First comparison of the Mola Mola amps on the net

OzarkTom

First comparison of the Mola Mola amps on the net
« on: 20 Jan 2013, 06:18 am »
Stereotimes iistener says the Mola-Mola amps almost came up to the sound of the $55K Swiss made Solution 700 mono amps. That is not too shabby.

http://www.stereotimes.com/commGTTAudio.shtml

Rclark

Re: First comparison of the Mola Mola amps on the net
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2013, 07:13 am »
Very cool to see the Ncore once again aquit itself against more expensive stuff, this time a lot lot lot lot more expensive, and in print.

mjosef

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2013, 10:29 pm »
Mola Mola certainly didn't make it easy to audition them @ CES, they had them showcased over at the Mirage in some secret room, I tried to find the room but after 10minutes gave up and went over to The Show.  :roll:

OzarkTom

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2013, 10:39 pm »
I went to Mola-Mola's website last night. They are working on the website still, but there has been a change in the looks of it.

Rclark

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2013, 12:15 am »
They do look really nice in the photo's. I wonder if any of the gentlemen running other forms of NC1200 right now are thinking of going Mola Mola, with that preamp? In the paragraph there it said there would be an optional phono input as well.

hifial

• Ambassador, Sound Galleries & Taiko Audio
    • Sound Test
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2013, 05:50 am »
Rclark

I own a pair of Veritas by Merrill Audio (and for the pains in the *** NO, I HAVE NO FINANCIAL INTEREST OR COMPENSATION WITH MERRILL AUDIO, WE ARE IN THE SAME AUDIO CLUB WITH 70 OTHERS). Even though I own the Veritas I have thought about buying the Mola-Mola when it came out. However at around $15,000, it is over 65% more expansive then the Veritas. So for me the Mola-Mola would have to not just sound a little better but A LOT BETTER then the Veritas. Now if the Mola-Mola were to sound SO MUCH BETTER, well now I would have to start saving my pennies. But I do not expect that as the Veritas is an exceptional sounding amp based on the same tech. So I expect the two amps to be close in sound quality. Regardless I plan on hearing the Mola-Mola ha ha, as you never know untill you check it out for yourself.   

jhm731

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2013, 05:57 am »
Stereotimes iistener says the Mola-Mola amps almost came up to the sound of the $55K Swiss made Solution 700 mono amps. That is not too shabby.

Has stereotimes.com's CP ever posted a negative review?

Regnad

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2013, 06:04 am »
Rclark

I own a pair of Veritas by Merrill Audio (and for the pains in the *** NO, I HAVE NO FINANCIAL INTEREST OR COMPENSATION WITH MERRILL AUDIO, WE ARE IN THE SAME AUDIO CLUB WITH 70 OTHERS). Even though I own the Veritas I have thought about buying the Mola-Mola when it came out. However at around $15,000, it is over 65% more expansive then the Veritas. So for me the Mola-Mola would have to not just sound a little better but A LOT BETTER then the Veritas. Now if the Mola-Mola were to sound SO MUCH BETTER, well now I would have to start saving my pennies. But I do not expect that as the Veritas is an exceptional sounding amp based on the same tech. So I expect the two amps to be close in sound quality. Regardless I plan on hearing the Mola-Mola ha ha, as you never know untill you check it out for yourself.

Wouldn't you like to hear the preamp?  I also have Veritas amps and wonder what that preamp is like.   What is known about it?

hifial

• Sound Test
« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2013, 06:29 am »
Regnad

Not anymore as I play my source direct to amp and I like the way it sounds that way. I use a PS Audio PerfectWave MK II DAC and it sounds great. Be that as it may, I am selling my PSA DAC and if anybody has an interest PM. In the future I will still play direct. I feel in the right setup there is no need for a preamp.

gman

« Reply #9 on: 16 Apr 2013, 02:11 am »
Rclark

Rclark, can you tell me what the price of the Veritas monoblocks are?

On the Merrill Audio website, it appears the Veritas monoblocks are priced at $12,000 per pair. And if the Mola-Molas are $15,000 per pair, that's much less than 65% more expensive.

Thanks
Gary

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #10 on: 16 Apr 2013, 03:11 am »
Stereotimes iistener says the Mola-Mola amps almost came up to the sound of the $55K Swiss made Solution 700 mono amps...

Last paragraph from link above:
...Unfortunately, the illusion of the Mola Mola sounding as magnificent as the big Soulution gear didn't happen. I was somewhat surprised at how much better the Soulution rendered high-frequency resolution in particular. Cymbals had a fabric that was much closer to the real thing...

(emphasis added)

I'm not at all surprised when something outperforms something else 1/5 the cost.   

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #11 on: 16 Apr 2013, 06:47 am »
I'm not at all surprised when something outperforms something else 1/5 the cost.

Especially when listening with your eyes open and the price tag in your head...

jackman

« Reply #12 on: 16 Apr 2013, 02:53 pm »
Especially when listening with your eyes open and the price tag in your head...

Right, because the Ncore fanboys are completely objective and impervious to hype or gaudy cnc'd audio jewelry.  I can't wait for the usual suspects to attack anyone who posts less than glowingly favorable comments about the Mola Mola. 

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 16 Apr 2013, 03:46 pm »
Has stereotimes.com's CP ever posted a negative review?

ST owner/author listened to a lot of YG Acoustics speakers in the images.  I guess his little feud with Yoav is over, thank goodness. 

My wife will never fall in love with the sound again unless I get tube amps.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 16 Apr 2013, 03:54 pm »
Very cool to see the Ncore once again aquit itself against more expensive stuff, this time a lot lot lot lot more expensive, and in print.

Last paragraph from the comments to which you apparently refer.  I disagree with your characterization.  Maybe you read something I missed.  No big deal, just thought I'd mention it for those that did not read the link.  Did you read the link or not? 

...Unfortunately, the illusion of the Mola Mola sounding as magnificent as the big Soulution gear didn't happen. I was somewhat surprised at how much better the Soulution rendered high-frequency resolution in particular. Cymbals had a fabric that was much closer to the real thing...

Julf

« Reply #15 on: 17 Apr 2013, 12:06 pm »
Right, because the Ncore fanboys are completely objective and impervious to hype or gaudy cnc'd audio jewelry.  I can't wait for the usual suspects to attack anyone who posts less than glowingly favorable comments about the Mola Mola.

My comment had absolutely nothing to do with either ncore or Mola Mola, it was purely a reflection on subjective "reviews" in general.

Anyway, your comment is an interesting example of a pre-emptive ad hominem attack. Are you saying that you have run out of fact-based and reasonable arguments before the discussion has even started, and thus feel the need to attack any prospective comments in advance?

jackman

« Reply #16 on: 17 Apr 2013, 12:41 pm »
My comment had absolutely nothing to do with either ncore or Mola Mola, it was purely a reflection on subjective "reviews" in general.

Anyway, your comment is an interesting example of a pre-emptive ad hominem attack. Are you saying that you have run out of fact-based and reasonable arguments before the discussion has even started, and thus feel the need to attack any prospective comments in advance?

Julf,

Come on, I was just having some fun.  I'm aware of the affect price and appearance have on subjective perception.  Perhaps that's the reason several of the Ncore "repackagers" use exotic cases and jack the price up to exotic levels. 

I'm just waiting for some of the Ncore loyalists to write off the recent preference of the Soulution amps as a product of high-price and casework- related perception.  When the ncores are preferred to another amp, it's because they are a superior design ( obviously) ... when a more expensive amp is preferred, it is merely a case of perception bias related to the stratospheric price and exotic appearance of the other amp.  Very convenient. 

Cheers

Jack

Julf

« Reply #17 on: 17 Apr 2013, 02:02 pm »
Come on, I was just having some fun.

Fair enough - my apologies for my excessively negative reaction.

When the ncores are preferred to another amp, it's because they are a superior design ( obviously) ... when a more expensive amp is preferred, it is merely a case of perception bias related to the stratospheric price and exotic appearance of the other amp.  Very convenient. 

Indeed. Audiophiles remain audiophiles, even when they are hypex fanboys :)

hifial

• Sound Test
« Reply #18 on: 17 Apr 2013, 04:35 pm »

"At many times the asking price, the Soulutions are among the most expensive solid-state electronics I know of. They are also among the best I have heard. The Mola Mola more than acquits itself by way of their spatial beauty and unabashed openness.

This folks is Class D at its best. Unfortunately, the illusion of the Mola Mola sounding as magnificent as the big Soulution gear didn't happen. I was somewhat surprised at how much better the Soulution rendered high-frequency resolution in particular. Cymbals had a fabric that was much closer to the real thing. I was not however embarrassed to think the Mola Mola could sound so close to the Soulution. In fact, I am happy to report that I think the Mola Mola have a familiarity that, to these ears, is a closer match to the Soulution than say McIntosh. That something this exciting is on the horizon will obviously bring about lots of discussions as to what others think of Mola Mola. For this music lover, I was duly impressed and felt that, for the money, Mola Mola is hands down the company to keep an eye on in 2013. Unless, of course, you're from that other stratosphere and have the extra Moolah to spend on Soulution."

So an amp at $55,000 edges out a amp costing $15,000. WOW, what a surprise!
If you read the whole quote above and read between the lines it was close.
Also it is my understanding that the above Mola-Mola amps are not finale production versions and that there might be some improvements  made in the finale production run. However, even if that is not the case they still gave the Soluton a run for the money.

Do not misunderstand me, I think the Solution is one of the best, but the price, ouch.

Jackman, you must get over this misconception on the Case work adding this huge cost to the price of the OEM NC1200 amps. Not so much. You are barking up the wrong tree. Oh, I just made a funny, no pun intended.

As an example the Tube Research Lab NC1200 amps Case work are nothing special and retail for $9,000. See photo.

Julf