Virtue Audio Amplifier power supplies

Paul Hynes

• Facilitator
    • http://www.paulhynesdesign.com
Virtue Audio Amplifier power supplies
« on: 27 Jun 2010, 01:44 pm »
I have now received feedback from several Virtue amplifier owners who have installed either the SR5-30 power supply or a DIY version of the power supply using the PR3HD-30 module. They are reporting across the board audible improvements and the reports are unanimous.

For those who want to see a review of the PR3 module used for this upgrade see :-

http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/hynes_psu_e.html

Please note that the regulator module for DIY use is still £120 but the SR5 has increased to £430 since the review due to increased material and manufacturing costs.

Regards
Paul

dba

• demand better audio
    • Demand Better Audio
Re: Virtue Audio Amplifier power supplies
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2010, 01:15 pm »
After many hours of review and perhaps too many encouraging glasses of wine to focus my attention i can quite simply say that the 'new' sound of my Virtue Audio Sensation M901 with the SR5 is as startling as the original sound of the Sensation to my ears in comparison to other amplifiers sampled...if the amplifier out of the box with the supplied 30v PSU was a pleasing 'sensation' enough, the addition of Paul's PSU is 'sensual' in the extreme.

I can only equal the overall spectral changes to that of adding a 0gain tube buffer, a very good one. The qualities are not simply noticeable in the lower spectrum, which would be usual with having the added power on tap, but more so from vocals all the way to the top........and by top in my situation i mean 28k+ Hz.

Spatially the SR5 really does help a good speaker shine, not just in perceived space from the listening position but dimensionally in the reproduction of the piece. Instrument positioning is more defined in this space and i would equal this to the ability of the amplifier, in its attempt to vary its power requirement in immediate terms, by the ability of the supply to cope with a very fast load differential.

Adding the SR5 to the Virtue Amplifier should be a must, not only in terms of attaining a new clarity of performance but surely its a level of efficiency that would make any low carbon supporter weep with impotency.

Well done Paul and thanks!
Danny.

AndrewH

Re: Virtue Audio Amplifier power supplies
« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2010, 06:01 am »
Any comparison to the GR battery supply?