Power Supply old versus new: 9 versus 9.9

roadkingraw

Power Supply old versus new: 9 versus 9.9
« on: 9 Mar 2013, 04:32 pm »
I told Dan I would write something up for him and since there was an inquiry I figured it was time.  Out of curiousity I asked Dan about doing a comparison of PS since I was not ready to sell my Sony 5400 for the next great thing (Oppo 105).  Think of the PS 9.9 as a very scaled down version of the DM power supply with the dual mono version of the 36.5 preamp.  It was pretty apparent to me upon hearing the 9.9 compared to the 9 that there was definately a difference.  Pinning down that difference took a little more time but without a long diatribe I will try to be brief.  What the 9.9 does better than the 9 is that is does a much better job at seperating voices, instruments and space than the older power supply.  For instance, listening to The Dance on the Dave Koz disc "The Dance" near the beginning of the track a set of chimes is played running down each individual chime.  The PS 9 does a great job of portraying this.  However, with the 9.9 in place you can actually hear and visualize each individual chime being struck and it portrays the movement down the chimes much clearer.  Almost as if the slightest last bit of smear is removed.  I also noticed with the sticato pluck of string instruments that I could actually feel each individual pluck of the string and hear it more clearly.  There also appeared to be perhaps a slightly larger soundstage both L to R and F to B.  I can not say for sure if this was just the clarity and detail now revealed in the music or it was reality.  What I can say is that it just sounded better!

In all instances of listening to my favorite equipment review songs I just noticed that there was just a touch of grunge removed from each song.  I can liken it to taking the top layer of skin off of an onion to actually get to the onion.  I liked the new PS 9.9 and happily returned my old PS 9 for the upgrade.  At this time I feel it is money well spent as i am not ready to drop another $3500 into a player when the 5400 does just fine.  I think anyone making this swap will be very happy with the difference and realize just how important power supply is. 
Thanks for the reasonable upgrade Dan!
Randy
« Last Edit: 9 Mar 2013, 07:06 pm by roadkingraw »

talk2me

Re: Power Supply old versus new: 9 versus 9.9
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2013, 08:03 pm »
The new PS is the 9.0. Great item.

JG2

« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2013, 10:46 pm »
The new PS is the PS9.9

roadkingraw

« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2013, 07:09 pm »
Correct.  The new powersupply is labled 9.9  The differences between the 9.0 and the 9.0 are readily and visably identifiable.   If future upgrades to the PS are done that are not as easily identified from the outside, I think the intent may be to relable the PS so the staff can tell what itteration of the PS you may have if questions arise with your product and version.  Just my thought. :|

ufokillerz

« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2013, 04:11 am »
the power supply board is apparently labeled version 10.2

Chris2005

« Reply #5 on: 2 Apr 2013, 05:09 pm »
Is that an upgrade also available and worthwhile for the older SWLP 9.0 pre power supply?

JerryH

« Reply #6 on: 2 Apr 2013, 08:05 pm »
I kinda doubt it Chris. The umbilical is completely different from the SWLP. I'm sure Dan will chime in though.

I didn't read your feedback until now roadkingraw. I received the PS on Friday and was assessing it much over the weekend. I totally agree with your perception. In fact I even used some of the same terminology in describing the difference.  Less smearing, attack and delay of individual instruments is clearer, able to sort out more complex music and not sound congested.

One of my favorite recordings is Coltrane Alternate Takes from HDTracks. This PS moves me a few rows closer and maybe on the front of the stage. It is a fantastic recording made even better with the 9.9. David Chesky's Area 31 is one my tests for sorting out complicated music and arrangements. There's new depth there though not as pronounced. That's where I'm able to hear greater attack or lead in and trailing delay or reverb etc. More space around the instruments even in this recording.

This is on the Oppo 95. Great upgrade!