Possibility of a new model making its debut at RMAF '10

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
As the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest draws closer, I'm working on a new speaker that might make its debut there.  This particular design draws on some work I did about two decades ago, and recently revisited.  Back then I didn't have the tools and resources that I do today.  In some details it will be a unique design, and in some ways it will resemble designs that others have done.  Sort of like my controlled-pattern offset bipole configuration is in some ways unique, but then in a sense it's just a variation on the bipolar theme. 

When I first worked on the concept two decades ago, I submitted a descriptive article to Speaker Builder magazine.  Fortunately they rejected it; I made some mistakes in that early version that have been corrected. 

At this point I'm waiting on cabinets from my woodworker, which are still a few weeks away.  It will be a fairly large floorstander, deeper than the Jazz Modules.  Where it will depart from conventional designs, and from my previous commercial models, is in how it interacts with the listening room.  The new speaker takes one of the better room-interaction characteristics of my previous models and improves on it somewhat.  In practice, which of my models would work "best" probably will depend on the specific room and anticipated setup, but this new guy will add more flexibility to my lineup.

Duke

Jeffrey Hedback

• Industry Participant
  • Acoustical Design & Consulting
Re: Possibility of a new model making its debut at RMAF '10
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2010, 01:00 am »
This is exciting Duke.  All in the right time huh! 

All the best on this.

Duke

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2010, 01:41 am »
Thank you very much, Jeff!

I was asked about specs, and so here are some preliminaries:

Efficiency:  Mid 90's
Typical in-room bass extension:  Mid to lower 30's
Weight:  About 120 pounds
Dimensions:  44" tall, footprint 15" wide by 22" deep, toe-in not necessary
Price:  Under five grand a pair

cryoparts

« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2010, 10:07 pm »
 :thumb:

Look forward to hearing it, and seeing you and Lori.

Peace,

Lee

Randy

« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2010, 04:35 pm »
I hope to be in Denver in October to check it out, too. Looking forward to it.

Duke

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 28 Aug 2010, 11:21 pm »
Thank you very much, Lee and Randy.

Randy, if you don't mind, stop and introduce yourself to me when you come by.  I like to meet people who have communicated with me on the internet.   

I've recently been communicating outside this forum with Jeff Hedback, who does top-notch custom acoustic design work for studios and home listening rooms (Ozzy Osborne's studio, for example).  Yesterday he sent me a link to a very interesting article, along with some pictures from one of his home listening room projects.  I suspected him of "figuring out" what my new speakers are, because what he had sent me was very much in alignment with what they do, but he denies it. 

Anyway, take a minute to check out some of Jeff's work.  In particular, look at the bottom row, the last two pictures.   He transformed an unsatisfactory room-above-a-garage into what is apparently the best Wilson Sasha installation that Wilson Audio is aware of.

Hey it's my thread... I can de-rail it if I want to, right??

Randy

« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2010, 04:46 pm »

Randy, if you don't mind, stop and introduce yourself to me when you come by. .   

I sure will, Duke.

arthurs

« Reply #7 on: 30 Aug 2010, 02:16 am »

Randy, if you don't mind, stop and introduce yourself to me when you come by.  I like to meet people who have communicated with me on the internet.   

I've recently been communicating outside this forum with Jeff Hedback, who does top-notch custom acoustic design work for studios and home listening rooms (Ozzy Osborne's studio, for example).  Yesterday he sent me a link to a very interesting article, along with some pictures from one of his home listening room projects.  I suspected him of "figuring out" what my new speakers are, because what he had sent me was very much in alignment with what they do, but he denies it. 

Anyway, take a minute to check out some of Jeff's work.  In particular, look at the bottom row, the last two pictures.   He transformed an unsatisfactory room-above-a-garage into what is apparently the best Wilson Sasha installation that Wilson Audio is aware of.

Hey it's my thread... I can de-rail it if I want to, right??

Jeff is da man Duke, interested in seeing what you two cook up!
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2010, 03:11 pm by arthurs »

Jeffrey Hedback

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 1 Sep 2010, 03:42 pm »
Thanks Duke and Art.  Although I do have some suspicions about your new speaker (from the clues at hand)...I really don't know and will glady wait for the unveiling.

Minor clarification about the Joe Dalton room with the Wilson Sasha's, the comment was offered by Craig Hampel (from IL) who is a trained Wilson set representative with great ears and skills (he really knows his craft).  Anyone in a Room Over Garage (ROG) with angled sidewalls might find that room of interest.

Thanks again Duke.