Custom two-piece Planetarium Alpha system

matt.w

Re: Custom two-piece Planetarium Alpha system
« Reply #20 on: 25 Apr 2010, 07:29 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm the one who commissioned these speakers from Duke.

Haven't posted any impressions because, honestly, there's no meaningful feedback I can give. Everything you've read about these speakers is true. I don't have enough experience or access to other gear to give a proper review. But, I do owe Duke some feedback. I will say that I think these speakers sound better than they have any right to sound in a pretty bad acoustic situation (untreated living room with reflective fireplace) and meh electronics (simple class D integrated). Haven't had a chance to fully set them up or fill out the backend due to work and other circumstances.

I can't emphasize enough how much I respect Duke for pursuing designs that take into consideration actual acoustic environments and living situations. Any other speaker would feel like pissing money into the wind, because I'd keep doubting how hampered its performance would be in a real room with minimal treatment.

On top of that, Duke was great to work with. He put up with me graciously, I owe him an apology for my vacillation through the design process. Combine his designs with his service, and he has another customer locked in for life.

The speakers look great in person, the finish is a lot darker than in the photos above. We (my wife and I) did have a panic moment when they arrived- the speakers are large, and appear a lot larger at first in person than if you estimate their size with a tape measure beforehand. But, we adjusted pretty well and they now seem proportional to and well integrated with our living room. Maybe sometime when things are settled I'll post a photo.

A note on how this design came about: originally, I was just looking for a floorstanding version of the Alphas. As things progressed, I thought it would help to future-proof by adding two subs in the base of each speaker for part of a Swarm system. 4 separate subs wouldn't be possible, but two subs + the subs in the speakers could pass the WAF/livability test. At least that was the idea, but I won't be able to add the extra 2 subs in our current room. Given that, I wonder if just going for the Jazz Modules would have been better, but this system does give you slightly enhanced aesthetics, and maybe a touch more bass adjustability, I suppose.

Matt

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #21 on: 26 Apr 2010, 12:19 pm »
Well then it seems like I have you to thank for asking Duke to accommodate you, and Duke to thank for doing so.  When I was considering my next speaker it never occurred to me that Duke might be willing to tweak the recipe a bit to my tastes.  I was going to go with the Jazz Modules until I saw this thread.  While I am sure the JM's would have been just fine, the Alphas with the integrated sub is a better fit for my needs.  And I do have the space for two additional subs, so I will most likely ask Duke to make me up a pair somewhere down the road after my speakers are delivered and they have some time to settle in.

I owe Duke an apology as well...for being a little impatient.  He always seems to be at his best even when I'm not.  I suppose you can say that I'm suffering a bit from loudspeaker withdrawal.

--Jerome

ttan98

« Reply #22 on: 10 May 2010, 02:30 am »
Duke,

Nice one. I like to maintain that the combo waveguide/compression drive and 12/10" woofer will sound very good, with your addition of a 10" sub woofer it will sound even better. I have a similar speaker to yours and it sounds really good except the mid is 10"woofer and a 12" side firing subwoofer. I have yet  to get the side firing woofer working as planned.

I am thinking of upgrading my midwoofer can you tell me what brand of 12"mid-range/mid woofer  you are using at the moment and at what cross over frequencies? Would appreciate a response.

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #23 on: 10 May 2010, 03:51 am »
Hello ttan98,

I understand your curiosity but for now I wish to keep the identity of the midwoofer I'm using in the Planetarium Alpha under wraps. 

The crossover frequency is about 1.5 kHz.

Duke