Just received this today

blankdisc

Just received this today
« on: 19 Jan 2015, 10:13 pm »
Just received these today for my second desktop system. It was such a pleasure to deal with Louis. Will report back in a week or two. I think these speakers need some burn in. They already sound A LOT better after one hour.

oh right. these are new Super 7 Mini in Graphite Tweed EKO finish.

Again huge thanks to Louis for his advice and patience.

Eric

guillaume bougard

Re: Just received this today
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2015, 08:23 am »
killer look
they going to be totally badass
I have desktop 3's at work and it's hard not to crank them up, or to do any serious work at time!!! So prepare for a drop in productivity
Enjoy

PS = where are those on the omega website???

beowulf

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2015, 08:27 am »
Wow, those are cool!  I really dig the tweed EKO finishes!

(nice amp too BTW)

happyrabbit

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2015, 08:32 am »
Excellent Amp for your new speakers   :green:

« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2015, 04:23 pm by happyrabbit »

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2015, 04:15 pm »
Eric,

Welcome to the Omega AudioCircle.

Beautiful desktop system.  The IsoAcoustics speaker stands would be perfect for those.  http://www.isoacoustics.com/index.php

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2015, 04:48 pm »
I should have been quicker getting this model up on the website, but here is a picture of it in Ash Tweed.  The tweeds are resin coated natural fibres and will not be called EKO because they are real.  EKO is for the laminates which of course are artificial.  All the tweeds (Tan, Mocha, Ash, and Graphite) are Level 1 finishes and priced the same as the EKO, which they will be replacing with the exception of the very popular Olivewood.

The official name of this model (which is not mini sized at all) will be Super 7 Monitor MK2 and will be replacing the current Super 7 Monitor.  The same RS7 driver is being used.  The starting price in Level 1 will be $995, and $1295 in Level 2 real wood veneers.  There will now only be 2 levels of finish.

They are shown here in Ash Tweed on 24" Skylan Stands.

Brad

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2015, 05:33 pm »
That's a sharp-looking computer/monitor stand  :thumb:

Nice setup - I really like the graphite tweed finish

guillaume bougard

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan 2015, 07:29 am »
I know I should (probably could) wait until they're on the site, but I can't help asking Rob, if you have a minute, to detail the spexxx for these formidable looking speakers.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 25 Jan 2015, 02:26 am »
I know I should (probably could) wait until they're on the site, but I can't help asking Rob, if you have a minute, to detail the spexxx for these formidable looking speakers.
They're up on the website now, and there are a couple in the store too.  See links:
http://omegaloudspeakers.com/super7monitormk2.html
http://omegaloudspeakers.com/builtproductions.html

Also, the new Super 7XRS MK2: http://omegaloudspeakers.com/super7xrsmk2.html

FireGuy

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jan 2015, 01:32 pm »
They're up on the website now, and there are a couple in the store too.  See links:
http://omegaloudspeakers.com/super7monitormk2.html
http://omegaloudspeakers.com/builtproductions.html

Also, the new Super 7XRS MK2: http://omegaloudspeakers.com/super7xrsmk2.html

Big interest on the Super 7 MK2.    Other than the freq response rating and (probably) higher SPL, what are the sonic differences from this driver to that of the RS5? 

guillaume bougard

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jan 2015, 09:50 pm »
thanks Rob

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 26 Jan 2015, 05:24 pm »
Big interest on the Super 7 MK2.    Other than the freq response rating and (probably) higher SPL, what are the sonic differences from this driver to that of the RS5?
I would assume you are referring to the Super 7 Monitor MK2.  Comparing it to the Super 3U, the 7 will have greater dynamics, higher SPL, be friendly to a greater number of amplifiers, and have a flatter frequency response. Where the difference in bass will come in is the 7 will have more output dB wise in the bottom end, though not go deeper than the 3U.  The RS5 is the fastest driver in the Omega line, so the 3 series will still be tops as far as speed goes.

FireGuy

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jan 2015, 01:09 am »
I would assume you are referring to the Super 7 Monitor MK2.  Comparing it to the Super 3U, the 7 will have greater dynamics, higher SPL, be friendly to a greater number of amplifiers, and have a flatter frequency response. Where the difference in bass will come in is the 7 will have more output dB wise in the bottom end, though not go deeper than the 3U.  The RS5 is the fastest driver in the Omega line, so the 3 series will still be tops as far as speed goes.

Thanks Canada Rob.  I'll most likely put the Super 7 in another room, which is larger.   Another great looking Omega speaker.

blankdisc

« Reply #13 on: 29 Jan 2015, 03:07 am »
I have to admit that i was a little disappointed for the first two hours. It sounded dry and rough. the bass is weak and the sound stage is congested. As i mentioned before i knew that these speakers need some time to burn in, so i waited patiently.

Also got some setup advice from Louis. Unlike other monitors these speakers do sound a lot better if you just toe in slightly. I first toed them in completely which proved to be a big mistake.

Have been running these speakers for more than a week now. All i can say is WOW. OH MY! Totally didn't expect the results would be this good. Great sound stage and awesome imaging. The sound is both smooth and transparent at the same time. I simply cannot find ANYTHING to pick on them. I am going to describe the bass, the mid range, and the treble. They just sound right across the entire range.

As a reference my main system consists of a pair of Wilson Watt/Puppy 8 driven by Pass Labs XA60.5 monos. Obviously the Wilsons do image better (is there any other speaker images better than W/P?) and bass goes a lot deeper and more powerful (it has to given by the size and two big woofers); However, i don't feel i really miss anything when i listen to the Omegas. In other words I enjoy this Omega system as much as i enjoy my main system. Sometimes average or bad recordings actually sound better with the Omegas, because the Wilson W/Ps are just too brutally revealing and unforgiven.

I bet if i use them in my main system with much better electronics and cables, they would sound even better. My current setup is not really optimal due to the location of my desk and how close i sit next to them.

anyway, I really really enjoy this pair of Omegas driven by First Watt J2. For the price Louis is charging, they are not a steal. They are plain robbery. :-)

I have been going to many audio shows for many years, and i haven't heard any speaker in this price range and sound better than my Omegas.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #14 on: 29 Jan 2015, 03:28 am »
I agree, that's why I've had my Omegas for something like 8-9 years now and have just been improving the rest of my system to suit them. I've been to most RMAFs over the years and I would need to spend $10k+ to rival my Omegas (with subwoofer), and my EL34 SET wouldn't work with most of them so I'd need a new amp too. My components and cables are worth more than 10x the cost of the Omegas. They just keep getting better and better as I improve my system. I think on a lot of multi-way speakers the crossover limits how much of an improvement you can make to some degree, high quality and transparent crossovers are very expensive and very few speakers, even expensive ones, use the best possible crossover components. An average multi-way speaker's sound is greatly affected by the quality of it's crossover components, and not in a good way. So you can take the $ saved on speakers and get the best source, (tube)preamp, amp and cables possible. :icon_twisted:

blankdisc

« Reply #15 on: 29 Jan 2015, 03:29 am »
Eric,

Welcome to the Omega AudioCircle.

Beautiful desktop system.  The IsoAcoustics speaker stands would be perfect for those.  http://www.isoacoustics.com/index.php

Thanks! i was actually looking at them the other day. Was trying to figure out whether there are cheaper alternatives. hehe...i guess these are probably the best. Do you think i should go for Large or Medium for my Super 7 Monitor Mk2?

Flyin_V

« Reply #16 on: 29 Jan 2015, 07:02 pm »
Great looking speakers and overall setup. :thumb:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #17 on: 29 Jan 2015, 07:47 pm »
The isoacoustics stands are excellent, I use them under my speakers and sub... they make a big difference!  :thumb:

FireGuy

« Reply #18 on: 29 Jan 2015, 07:53 pm »
The isoacoustics stands are excellent, I use them under my speakers and sub... they make a big difference!  :thumb:

I too will endorse the effectiveness of the Isoacoustic stand.  I'm using one with my Boston sub and another will be on order for the Canton. 

Louis O

« Reply #19 on: 31 Jan 2015, 11:20 pm »
Hi blankdisc,

Many thanks for the great review and welcome to the forum.

The pictures are great and really cool setup.

It was a pleasure working with you to and very happy that you are enjoying your 7's. Many thanks for your very kind words and sharing your experience with both systems. I'm a big fan of Pass amps and the J2 that you own. The synergy is great with Omega's. If you get the chance to hook them up in the main system please post your findings.

I agree with Dave and FireGuy on the Isoacoustics. Great product and great value.

Thanks again,
Louis