Acoustic treatment ?

Wig

Acoustic treatment ?
« on: 6 Oct 2013, 09:40 pm »
Guys,

My room is treated quite well with ASC traps, corners traps, first reflection absorbers and echo busters behind my listening chair but I'm curious if I need anything on the back wall, centered between the speakers? The back wall is draped well and I'm not sure if treatment will help in any way.

I'd like to hear your suggestions; room size is 15'W x 19'L x 8'H

Also, suggestions to the open space or will heavy curtains work during listening sessions?

Thanks,
Wig

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Acoustic treatment ?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2013, 08:42 pm »
Hi Wig

My apologies for this being so late.  Between getting ready for RMAF, RMAF, and the push after RMAF, I'm a bit behind on my forum parusing.

What speakers are those? Not recognizing them - sorry. That would have an impact on what might go best behind them.

Bryan

Wig

« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2013, 11:11 pm »
Bryan,

They are Acoustic Zen Crescendo and are 50" tall and sounds wonderful...

Wig

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2013, 03:25 pm »
OK - Thanks.  Getting some thicker absorption on the front wall would help imaging and boundary interactions in the midbass/lower mids much better than curtains which will only deal with very  high frequencies.  Something like the 244 panels would be appropriate.

Wig

« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2013, 07:28 pm »
Will one 244 centered between the speaker work or would three be better hidden behind the curtains and should I add the optional scatter plates?

Wig

OK - Thanks.  Getting some thicker absorption on the front wall would help imaging and boundary interactions in the midbass/lower mids much better than curtains which will only deal with very  high frequencies.  Something like the 244 panels would be appropriate.

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2013, 07:55 pm »
No scatter plates for these.  I would do just 1 244 in each window.

Wig

« Reply #6 on: 16 Oct 2013, 08:14 pm »
Should I place them behind the curtains because the window shades are pulled down when listening to music?

Wig

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 16 Oct 2013, 08:16 pm »
Whichever works better logistically.  The bass will go through blinds like it's not even there.  I would also recommend trying a blanket over the TV when listening.

Wig

« Reply #8 on: 16 Oct 2013, 08:45 pm »
Thanks, much appreciated  :thumb:

Wig

Wig

« Reply #9 on: 21 Feb 2014, 01:17 am »
Bryan,

Received my GIK 244 a few days ago; 3 behind the speakers and 1 on the side wall and I've noticed better imaging and depth. Money well spent for sure...

Wig :thumb:

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 24 Feb 2014, 01:59 pm »
Bryan,

Received my GIK 244 a few days ago; 3 behind the speakers and 1 on the side wall and I've noticed better imaging and depth. Money well spent for sure...

Wig :thumb:

:thumb:

rbbert

« Reply #11 on: 24 Feb 2014, 09:59 pm »
Like those speakers  :thumb: