RAD Micro demo anyone?

Brian Bunge

RAD Micro demo anyone?
« on: 28 Dec 2003, 02:46 am »
It seems there have been a few people, both on AudioCircle and via email, that have been interested in the Micros as of late.  I wanted to get a quick idea of how many people might be interested of a 1 week in home demo for the Micros.

If so, we'll do like most others running in home demos.  I'll need each person interested in the demo to contact me and give me their CC info to secure the value of the speakers in case of any issues.  Each person will be responsible for covering the cost of shipping to the next person's residence.

So let me know if you're interested and also feel free to ask any questions in this thread.

jackman

RAD Micro demo anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2003, 02:51 am »
Brian, they look really cool.  I have a friend who would like to see them when he gets back from vacation.  I'd also like to try them with my Sharp player.  Will give you an email to set it up next week.

Thanks!

Jack

Brian Bunge

RAD Micro demo anyone?
« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2003, 03:10 am »
Jack,

Cool.  I currently have 4 pair sitting around the shop so I've got them ready to go.  The only down side is that they all have those little spring clip terminals on them instead of the binding posts I'm using now.  But other than that, they're identical to what we have been selling for quite some time.  Interest, and therefore sales, have been down as of late so I'm hoping this will help get some interest started in them again.

BTW, what Sharp player are you referring to?  What type of system is the Sharp being used in?  I'm asking just for my own personal interest! :)

jackman

RAD Micro demo anyone?
« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2003, 03:27 am »
Hi Brian,
I picked up one of those inexpensive Sharp 1 bit minidisc systems a couple months ago.  I was lucky enough to have gotten it for $129.  I forgot the model number but it's the one with the separate amp/power supply and vertically loading CD and MD.  I'm using some cheap Boston Acoustic speakers that sound very bad, however it's my bedroom system and rarely gets turned up anyway.  The little Micro's might be what the doc ordered.  

I have a friend who is in need of speakers, however he doesn't believe single driver types like the Micro's can sound good.  i trust your ability and have no doubt he is in for an eye opener.

J

Brian Bunge

RAD Micro demo anyone?
« Reply #4 on: 28 Dec 2003, 04:08 am »
Jack,

The Micros would probably be excellent for the JVC system.  I'd much rather have a quality "full range" driver vs. a crappy little driver and tweeter for a small speaker such as this.  

I don't remember the specifics, but quite a while back I did I quick and dirty test in our shop to see how loud I could turn them up before I noticed audible distortion.  I threw in a Metallica CD and ran the Micros full range with no sub.  The room is approx. 20x30x15 with concrete floors and walls and the Micros were probably a good 3-4 feet from the back wall.  IIRC, from a few inches away from one speaker I was getting good peaks in the mid/upper 80dB range with my Rat Shack meter.  From about 6 feet back I believe I was in the mid-70dB range.  I figure not too bad for such small speakers in such a large room with such demanding material! :)

JackStraw

RAD Micro demo anyone?
« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan 2004, 02:28 pm »
This trial sounds like fun. The front port should make these easy to place, especially close to walls in a small room. This is exactly the situation in my office system. What driver is used in these speakers?

The trick is that I don't have a low powered tube amp, here they'd see an Acurus DIA-100 MkII. If I'm very ginger with the volume knob, they should be fine, right? This probably isn't the best match for the speakers, but if they sound good then I could consider getting a tube amp for them.

Brian Bunge

RAD Micro demo anyone?
« Reply #6 on: 6 Jan 2004, 02:38 pm »
The driver is the Tang Band W3-871S.  It's a great little driver.  I tried at least 4 other 3" drivers before settling on this one.  I wouldn't worry about the power rating very much.  As with all other speakers, just use good judgement.  If you start to hear them straining, turn it down. :)

I was running them with a 100W per channel receiver and they were more than loud enough to use an anyone's office.

JackStraw

RAD Micro demo anyone?
« Reply #7 on: 6 Jan 2004, 04:56 pm »
Cool. That looks like it's different from the nOrh 3. This trial should be fun. I'll give you a call later today or tomorrow to get everything arranged.

Brian Bunge

RAD Micro demo anyone?
« Reply #8 on: 7 Jan 2004, 02:11 pm »
Looks like the only people interested are named Jack!  :)

I was out of the shop most of the day yesterday, but I'll be here all day today if you want to give me a call.  I look forward to talking with you.

audiojerry

RAD Micro demo anyone?
« Reply #9 on: 7 Jan 2004, 07:22 pm »
Brian, that is an awfully good looking speaker for only $200/pr.
Do you make these to order? I was wondering if you've tried porting it out of the rear to allow for bass reinforcement if placed close to a wall.

On another note, I just visited your website, and noticed the prices for Criterion and Diluceo finished cabinets. They were priced as "each" instead of "per pair". Is that correct?

Brian Bunge

RAD Micro demo anyone?
« Reply #10 on: 7 Jan 2004, 07:36 pm »
Jerry,

Thanks, I'm kind of fond of them myself! :)

Yes, we do build them to order.  I have not tried porting out the back yet but could do so relatively easily.  I may have to rearrange the binding posts a bit though.  If I put the port directly behind the driver that leaves only about 1" between the back of the shielding cup and the end of the port.  Probably not a real issue with a 1" diameter port though.  I could probably put the port down where the binding posts are and move them up towards the center of the back.  One reason I chose to put the port on the front was to allow for threaded inserts in the back in case someone wants to wall mount them.  The white pair I posted pics of somewhere on this forum are my sister's and that's exactly what we did.  She had to mount them high on the wall as surrounds.

The binding posts look like these:

An actual cup takes up a bit too much real estate on the back of these little guys.  The demo pairs that I have were built before I decided to step up to something that would accept banana plugs and use the little spring loaded terminals like these:

I'm veneering a pair tomorrow in figured cherry for a customer.  Those are going to look absolutely awesome!  :)

Brian Bunge

RAD Micro demo anyone?
« Reply #11 on: 7 Jan 2004, 08:24 pm »
I thought I'd show you guys what the figured cherry looks like.  I just finished a pair of Metals in it.  Here are a couple of pics.  Let me know if they're too dark.  For some reason I have trouble with brightness on my laptop.

Brian Bunge

RAD Micro demo anyone?
« Reply #12 on: 8 Jan 2004, 02:25 pm »
Well, JackStraw is the first person to step up and request a demo pair of the Micros.  I'll be sending him out the cherry pair probably first of next week.  With good ol' UPS it'll take a full week to get to him and I promised to give him a week or two to audition them since they're not really broken in yet.

If anyone else on the west coast wants to hear them at that time I'll make sure he sends them on to you when he's done.

TowJumper

RAD Micro demo anyone?
« Reply #13 on: 9 Jan 2004, 07:29 pm »
If the Micros will be ready for me Brian I will make a trip to see you and pick them up.  

My case up your way settled today so I will make the trip straight to Rutledge - how is Wed?  With no work to worry about, I will be happy to bring my Von Schweikerts to play with if you want to hear them and compare to the GRs.

Of course I will report back here my observations of the Micros (after break in).

Miguel

Brian Bunge

RAD Micro demo anyone?
« Reply #14 on: 9 Jan 2004, 07:34 pm »
Miguel,

Wednesday will be fine.  We've got 2 coats of poly on your Micros so you should be all ready by then.  If possible, Tuesday would probably be even better.  But whatever day you can make it will be fine.

Let me know for sure and I'll either email or PM you directions.

TowJumper

RAD Micro demo anyone?
« Reply #15 on: 9 Jan 2004, 10:11 pm »
Tuesday is good also.

Send me the directions via email when you get a chance. :)

Miguel

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
RAD Micro demo anyone?
« Reply #16 on: 14 Jan 2004, 01:39 pm »
Brian, yes the pics are a bit too dark.  I am photo challenged myself, so I empathize.  
Anyway, the figured cherry looks rich!  I've never seen any of that veneer in person, but it looks like a winner.  As usual, you did a great job!

JackStraw

RAD Micro demo anyone?
« Reply #17 on: 18 Feb 2004, 02:19 pm »
Quote from: Brian Bunge
Well, JackStraw is the first person to step up and request a demo pair of the Micros.  I'll be sending him out the cherry pair probably first of next week.  With good ol' UPS it'll take a full week to get to him and I promised to give him a week or two to audition them since they're not really broken in yet.

If anyone else on the west coast wants to hear them at that time I'll make sure he sends them on to you when he's done.

My demo Micros arrived on 2/6, and I immediately plopped them into my office system. This pairs them with a 100W Acurus DIA-100 MkII and a portable Philips CDP. I had a few good days with them, but unfortunately since then I have been traveling and moving simultaneously so time is very limited. I'm looking forward to trying them out in our new house as well, and I'll post a more detailed review after I've done that, but I wanted to post quick impressions here.

1) They play PLENTY loud for small/medium rooms. I was afraid of driving them with my 100W amp, but I have been able to crank it to almost half volume without straining -- and that's too loud.
2) They are small, small, small - dimensions are on RAD's web site, but suffice it to say that the footprint is only slightly larger than a CD case.
3) They excel on acoustic guitar and male voices.
4) There is no bass, but I was surprised at the impact in midbass, midrange, and treble. Trumpet blasts had my cats running out of the room.
5) They are handsome little devils, they look nothing like $100/ea.

More to come when I have spent more time with the speakers, but I encourage more people to sign up for this demo.