My new CAPS V2+ build; best digital I've heard

firedog

Re: My new CAPS V2+ build; best digital I've heard
« Reply #80 on: 5 Nov 2012, 02:33 pm »
 04dgmsilv-

looks fantastic, what are you using for storage?

04dgmsilv

« Reply #81 on: 5 Nov 2012, 06:46 pm »
I stream everything from a Synology NAS, works great.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #82 on: 5 Nov 2012, 06:47 pm »
Which model?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #83 on: 5 Nov 2012, 06:55 pm »

What is your streaming player?  Why stream vs using the NAS as a file server (I just point J River to my NAS and use it as a file server)?

04dgmsilv

« Reply #84 on: 6 Nov 2012, 02:13 am »
I have the DS413.  I guess I was a bit loose with my terminology. I am just using it as a file server for the CAPS.  I also run Logitech media server on it and a dlna server for videos and photos to other devices around the house.

hum4god

« Reply #85 on: 18 Nov 2012, 12:35 am »
Hi

i just received the caps v2+ from Jason and spent all afternoon trying to connect it to my system .
its running windows 8 trial version.
i connected to the internet , mouse and keyboard , jriver 17 loaded and recognized my music very fast on my seagate external Hd , and then i got stuck .

it seems like the caps does not recognize my Jkenny jkspdif mk3 which is basically a modified m2tech evo .
it requires drivers to run on the pc , which i installed but my guess is that they are not compatible w/ windows 8 . or i missed something else .
 i have used the jkenny w/ my pc and just for fun also connected it to my laptop this afternoon and it works .

the unit does not show up in the output devices list .

now i am wondering if i should still buy the full version windows 8 and get another spdif to usb converter ?    what do you guys use , and did anybody run into driver incompatibility issues w/ windows 8 ?

or i install windows 7 which i would like to avoid having heard that windows 8 sounds better.

i contacted j kenny and m2tech for clarification but most likely the drivers available do not work w/ windows 8 .

any help is much appreciated .

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #86 on: 18 Nov 2012, 01:16 am »
I am running a C.A.P.S. V2+/JRiver v.18 with Windows 8.  Before this though I was running Windows 7 with Foobar2000.  I also had JK MKII converter.  I decided that there were just too many very good choices in USB capable DACS.  So I sold my MKII and DAC and bought a Lindemann 24/192 USB DAC and was very happy.  For $1,100, it is a very nice sounding DAC.

However, I now have the DSD disease and am currently running the Mytek 192 DAC(on loan from Ted_b  :thumb:) via USB from the C.A.P.S. and couldn't be happier (unless Ted_b loans me his Meitner DAC which ain't going to happen.  :lol:).

My suggestion would be to sell the JK converter and do what I did.  Believe me you won't miss the SPDIF and you won't look back.  You have a great sound card in the Sonore which does USB very well.

Regards

Randy

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #87 on: 18 Nov 2012, 01:48 am »
I have installed the M2Tech Evo drivers on Windows 8 full release and prerelease versions in compatibility mode and it works correctly here without issues. Did you do the install the driver from the Desktop environment?

I used the Windows 7 driver with Windows 8.

hum4god

« Reply #88 on: 18 Nov 2012, 02:04 am »
I have installed the M2Tech Evo drivers on Windows 8 full release and prerelease versions in compatibility mode and it works correctly here without issues. Did you do the install the driver from the Desktop environment?

I used the Windows 7 driver with Windows 8.

Hi

well that gives me hope that i did something else wrong .
installing the driver from desktop environment , i don't know what that means.
honestly . windows 8 still takes some getting used to . i am having a hard time just finding my usual stuff like control panel etc .

so if you could give it to me in baby steps how you installed the evo driver that would be much appreciated .
i will try again after i ate something to calm my nerves ...

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #89 on: 18 Nov 2012, 02:13 am »
If you connected the M2Tech Evo before the software driver was loaded on the machine that might cause a problem.  Do not connect the Evo during the following process until you are sure the driver is loaded.

First go the the Control Panel, look at Programs loaded and see if the M2Tech driver software shows as being installed.  If, so try connecting the Evo to a different USB port and see what happens.  If you do not see it in the list do not connect the Evo yet.

If it is not installed, go to the Windows desktop panel in Windows 8, open up the file folder.  Find where the M2Tech Evo Windows 7 driver file is located.

Double click the Windows 7 version M2Tech Evo driver.  It should then install.  After you are sure it installed, then connect the M2Tech Evo.

You will need to select the Evo as the output device in your JRiver MC17 music player.   

hum4god

« Reply #90 on: 18 Nov 2012, 05:36 am »
windows 8 is driving me nuts on the caps.  i tried what you suggested but it still doesn't work .
the programs loaded on the caps that show on the control panel are only jriver17 jriver 18 and usb 3 host controller driver.
i downloaded the driver for evo from the m2tech webpage and extract all and then run it , then connect the evo but it still does not show up as an audio device .
if i go into device manager i can find the hiface in sound video and game controller but when i click on it it says that no drivers are installed for this device.
i feel really stupid and don't know what i am doing wrong , i performed the exact same setup on my laptop this afternoon and it took me 5 min.

If you connected the M2Tech Evo before the software driver was loaded on the machine that might cause a problem.  Do not connect the Evo during the following process until you are sure the driver is loaded.

First go the the Control Panel, look at Programs loaded and see if the M2Tech driver software shows as being installed.  If, so try connecting the Evo to a different USB port and see what happens.  If you do not see it in the list do not connect the Evo yet.

If it is not installed, go to the Windows desktop panel in Windows 8, open up the file folder.  Find where the M2Tech Evo Windows 7 driver file is located.

Double click the Windows 7 version M2Tech Evo driver.  It should then install.  After you are sure it installed, then connect the M2Tech Evo.

You will need to select the Evo as the output device in your JRiver MC17 music player.

hum4god

« Reply #91 on: 18 Nov 2012, 06:28 am »
i just had some partial success .looking at the m2tech evo manual helped a little and after a restart of the caps i actually got sound from the regular usb outs on the caps and jriver recognizes the spdif device ,     BUT   ,

still no sound from the sotm usb out , darn . i will open up the unit and see if here is a connection missing perhaps ??
everything looks good on the inside .
so what could that be if only the usb outs from the motherboard recognize the m2tech evo but the sotm usb out seems blind ?
could it be that i installed the drivers only for the usb outs on the motherboard ?
strange , strange .
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2012, 07:32 am by hum4god »

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #92 on: 18 Nov 2012, 12:14 pm »
If JRiver is seeing the M2Tech Evo via the normal USB port and playing music then you have everything working.  The Evo does not use USB power, it uses power from the external power supply.  Should be a very quiet setup like mine here.

Someone familiar with the SoTM USB board will need to help.  Does it need a driver to be loaded?   Do you see it in the Hardware list for the computer under Control Panel in the USB devices?

Just some thoughts.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #93 on: 18 Nov 2012, 12:57 pm »
There is a small switch on the front of the SOTM card.  It allows you to either use or not use the C.A.PS. As the power source for the USB.  Try the switch in the other position.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #94 on: 18 Nov 2012, 12:59 pm »
There is a small switch on the front of the SOTM card.  It allows you to either use or not use the C.A.PS. As the power source for the USB.  Try the switch in the other position.
Good point.  The simple check for this is to plug a USB stick in the SOtm and see if it's seen.  Then flip the switch....this way you will know if it's on or not.

hum4god

« Reply #95 on: 18 Nov 2012, 04:54 pm »
First of all i would like to say that i am very grateful for everyone who chimes in and tries to help.

so here are my latest findings.
when i connect a usb stick in the sotm card output it is recognized only with power on.
when i plug in the Evo at either setting (power on or off) it is still not recognized .

looking into device manager .  when the evo is connected to the usb out from motherboard it says everything is working properly , drivers installed . and this is the way it works .
if i connect to the sotm usb out it still shows up on the device manager list but says that no drivers are installed for this device.
now what?   

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #96 on: 18 Nov 2012, 05:37 pm »
Here would be my method of attach.

Power down the unit and remove the Evo USB cable.

Reboot the macine.

Deinstall the Evo driver.

Reboot the macine.

Install the Evo driver.

Power off the Evo.

Connect the Evo to the USB bus and then power up the Evo with the external supply. 

Watch to see of the Evo driver is being installed from the desktop.

hum4god

« Reply #97 on: 18 Nov 2012, 09:19 pm »
thanks HAL

i tried that , did a total uninstall and reinstall and end up w/ the same phenomena .
the driver installs and the evo shows up in jriver player as source but ony from the usb out of the motheboard.
as soon as i connect to the sotm usb out i get the messages in device manager that no drivers are installed , but if i go to driver update it tells me that my driver is up to date . and yes i did the whole driver reinstall by connecting to the sotm usb .
in jriver the evo only shows as a source when connected to the motherboard usb out , when connected to the sotm card it does not appear in the menu.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #98 on: 18 Nov 2012, 09:43 pm »
Have not run JRiver MC17 on Win8 with the SoTM card, so that was the best advice I have. 

The SoTM device driver would be my only other suggestion. 

Since the Evo works with the motherboard USB2 ports, that is the one possiblity that I see. 

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #99 on: 18 Nov 2012, 10:02 pm »
I am in Houston airport and coming back from week long travel, arriving midnight tonite.  I will chime in tmrw if this is still an issue.  Make sure power molex is attached to SotM card.  And makes rue m2tech driver is installed, probably in win7 compatibility mode.