors and contrast ...”

This final recording, made when he was 86, shows just how well he succeeded. This has become my favorite Horowitz album; it never fails to sooth and comfort me.

You probably have it already but if not please get a hold of Horowitz in Moscow.  It's a Deutsche Grammaphon CD that preserves what must have been a very emotional recital for him...his first in Russia after a fifty+year exile.  The fabulous acoustic venue is captured vividly!  When I am in the mood for piano this is one of the two favorite discs I turn to.  The other one is a Great Performances CD with Leon Fleischer performing the Rachmaninoff Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini...amazing playing before his hand injury. :thumb: :thumb:

David C.

The Congos: Heart of the Congos

Roots reggae featuring beautiful falsetto vocals by Cedric Myton. The mood is one of joyful transcendence.

Thanks for the recommendations Profbratsch. As it happens, I've never listened to Horowitz in Moscow.

cfcjb

Deerhunter's Halycon Digest.
What a stunner of an album. It has the feel of absent minded thoughts on a hot summer's day.
One of the best, if not the best album from a relatively new band I have bought this year.

R Browne

A few recent recommended selections:

Sophie Hutchings - Becalmed

Solo piano and piano with a few supporting instruments. A new fave.

Dustin O'Halloran - Piano Solos Vol. 2

Lovely short solo piano pieces.

bvdub - The Art of Dying Alone

Endlessly drifting ambient music.