Latest Live Shows You've Been To...

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Latest Live Shows You've Been To...
« Reply #1100 on: 22 Feb 2014, 05:24 am »
Dweezil and his band were stupendous - two ninety minute sets and then we got to do a meet and greet after the show.
This was a Christmas present to my wife who was not really much of a Zappa fan.
She is now!
The first set was the entire Roxy and Elsewhere album plus a few assorted tunes, the second set covered the spectrum and Dweezil has really come into his own as a guitarist. 
Scheila Gonzalez was just stellar throughout and is easily the best sax player I've ever seen.
The remainder of the band were all up to snuff and they were tight; God knows how much time they must have spent rehearsing.
If you even have a remote interest in Frank Zappa's music, you owe it to yourself to check out Zappa Plays Zappa - they're just great.
A fun night and Lynda now has a Zappa Tote bag signed by all of the band members as a memento.
Real nice people in a really great band.
They really exceeded my expectations.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #1101 on: 22 Feb 2014, 06:53 am »
Eagles last night at SAP Center in San Jose.  Awesome show!...We almost got spat on multiple times by Glenn.

Hmmm. Usually he saves that for Henley... :scratch:

D.D.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #1102 on: 23 Feb 2014, 12:30 am »
Some cell phone pictures taken by my better half:

Audience Participation during The Bebop Tango

your intrepid correspondent taken from his most flattering angle with Dweezil

Airborn

« Reply #1103 on: 23 Mar 2014, 10:50 pm »
Cake at the brand new Brooklyn Bowl in Las Vegas, Friday night March 21, 2014. What a great venue!

The band in action from the third row on the floor :singing:

John McCrea jams :guitar: :guitar:

The Brooklyn Bowl is by far the best indoor concert venue I have been to and rivals great outdoor venues like Red Rocks in CO or Wolf Trap in VA, imo.  While the outdoor venues are great for atmosphere and larger concert experiences like Grateful Dead, for example, the small set up of Brooklyn Bowl was perfect for a band like Cake.  Great show!
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2014, 06:04 am by Airborn »

bside123

« Reply #1104 on: 27 Mar 2014, 10:06 pm »
Lake Street Dive featuring Rachel Price at the Old Rock House in St. Louis, MO.

Products of the Jazz Conservatory, this band is world class. The female, standup, bass player rocks and don't get off it, the guitar player also blows the trumpet, the drummer beats the tambourine to his chest WHILE he's drumming and singing backup, and Rachel Price is absolutely electrifying. Riveting. If you can get a chance to see this band, do it soon while they're still good... 'cause these guys are literally launching to stardom and major commercial success. I was so happy to see "fresh," young talent of this calibre, although I hear that they've been around
for about 10 years trying to make it. Hats off... this band has arrived.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #1105 on: 20 Apr 2014, 09:47 pm »
Wow, thanks for the heads-up on her!  :thumb:

Here's the first song I found:
Rachael Price - "Dedicated to You"

-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM7NZdV1HV0

low.pfile

« Reply #1106 on: 20 Apr 2014, 11:57 pm »

low.pfile

« Reply #1107 on: 21 Apr 2014, 12:21 am »

Well, Prince and 3rdeyegirl at the Fillmore, SF last month, was a "nophotosallowedoryouwillbebooted" show--which I actually appreciated. It was one of his pop-up shows. I finally was at the keyboard at the right time when that was announced. It was a loud though. but awesome to see the Purple one.

Last week, I saw James Vincent McMorrow, at an even smaller venue in Mill Valley. He sounded great!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #1108 on: 21 Apr 2014, 03:37 pm »
you guys finally found them ;)

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=114241.msg1191799#msg1191799
oh, nice.  :duh: :lol:
Good stuff though, she's my new favorite.  :thumb:

decal

« Reply #1109 on: 6 May 2014, 04:25 am »
Just got home from hearing Brit Floyd at the Saenger Theater in Pensacola, Florida.  If you are a fan of Pink Floyd, you owe it to yourself to catch this show. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

ltr317

« Reply #1110 on: 6 May 2014, 04:10 pm »
Southside Johnny and the Ashbury Jukes were the headliners at this past Sunday's Hoboken Art and Music Festival.  Johnny still has the chops.

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #1111 on: 13 Jun 2014, 12:49 pm »
So far a good month for live shows in Detroit with Flaming Lips last night at the Fillmore (it's still The State Theater to me) and Jeff Tweedy last Thursday in The Jack White Theater (very cool venue, smaller theater attached to the Masonic Temple).

ltr317

« Reply #1112 on: 14 Jun 2014, 02:30 am »

Lissie, headlining the annual Madison Square Park Barbecue music block party.  It's the fourth time I've seen her in concert in the past three years.  Lots of music and even more barbecue.  I ate so much pork and beef in one day that I'm still full a week later.   :lol:

low.pfile

« Reply #1113 on: 14 Jun 2014, 03:14 am »
Last month I saw fairly newcomer Banks, at The Independent. She could take off. Very nice sound.

sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naMvm2DUKiE&feature=kp

low.pfile

« Reply #1114 on: 14 Jun 2014, 03:40 am »
Experienced a new "venue" last week: UC Berkeley Botanical Gardens, Berkeley, CA. Locally based Meklit Hadero, and some jazzed up tunes under the Redwoods at sundown!

dB Cooper

« Reply #1115 on: 14 Jun 2014, 05:00 am »
Just got home 90 min ago from seeing John Prine at the Strathmore Music Center in North Bethesda MD. Great performance, great acoustics.

ctviggen

« Reply #1116 on: 14 Jun 2014, 10:36 am »
Wow, thanks for the heads-up on her!  :thumb:

Here's the first song I found:
Rachael Price - "Dedicated to You"

-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM7NZdV1HV0

Lake Street Drive was on the Colbert Report (which you can watch online), and they sounded great then, too.

Phil A

« Reply #1117 on: 14 Jun 2014, 01:26 pm »
Saw Keb' Mo' last Saturday

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #1118 on: 20 Jun 2014, 02:28 pm »
Saw Beck kick off his North American tour last night here in Cleveland.  With his latest album, Morning Phase, being clearly down tempo (and a lackluster Sat Night Live appearance) I expected, for my third Beck concert, for this to be mellow.  NOT!!  He came out (with his superbly great Sea Change session band of 6 addtl musicians) rocking, and almost never stopped.  Amazing show, with the brunt of it being classic alt-hip-hop and rock, at large decibels!  It was a blast.  Go to this tour!!

His Sea Change and Morning Phase portions of the show were very good, slightly more uptempo than the actual albums, and done to perfection with the same musicians who did the originals.  But he did not highlight the new album any more than any other (except Guero, which he did 7 tracks).  Nice digital projections as backdrop, Beck was dancing and running all over the stage, and clearly nailed all the classics (E-Pro, Where's it At, Loser, Devil's Haircut, etc).  Wonderful rock and roll show.

aragon63

• Dorian, Lydian, Phrygian,Jazz Minor
« Reply #1119 on: 28 Jun 2014, 02:23 pm »

Stanley Jordan last night at the Iridium club, NYC