Acoustic Research AR XA Turntable - SOLD!

tlarwa

Acoustic Research AR XA Turntable - SOLD!
« on: 3 Jan 2015, 10:16 pm »
THE TABLE HAS BEEN SOLD!

The AR XA turntable is a venerable classic.  But most of the examples for sale need work; the top plates need to be repainted, the wood bases need to be refinished or the tone arms need to be rewired.  Quite often all three!  This table needs NOTHING.  As the pictures show, it has been fully restored and looks nothing like the functional yet ordinary stock XA. 

Improvements to this table are:
- custom maple and eucalyptus base
- top plate refinished in Ferrari red
- tonearm rewired with Litz wire
- separate rear phenolic connector plate with RCA jacks and ground terminal
- new belt (proper length and width)
- new Delrin tonearm spindle and platter spindle bushings
- highly polished tonearm and platter spindles (progressive polishing up to 2000 grit cloth)
- epoxy filled and balanced drive pulley
- improved tonearm rest
- the stock tonearm damping has been disabled as recommended

The motor is dead quiet and the speed is spot on and stable.  The table is properly grounded and has zero him.  The polished spindles and new Delrin bushings allow the platter to spin all day!  And the highly polished platter has a new felt mat which was specifically made for the table (not a DIY effort).  The stock headshell is in perfect condition, with good threads (a common issue) and fully functional cartridge wires with solid solder connections.  I am also including a new aftermarket headshell, which is also in perfect condition.  So you can have a spare cartridge mounted and ready to go when needed!  Also included is a vintage Shure M91ED cartridge body with a new SC-35 stylus which I used to listen to mono recordings.  You can easily replace the SC-35 with a stereo stylus if desired.

This table sounds fantastic, and is in better than new condition.  I'm only selling to fund another audio purchase, and because it's a 2nd table that doesn't get much use.  I truly hope it finds a good home with someone who will use it and enjoy it often!

SOLD.  I have successfully shipped several turntables with ZERO issues, so don't worry about getting this safely.  I will pack it with foam corner protection (as well as bubble wrap on all sides), with the platter removed and the tonearm spindle and arm removed from the bearing well and taped securely to the top plate.  Shipping will be a flat $30 in the CONUS.  Because of the nature of vintage electronics, I do not accept returns.

« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2015, 09:03 pm by tlarwa »