KWA 100SE vs. 150/150SE

Chris2005

KWA 100SE vs. 150/150SE
« on: 20 Nov 2012, 11:11 am »
I  am thinking about upgrading my amp and would appreciate advice regarding the Modwright amps. I currently have a tube-rectified Sig. 9.0 SWLP which I currently run with a Red Wine 30.2 amp (speakers currently Zu and probably Daedalus in the future). My idea is that the KWA 100/150 will be a good fit with the Sig. 9.0 and give me a bit more of bass slam, resolution and some tube-like magic and tonal density. Assuming this idea makes basically sense, I wonder about the respective differences and merits of the KWA 100SE vs. the KWA150 (or possibly even stretching for the 150SE). I read the comparison chart  of the amps on the Modwright website and on paper there seems to be relatively little difference, and I also noted that in the 6moons review of the 100SE the reviewer praises the amp even in comparison (although from memory) to the KWA 150. On the other hand, the much higher weight, and also price, of the KWA150 indicates that it is the much "better" amp.
The other question of course is to what extent my Sig 9.0 will allow me to hear these differences or will then be the weak link in the chain.

Any advice is very much welcome.

Scottdazzle

Re: KWA 100SE vs. 150/150SE
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2012, 07:47 pm »
Chris,

I am a Modwright representative so feel free to take my comments with whatever degree of skepticism you feel appropriate.

I auditioned the KWA 100 before buying the KWA 100SE. The SE version is significantly better sounding imo. Larger soundstage, greater dynamic range, more bass punch, and generally more refined sounding. I use mine with Daedalus Athena speakers and they are a match made in heaven. Your Sig 9.0 SWLP will be a fine match and you might want to eventually upgrade to the LS-100.

Scott

jfsing

« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2012, 08:15 pm »
How would the 36.5 compare?

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2012, 09:51 pm »
I use a Modwright LS36.5DM with the KWA 150SE.  I've also heard Scott's set-up (which sounds great).  I'd go with the SE as well. With my room (extremely large with a 19 foot ceiling) and speakers (not the easiest load in the world - Thiel 3.7s), I need the additional power and will when I eventually move as the new room will be about the same size (perhaps a hair smaller) with a 12 ft. ceiling.  Scott's speakers are very efficient and not a dificult load and he has plenty of power to spare in his room.

Chris2005

« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2012, 08:21 pm »
Thank you for your input. Can you also comment on the difference between the KWA 100SE and the 150 (non-SE)?

Chris

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 21 Nov 2012, 08:36 pm »
Thank you for your input. Can you also comment on the difference between the KWA 100SE and the 150 (non-SE)?

Chris

Chris - have not heard the non-SE amps but if you need the power you may wish to eventually upgrade it by sending it off to Dan and may wish to take that into account (cost/time when it is shipped out for upgrade).  When one goes to Modwright's site and looks at the products, the 150 is not even an option so I'm not sure it is still a current model (and if it is not, like most other things is not worth as much as a current model).  Below is a spec/features comparison from Modwright's site on the amps and pre-amps. 

jfsing
The preamps also function differently in HT Bypass.  The LS100 needs to be turned on when using that function.  The 36.5 will default to bypass when off.   I've not had the opportunity to directly compare them but believe that 6 Moons may have so you may wish to look at their reviews.

http://www.modwright.com/product-comparisons.php

Scottdazzle

« Reply #6 on: 21 Nov 2012, 10:55 pm »
I have only heard the KWA 150SE which is a state of the art amp.  I think Phil A is correct in saying the 150 has been discontinued.

fado

« Reply #7 on: 22 Nov 2012, 02:21 am »
The KWA 150 is still on the Modwright site. I have not heard that it has been discontinued only that, with the introduction of the "SE" model, very few straight 150's are being ordered as new. The several cognoscenti I consulted while shopping recommended the KWA 150 over the 100SE. I have not heard the the 100SE. I ended up purchasing a used KWA 150 which I later upgraded to the SE version. I use it with the Modwright LS100 preamplifier and Daedalus Audio DA-RMa speakers. I have extremely limited experience with other amps, preamps and speakers - I only know that I am very very satisfied with this combination.

NOTES:
1.  My initial decision to upgrade to the KWA 150SE was largely driven by a nervous disposition which needed to regain the five year warranty in order to concentrate on the music. The "SE" version is clearly a step up but I could have stayed with the straight 150 without regret or yearning for a long time.
2. Modwright and Daedalus take extraordinarily good care of their customers.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #8 on: 22 Nov 2012, 02:49 am »
I bought a KWA 150 in May 2009 and loved it--an excellent amp in all repsects. It blew the socks off of my Bryston 4B ST and Musical Fidelity A-5cr. On the advice of Lou Hinkley, I had it upgraded to the SE at the end of 2011 and it is one of the best audio decisions I have made. A significant upgrade in the overall musical presentation and resolution, especially clarity, detail, soundstage and bass control. The upgrade was more than worth the cost. If you can afford it, get the 150SE. It might be the last amp you buy.

Laura

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 22 Nov 2012, 02:52 pm »
It might be the last amp you buy.

Laura

I concur.  I've had a bunch in my systems over the years.  I got the LS36.5DM first and before the KWA-150SE, I had a Bryston 14BSST and it did not drive the Thiel 3.7s as well (even though it is rated as having much more power - 900W into 4 ohms) nor sound as good.  I got the preamp to get out of the race of getting a pre/pro with constant changing technology on the video side.  I can change the pre/pro at any time and still have 2-channel the way I want it.  Part of my decision making process was a review by the Inner Ear of the preamp and my Bryston amp.  While that combo sounded excellent, the KWA150SE was notches up on it.

JerryH

« Reply #10 on: 25 Nov 2012, 04:58 pm »
I was using the SWLP with the 100SE and I loved the combination. It will not be a weak link at all. I came across an LS100 that I'm using now, primarily for the headphone output.
I enthusiastically also suggest you swap out the rectifier for the EML 5U4G mesh. It will add a bit of the tube warmth  without sacrificing detail. The SWLP is a great preamp and even better with the EML.
The 100SE matches very well and in my situation did add more of the bass slam, but I'm not familiar with the Red Wine. It is the finest amp I've ever owned in a fairly long lineup and one I  intend to keep for a very long time.

Chris2005

« Reply #11 on: 25 Nov 2012, 06:35 pm »
Thank you for all your input!