Bdp-1 with DAC other than bda-1 ?

mv

Bdp-1 with DAC other than bda-1 ?
« on: 5 Jun 2012, 07:56 pm »
Has anyone compared bdp-1 with bda-1 vs. bdp-1 with another DAC, and found a better DAC than the bda-1 in about the same price range?

How about the bdp-1 and the NAD M51 ?

ronman

Re: Bdp-1 with DAC other than bda-1 ?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2012, 09:36 am »
Hi

I had the Wadia 64.4 dac when the BDP-1 & DBA-1 arrived. Using the BDP-1 as the source I compared the 64.4 against the DBA-1  (using 16bit 44k ripped cds). The two dac's, despite their difference in technologies and age (oh  and size....the BDA-1 is tiny and feather light in comparison), had a very very similar tone and character. I sold the Wadia dac (with the transport as the buyer was insistent he wanted the matching pair) and kept the BDA-1 mainly because the BDA-1 could "read" the higher sample rates of hi-def music, which I understood to be potentially the way forward.

ronman

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jul 2012, 06:56 pm »
Had the BDP-1 running into a Wadia 6 on the weekend. The BDA-1 sounded better (more "live") and could play the higher resolution downloads.

Now to find a Wadia 9 series!!

ronman

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2012, 07:58 am »
I recently compared a Cambridge 840 cd player against the Bryston BCD-1. As the Cambridge has a decent onboard DAC I plugged the BDP-1 into it. The BDP-1 into the 840 was enjoyable. After extensive listening via the 840's DAC the BDA-1 & BDP-1 is still the better combination. The BDP-1 and 840 combo was a little "flat" in depth and wasn't as full sounding, the sound stage was a lot lower and narrower too.   

uncouth

« Reply #4 on: 1 Sep 2012, 06:39 pm »
I've been using the BDP with my Rega DAC since purchasing, but finally decided to sell the Rega to help facilitate a BDA purchase. The Rega does a fine enough job, but auditioning the BDA did make a difference.

ronman

« Reply #5 on: 7 Oct 2012, 06:43 pm »
Good Fortune recently smiled upon me........and allowed me to buy a dCS classic stack    (verona, elgar plus, and a verdi encore)             Oh. I also upgraded the Mark Levinson 38S pre-amp to the 380S. It's fats but amazing week!!

Connected the BDP-1 to the Elgar Plus (DAC)....holy crap it!  :D :D  :D :D    What an amazing sound improvement. I really battled to tell the difference between the cd playing in the transport and the BDP-1 playing the same album.

Next I connected the BDP-1 to the cd transport (verdi encore)...so the signal could pass through that into the master clock (verona) into the DAC (elgar plus)......16 bit 44k cd on hard drive just became hi-def music !! :o :o:o  I was floored by the BDP-1 and dCS combo !!    massive music library and convenience plus divine sound  !!   This Bryston BDP-1 keeps getting better!! :thumb: :thumb:

acadie

« Reply #6 on: 24 Oct 2012, 01:17 pm »
I had the Bryston BDA-1 & BDP-1 combo for about a year. I sold the Bryston DAC a few months ago  :nono:. I wanted to try something else. :green:

It came down to the Calyx Femto or the Sim Audio Evolution 650D :scratch:. I finally decided to get a Calyx Femto DAC. It was quite an improvement over the Bryston DAC :o. The Bryston DAC was more forgiving with poor recording but overall, the Calyx and BDP-1 combo is quite good, way better than I expected. And I saved myself $2000 over the Sim Audio :thumb:

I will probably get another Bryston DAC and digital player for a second system.

NMG

« Reply #7 on: 28 Oct 2012, 01:26 pm »
I just traded my W4S DAC2, which I loved, for a new PS Audio PWD MkII DAC because all the expert opinion I could garner said it would be a step up in audio quality and versatility.

Is anyone using the BDP-1 with this DAC? I intend to use only with AES/EBU out, although USB out may be in the future. How is SQ. Any setup or operational issues? One is always a bit nervous when moving from the tried and true in search of greener pastures . . . .

Thanks,

Neal

tomsenko

« Reply #8 on: 23 Nov 2012, 04:40 pm »
Hi everyone!

Previously I was using BDP-1 with Benchmark DAC1 directly into 4BSST2. I always felt that I am missing something. The volume control of the Benchmark is horrible. Once you turn it down, the sound becomes totally dull, no bass, no soundstage, no nothing.

I was considering whether to take the plunge for DAC-1+BP26, however, my dealer had NAD M51 available for home demo. After a few days of burn-in, I began to smile widely. Exactly what I needed. The digital volume control is just stunning. My wife is telling me to turn it down even when it is at -40db. Practically no loss at all.

Finally all the instruments sound right. For example, solo piano or jazz trios were unlistenable with Benchmark, the notes were smeared without definition. Bass is also totally in different league, nice and juicy but always in control.

The HDMI inputs are also very convenient. I can add my Dune media player and cable TV box easily and have decent sound.

Given the fact that NAD M51 is 5 times cheaper than BDA-1+BP26, it is a true bargin. The only negatives are that volume control is only remote controlled and that there are no analog inputs.

Cheers,
Toms

srb

« Reply #9 on: 23 Nov 2012, 06:28 pm »
Given the fact that NAD M51 is 5 times cheaper than BDA-1+BP26, it is a true bargin. The only negatives are that volume control is only remote controlled and that there are no analog inputs.

As you state, because of the analog inputs (2 balanced, 5 unbalanced, tape loop) it is comparing apples and oranges.  For an all digital system the M51 might be a better/less expensive choice, but for the record, the BP26 + MPS-2 + BDA-1 is actually 3.5 times the cost, not 5 times.

Steve

tomsenko

« Reply #10 on: 23 Nov 2012, 08:31 pm »

As you state, because of the analog inputs (2 balanced, 5 unbalanced, tape loop) it is comparing apples and oranges.  For an all digital system the M51 might be a better/less expensive choice, but for the record, the BP26 + MPS-2 + BDA-1 is actually 3.5 times the cost, not 5 times.

Steve

3.5 ratio might be true in Canada/US where bryston is cheaper and NAD is more expensive. In Europe it is the other way round. So it indeed 5 times, not taking into account additional interconnects. Would be interesting to compare just the two dacs with BP26.

Toms

NMG

« Reply #11 on: 25 Nov 2012, 02:49 pm »
I recently traded in my W4S DAC 2 for a new PS Audio PWD MkII DAC, connected to BDP-1 with a Stealth Sextet AES/EBU cable. This DAC requires some serious burn-in, but it is quite breathtaking in its performance. I played Radiohead for my younger son, who is a guitar player, and he almost jumped out of the listening chair. On a more delicate note, so to speak, I played him Stewball from the first PP&M album, and he was mesmerized by the realism and beauty of the acoustic guitars and vocals.

Very highly recommended. W4S Dac 2 was a find for the price and I was happy with it for 18 months, but the PWD MkII is a class or two above.

One man's opinion.

Neal

speltz

« Reply #12 on: 2 Dec 2012, 01:31 pm »
I'm using a Simaudio Moon 300D and the sound quality is excellent! But I haven't done a head-to-head comparison. The list price of the 300D was $1,800, but I got a great deal on mine, so I paid considerably less.

malpa

« Reply #13 on: 16 Dec 2012, 11:38 am »
hi,
i used to have a W4S dac and i like the bdp-1-w4s combo,...but now i have Lampizator 4 dac and that's a different universe, the sound of w4s does not even get close to sound of L4.

tomsenko

« Reply #14 on: 16 Dec 2012, 03:06 pm »
hi,
i used to have a W4S dac and i like the bdp-1-w4s combo,...but now i have Lampizator 4 dac and that's a different universe, the sound of w4s does not even get close to sound of L4.

Which generation you have? Are you usig it as a preamp as well? I was also considering Lampizator, but decided to go for nad for a while.

malpa

« Reply #15 on: 16 Dec 2012, 10:43 pm »
hi,
i have gen 4., level 4 with volume control and with some analog inputs if i want to use it as pre amp.
its the best dac i have ever heard!

wisnon

« Reply #16 on: 1 Jan 2013, 08:57 pm »
hi,
i have gen 4., level 4 with volume control and with some analog inputs if i want to use it as pre amp.
its the best dac i have ever heard!

Welcome to the club!!!

malpa

« Reply #17 on: 1 Jan 2013, 11:33 pm »
....,i wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member :-).
but thanx for invitation.