oppo users

OSIB16

Re: oppo users
« Reply #40 on: 30 Mar 2016, 05:31 pm »

henrylr

« Reply #41 on: 9 Aug 2016, 03:07 am »
This is a very basic question and I'm not looking for ratings. I use my BDP-95 for HT and as my cd music source. It is connected to an Audible Illusions M3A which is connected to an Aragon 8008bb. I use wi-fi to stream netflix movies to it from my computer. The images and sound are pretty good...no flicker. What do I need to stream Hi-Res music to the oppo from the various online sources like Itunes or HDtrack? Maybe there are better online sources but I'm new to this. I don't want a D to A converter because I'm happy with the performance of the bdp95. Would some type of storage device be appropriate for building a library?

Phil A

« Reply #42 on: 9 Aug 2016, 03:18 am »
Sometimes we get carried away, as we are all passionate about our hobby.

That's the truth :lol:

Phil A

« Reply #43 on: 9 Aug 2016, 03:26 am »
This is a very basic question and I'm not looking for ratings. I use my BDP-95 for HT and as my cd music source. It is connected to an Audible Illusions M3A which is connected to an Aragon 8008bb. I use wi-fi to stream netflix movies to it from my computer. The images and sound are pretty good...no flicker. What do I need to stream Hi-Res music to the oppo from the various online sources like Itunes or HDtrack? Maybe there are better online sources but I'm new to this. I don't want a D to A converter because I'm happy with the performance of the bdp95. Would some type of storage device be appropriate for building a library?

I just set-up a Modwright BDP-95 for a friend (fellow Space Coast Audio Society member).  I'm helping a bunch of guys with computer audio.  Many are not computer savvy in the slightest.  For the BDP-95, it is merely a USB hard drive attached along with an Android Tablet (you can use an Android phone too - there is no IOS APP for the BDP-93 or 95).  I used the wifi dongle to connect the BDP-95 to his network and downloaded the Oppo Media Control App (free) on the tablet.  Works well and the person is very happy.  I initially lent him my 2nd system music server and DAC and realized it was just too big an initial leap.  The Oppo Media Control App mirrors what one would see if the player was connected to a display and the (music) folders/files show up as a list.  The BDP-95 can do up to 24/192 and can play a variety of file types - http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-93-faq.html#media-files

talk2me

« Reply #44 on: 5 Sep 2016, 11:30 pm »
I have a highly modded 103 that I use as a transport for my ModWright Elyse DAC (also modded). I am very, very happy with this combo and the new Tidal streaming app sounds great. I am a former Symphonic RG1 MK3 owner.

Phil A

« Reply #45 on: 6 Sep 2016, 12:52 am »
Oppo has a new DAC coming this fall that looks as if it is a combo of a DAC and can do the file playback functions of the Blu-Ray players

henrylr

« Reply #46 on: 11 Sep 2016, 11:48 pm »
I just set-up a Modwright BDP-95 for a friend (fellow Space Coast Audio Society member).  I'm helping a bunch of guys with computer audio.  Many are not computer savvy in the slightest.  For the BDP-95, it is merely a USB hard drive attached along with an Android Tablet (you can use an Android phone too - there is no IOS APP for the BDP-93 or 95).  I used the wifi dongle to connect the BDP-95 to his network and downloaded the Oppo Media Control App (free) on the tablet.  Works well and the person is very happy.  I initially lent him my 2nd system music server and DAC and realized it was just too big an initial leap.  The Oppo Media Control App mirrors what one would see if the player was connected to a display and the (music) folders/files show up as a list.  The BDP-95 can do up to 24/192 and can play a variety of file types - http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-93-faq.html#media-files

Thanks so much for the info and link. I was close to buying a Bluesound Node2 but now, if I understand your post, believe I'll get better performance with my bdp-95 and not have buy any hardware. I don't want to build a library...just stream from some site like tidal; Sounds like it can be done via my computer, which is core I5, or my smart phone and a free app. I'll just have to pay for the Tidal, or whatever site I choose, subscription. Did I understand you post correctly? I'm like some of your friends...not computer savy.

Thanks

Phil A

« Reply #47 on: 11 Sep 2016, 11:51 pm »
Thanks so much for the info and link. I was close to buying a Bluesound Node2 but now, if I understand your post, believe I'll get better performance with my bdp-95 and not have buy any hardware. I don't want to build a library...just stream from some site like tidal; Sounds like it can be done via my computer, which is core I5, or my smart phone and a free app. I'll just have to pay for the Tidal, or whatever site I choose, subscription. Did I understand you post correctly? I'm like some of your friends...not computer savy.

Thanks

Have not set-up Tidal but just a hard drive - have you seen this site?  https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/203131191-Oppo

Phil A

« Reply #48 on: 11 Sep 2016, 11:53 pm »
The above link talks about the BDP 103 and 105.  There is no mention of the BDP-9x

Phil A

« Reply #49 on: 11 Sep 2016, 11:56 pm »
I would call Oppo and ask them.  Their customer service is great.

henrylr

« Reply #50 on: 12 Sep 2016, 12:24 am »
Your right on. I talked with OPPO techs and they are very helpful. I only mentioned Tidal because I'd heard of it. I thought you might be able to tell me if, based on the oppo's capablities, I could stream music, from most any source, to it via my computer or smart phone. I think I mentioned I stream movies to it from my computer so thought that would mean music could also be streamed with the right app on the computer.

Phil A

« Reply #51 on: 12 Sep 2016, 12:57 am »
Your right on. I talked with OPPO techs and they are very helpful. I only mentioned Tidal because I'd heard of it. I thought you might be able to tell me if, based on the oppo's capablities, I could stream music, from most any source, to it via my computer or smart phone. I think I mentioned I stream movies to it from my computer so thought that would mean music could also be streamed with the right app on the computer.

I have streamed it from my NAS as well as an attached hard drive (to the player) to a BDP-103D in a secondary system using the Oppo Media Control App on a smart phone.  I have a BDP-93 in the bedroom system (which functionally us the same as the 95) and the bedroom system feeds the outdoor speakers.  I have accessed the music that is attached to the 93 on a hard drive via an Andriod tablet while outside.  The 93 and 95 only have an Android app and I've talked to Oppo an they are not going to go back and create an IOS App for those players.  It's not a big deal as even though I don't have an Android phone, a tablet is cheap enough (I have a couple of cheap Android tablets I bought and either work fine).  I've not tried to access my NAS with the 93.  I have about 10,000 songs of both CD quality and above on the attached hard drive.  Per the FAQ it should work - http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-93-faq.html#networking   

I have just not tried it as I probably use the outdoor speakers about 10 times a year and 10,000 songs (plus internet radio on the bedroom receiver) is lots of content.  I've also pointed another fellow Space Coast Audio Society in the right directs and he is now using his Oppo 105 with a hard drive and a tablet as well.  It was probably 6 years back when I knew absolutely nothing about computer audio and I would have told anyone that there's no way I'd  ever give up physical media.  I made the decision about 5 years back and probably for the last 4.5 discless playback is pretty much all I use.  Other than when someone comes over with a disc, I've probably not played more than a handful of music discs on three of my downstairs systems, many of those when I was testing a new digital cable I made (and I just did that for something better when other people bring discs over).

Phil A

« Reply #52 on: 12 Sep 2016, 01:02 am »
I should add that at some point I'll likely try streaming from my (Synology) NAS to the BDP-93.  I just have not gotten to it.  With the amount of time I use the outdoor speakers it is not a huge priority.  I don't really use the bedroom system for music.  I have all in ceiling speakers and a couple of subs and a 92 inch screen that folds into the ceiling.  I mainly use it for Netflix, Amazon Prime movies (both via Roku) and sometimes for TV.