2nd system - headphones again!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: 2nd system - headphones again!
« Reply #20 on: 4 Feb 2016, 08:10 pm »
The PS500 (original 2011 version) was one of the best headphones I've had for long-term listening.

Mine are the originals and like you say I never get tired of listening to them. I use IEMs a bit more than full size headphones but the Grados just make me smile every time I put them on.

Mark those modded Grados we all were into for awhile were better than we thought, I compared my 125's to my PS500's and was shocked how close they sounded.....I'll never sell mine.....that was the most fun I've had in this hobby .....time flies!

mcgsxr

« Reply #21 on: 7 Feb 2016, 05:07 pm »
I picked up the 598's and ran them 24/7 for 3 days in the basement - playing "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" on repeat.  Figured that would help bring them around.  To help with the clamp (out of the box they were more firmly grabbing me than my buddy's 2 year old 558's) I stretched them across my subwoofer (about 7 inches).

Picked up the Cayin HA-1A yesterday.  Switched the Matrix Mini i into DAC mode (so the volume control is out of the circuit), plugged in the Cayin and the 598's.  Switched the Cayin into triode mode (vs ultralinear), cued up some songs on iPeng and sat down last night around 7pm.

At 11pm I realized that is the first time I have ever worn headphones for that long without a break.

The velour pads will soften up in time, and this combo will be a great source of musical enjoyment no doubt.  I imagine there are N many ways to secure better detail, or more bass, or whatever more expensive stuff bring to the table.

Factor I have spent about US$450 for the Matrix, the Senns and the Cayin (all used, but the Senns which were NIB) and I am quite happy.  I could see another $100 being spent on some great tubes, and then sitting back and enjoying. 

I will write up a more thorough review in time.

dB Cooper

« Reply #22 on: 7 Feb 2016, 08:30 pm »
I picked up the 598's and ran them 24/7 for 3 days in the basement - playing "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" on repeat.  Figured that would help bring them around.  To help with the clamp (out of the box they were more firmly grabbing me than my buddy's 2 year old 558's) I stretched them across my subwoofer (about 7 inches).

Try backing out the earpieces a click or two? In my observation from my very similar 558's, people seem to put them on so they feel the headband pressing firmly on the head. Just barely touching the top of the head, with the earpieces adjusted accordingly, works fine and lowers the 'clamp' force.

Cosmic Hippo, I have that album. THAT will get those drivers moving  :icon_twisted:

mcgsxr

« Reply #23 on: 8 Feb 2016, 04:48 pm »
Agree that leaving the headband loose helps a lot.

It is the "stiffness" of the new velour pads vs the well worn in ones that I am noticing most.  I will assume that they will break in quite quickly.

I have decided that I actually prefer ultralinear over triode for the HD598's and the Cayin.  Most of what I read told me I should prefer triode.  I don't.

Ordered some Mullards (el84 and 12au7) and a Tung Sol 5751 (12ax7 replacement with lower gain as I understand it - should be good to give me a little more volume control movement to play with) to try out.

Dropped the Matrix Mini i into the basement setup and brought my modded Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 and some Bolder cables up to the headphone setup.

Delicious!

mcgsxr

« Reply #24 on: 10 Feb 2016, 01:43 pm »
Interestingly with the Mullards and Tung Sol in place I do now prefer triode mode.

Public admission of being wrong!   :lol:

Guy 13

« Reply #25 on: 10 Feb 2016, 02:50 pm »
Agree that leaving the headband loose helps a lot.

It is the "stiffness" of the new velour pads vs the well worn in ones that I am noticing most.  I will assume that they will break in quite quickly.

I have decided that I actually prefer ultralinear over triode for the HD598's and the Cayin.  Most of what I read told me I should prefer triode.  I don't.

Ordered some Mullards (el84 and 12au7) and a Tung Sol 5751 (12ax7 replacement with lower gain as I understand it - should be good to give me a little more volume control movement to play with) to try out.

Dropped the Matrix Mini i into the basement setup and brought my modded Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 and some Bolder cables up to the headphone setup.

Delicious!

Hi mcgsxr,
may I know from whom you bought your tubes.
Unless it's a military secret and the information is in a top secret file.  :lol:

Guy 13

mcgsxr

« Reply #26 on: 10 Feb 2016, 03:20 pm »
No secret.  Parts Connexion is in my hometown of Burlington and are a 5 minute drive from my house.

Their current 25% off sale drew me in. 

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #27 on: 10 Feb 2016, 09:01 pm »
I still have my Grant DAC and will use it immediately as a backup if I need to.....My AUNE and the Virtue Amp are SS so I'm trying it that way for awhile.
 Grant was a special cat I'll miss shouting the shit with him........Your hooked again Mark we go from clamp pressure to new tubes ain't it fun!!!!!! :thumb:

mcgsxr

« Reply #28 on: 10 Feb 2016, 11:25 pm »
You bet I am hooked again!

Must be break in - either the phones or me! :duh:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #29 on: 19 Feb 2016, 02:54 am »
I think you made some great choices while sticking within your budget, enjoy.  I've always liked the look of the 598, and they have a nice sound to boot.

However I must warn you, it gets addictive.  I predict that sooner than later you'll be getting the upgrade bug.  To that end note that in July there's the Capital Audio Fest in DC, which will have Canmania where you can hear the latest and greatest headphones and amps as well as a good selection of lower priced gear.  Of course a bit of a trip for you, but if you get that bug around then...

dB Cooper

« Reply #30 on: 19 Feb 2016, 08:04 am »
Letitroll, are you planning to attend CAF?

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #31 on: 19 Feb 2016, 10:55 am »
Oh yeah, I'll be booking my room as soon as they open the group rate.

mcgsxr

« Reply #32 on: 19 Feb 2016, 12:39 pm »
I have no doubt that the "need" to upgrade will eventually be felt.

Having reflected on the suggestions in this thread, I expect since the HD598 represents very strong mid fi value that I will be looking for something representing a big improvement.  Saving begins!

There are Head Fi meets in Toronto roughly 2 times a year (there was one in January) so I expect I will be able to listen to some of the stuff in the $400-$500 used range later in the year.

londonbarn

« Reply #33 on: 19 Feb 2016, 01:03 pm »
"I have decided to buy the Cayin HA-1A"...  The Chinese thank you for your support.........

mcgsxr

« Reply #34 on: 19 Feb 2016, 03:29 pm »
Thanks, I am enjoying the excellent sound it produces, and it was available used locally for a song.

Kindly take your agenda elsewhere.