vinagunner

Re: Pictures of my rig with Omega Speakers
« Reply #140 on: 19 Feb 2016, 09:28 pm »
v
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2016, 03:28 am by vinagunner »

davidflas

« Reply #141 on: 23 Apr 2016, 05:54 pm »
I've had my Super 3i Monitors for almost a year now, and I'm finally getting around to posting a picture of them. As you can see, I like things nice an cluttered. So, here it goes:

DSC_8748 by davidflas, on Flickr

Here's a close up of the associated gear:

DSC_8752 by davidflas, on Flickr
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2016, 09:50 am by davidflas »

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #142 on: 23 Apr 2016, 08:45 pm »
Nice desktop system davidflas.  The Super 3i is one of my all time favorite desktop speakers - they're incredible in a room setting too.  Went to your Flickr page and it appears you have a Sure TPA 3116 in that wood box.  I have a stock red board in a Hammond cast case and quite like it.  Is yours stock, and how do you like the sound with the Super 3i?  Your Schiit front end is a winner.

davidflas

« Reply #143 on: 23 Apr 2016, 09:07 pm »
Rob,

The TPA3116 amp that I'm using is a completely stock version of the Sure board. It's one of the early ones where they reversed the silk screening on speaker terminals labels. Once I figured that out, I've been very happy with the sound of the amp with my Omegas. I also have a YJ copy of the Audiobah Green Board running stock in my main two channel rig, but have not a/b test the two amps against each other.

What actually made the biggest difference in my system has been the swapping of a Bifrost Uber for a Sigma Delta Gungnir. A lot of people online say that the Bifrost and Gungnir sound the same(or nearly the same) from the single-ended outputs, but in my case that couldn't be further from the truth. With the Gungnir in the system, I know enjoy a much more authoritative low-end, plus a noticeably wider and deeper soundstage. Once I finish scraping my pennies together, I'm going to see what a the multi-bit upgrade does for my 3i's.
« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2016, 03:49 pm by davidflas »

gstitt

« Reply #144 on: 24 Apr 2016, 01:07 pm »
Hi davidflas,

Was your Bifrost Uber the upgraded Multi-bit version? Love the look of your setup!  :thumb:

Greg

syzygy

« Reply #145 on: 24 Apr 2016, 02:05 pm »

Where I draw on evenings and weekends. It ain't pretty, but it.s a great place to listen to music (and maybe get some work done).

davidflas

« Reply #146 on: 24 Apr 2016, 03:37 pm »
Hi davidflas,

Was your Bifrost Uber the upgraded Multi-bit version? Love the look of your setup!  :thumb:

Greg

Thank you for the compliment about the look of my setup! Just to be clear, both the Gungnir and the Bifrost Uber that I have are Sigma Delta, not multi-bit. I see that I made a typing error in my original post, perhaps brought on by wishful thinking. I hope to upgrade both to multi-bit, but just need to raise the funds to do so.

gstitt

« Reply #147 on: 24 Apr 2016, 08:24 pm »
Thanks for the clarification. If you do upgrade both to multi-bit would love to hear an update on differences between the two.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #148 on: 25 Apr 2016, 06:51 pm »
Nice setup.  The drafting table brings back memories of my pre-CAD drafting days.  With a rig like yours I would have had a hard time getting any work done.  Thorens TD-160 TT and Scott 222D amp?  Years ago I had a Thorens TD-160 with Empire cartridge and loved it.
« Last Edit: 3 May 2016, 03:32 am by Canada Rob »

syzygy

« Reply #149 on: 25 Apr 2016, 06:57 pm »
Nice setup.  The drafting table brings back memories of my pre-CAD drafting days.  With a rig like yours I would have had a hard time getting any work done.  Thorens TD-160 TT and Scott 222D amp?  Years ago I had a Thorens TD-160 with Empire cartridge and loved it.

Yeah, drawing-wise I'm strictly analog. I hope that I get used to this system soon - I keep leaning back and listening.

Sense63

« Reply #150 on: 3 May 2016, 01:45 am »
I thought I would share a picture of my Super Alnico Monitors in real Ebony with R compound and custom stands.  They are one of the best speakers I've ever heard, but I have a surprise coming from Louis that might take the performance up a couple of notches......more to come.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #151 on: 3 May 2016, 03:36 am »
Sense63,

Wow, nice and clean.  Very tastefully done.

Sense63

« Reply #152 on: 3 May 2016, 01:33 pm »
Thank you Canada Rob for the nice comments.

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #153 on: 3 May 2016, 05:09 pm »
Nice setup, I bet it has a wonderfully deep soundstage :thumb:

Sense63

« Reply #154 on: 3 May 2016, 05:29 pm »
Yes, the soundstage is pretty deep.  My side walls are the problem as I wish I had another couple feet to work with on each side.

Jjshin23

« Reply #155 on: 6 May 2016, 11:11 pm »
Very nice

ihor

« Reply #156 on: 23 May 2016, 01:25 pm »
MY rig.  Background:  Got my SAMs in January 2016 I walnut.  Much darker than I was envisioning.  Louis was kind enough to provide replacement cabinets in cherry.  Swapping out the drivers was easy.  The SAMs seemed a bit sibilant upon hook up, but steadily improved with break-in.  I kept close track on hrs and they really seemed to settle in at 75hr, and by 100 hrs they were fantastic.

As you can see from the pics, the cherry finish is outstanding - they look just beautiful in real life.  They are on Skylan stands.  Rest of system consists of original Unison Unico hybrid integrated amp ('dynamic' Class A mosfet output  [80 watts/ch], Class A input  using 2 Seimans 12au7s [fantastic tube with this amp]), TEAC PD-H600 cd player, TEAC T-H500 tuner, an REL-T5 sub, Blue Jean BJC10 speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects.

You may notice speakers behind the SAMs - these are the Spendor S5e's which the SAM's replaced.  I have a small house and haven't figured out where to put them - wonderful speakers in their own right, but bested by the SAMs.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #157 on: 23 May 2016, 03:10 pm »
Very nice system.  The cherry really goes with the rest of your room.  I could see how the walnut wouldn't have worked as well.  The cherry has a nice silky look to it.

That Unison amp looks interesting.  I've not heard of them before.  Reminds me of the 60's KLH look.

........Peter

ihor

« Reply #158 on: 23 May 2016, 03:34 pm »
Peter,

Mine is the original version.  When it came out, it was Component of the Year on 6Moons (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/unisonresearch/unico.html), and  Sam Tellig at Stereophile ID'd it as his component of the year as well.  I love this integrated amp, especially with the Seimens 12au7 tubes.  Have done a bit of tube rolling (Mullard [several], RCA Clear Top, Seimens) and the Seimens just makes the amp sing!  Still manufactured by Unison, but slightly different -12ax7 tubes, a bit more power.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #159 on: 23 May 2016, 03:46 pm »
Lovely system ihor.  Really nice integration into the rest of your decor.  I've never heard a Unison amp but hear/read nothing but good about them, not to mention yours is one of the best looking integrated amps I've seen.  :thumb: