Digital Audio - looking for advice for getting started (Mac, but will migrate)

DEP14

I've been reading up as much as I can on digital audio as it's time to head in that direction.

First things first. I suspect I'll look into a SalkPlayer with a built in hard drive here at some point.  But I wanted to get started with ripping CDs.

Sounds like FLAC is the way to go.  I have an Apple MacBook Pro with a 500GB hard drive that I can dedicate most of that space for CD's for now.

What software program should I use, and I assume I can avoid ripping into ITunes somehow? (assuming I should keep things out of itunes?)

Thanks, any advice on getting started would be great.  Guessing I could feed my Oppo 103 from the Mac also, but really just want to start ripping files in the right format for now in a manner that I can easily transfer them to a hard drive later.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
I think most would agree that FLAC is the way to go - but that precludes using Itunes unless you want to do some kludgy work arounds.  If your set your going w/ a Salk or something similar, then that won't be an issue.

I think that an Oppo 103 as a media streamer won't offer you anything better than using your Macbook Pro.  In fact it might be a step backwards with respect to the GUI depending on what software you use.  This is assuming your using the Oppo to feed an external DAC.  If you are using or planning to use the 103 also as DAC, would humbly suggest you try something else as DAC first.  Many standalone DAC even at or below $500 will make a better DAC than the 103.  That to me would be the first step, followed by a dedicated standalone streamer such as the Salk units. 

I think most MAC users would say that the free XLD is the best or among them for ripping vs Itunes.

http://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html

An oldie but goodie about using XLD or other ripping software:

http://gigaom.com/2011/02/04/how-to-preserve-your-music-cd-collection-on-a-mac/

Hope that helps!

Nick77

Sounds like FLAC is the way to go.  I have an Apple MacBook Pro with a 500GB hard drive that I can dedicate most of that space for CD's for now.                                                                           

Some will argue storage is cheap and using an uncompressed file format sounds better.

lokie

I think most MAC users would say that the free XLD is the best or among them for ripping vs Itunes.

+2

Some will argue storage is cheap and using an uncompressed file format sounds better.

+2

DEP14

+2

+2

I've also kicked around just buying an external drive as they are cheap as heck for even 4tb and just ripping everything to that drive, then transferring from that drive to whatever media server I end up with (or can an external drive be hooked up directly to a salk player?)

Might go the external drive route and just rip everything as .wav files.

avta

I've also kicked around just buying an external drive as they are cheap as heck for even 4tb and just ripping everything to that drive, then transferring from that drive to whatever media server I end up with (or can an external drive be hooked up directly to a salk player?)

I think thats a reasonable route but AIFF might be a better choice for ripping as metadata is preserved more completely than with wav.

Big Red Machine

I wouldn't do the wav files.  They aren't tagable as FLAC are, are they?  Maybe you should come see what I am doing and see the pros and cons of each file type.

Q3Di

I use either JRiver or dbPowerAmp to rip CD into FLAC and store them on a Zyxel NAS (budget NAS and still be able to do a job. Synology NAS maybe better but at higher price). Then transfer to media server with a built-in hard drive. Salk StreamPlayer has a built-in 2TB hard drive. It can be configured to use with USB drive. However, there is only one source of music (either internal drive or external drive. But not both. Please correct me if I am wrong).
It would be nice if it allows more than one source of music, (internal drive, USB drive and NAS) and selectable via Menu.

Big Red Machine

My MS-2 music server plays from 2 external drives and the hard drive.  I would suspect Jim can configure mutliple drives, but then if you cannot, why not just use a single 5+ TB drive?

SCompRacer

I find I2S versus SPDIF input makes more of a difference that flac versus WAV in my diy DAC.  I2S is the serial communication used in players where clock is separate from data. SPDIF has clock embedded and the DAC chip must sort it out. Whatever is better implemented should sound better. Different DAC chips can respond differently to I2S versus SPDIF input due to method used in decoding SPDIF.

Yes, storage is cheap, but remember to buy a good drive along with a second one of same size for your backup, or NAS redundant RAID. I would not want to start over from scratch ripping to flac. My backup drive is esata capable and my PC has esata out which cuts hours off backup/restore time versus other connection methods.

DEP14

I wouldn't do the wav files.  They aren't tagable as FLAC are, are they?  Maybe you should come see what I am doing and see the pros and cons of each file type.

That would be cool to check out.

I'm good with FLAC files if that makes data easier, open to ideas.  Wondering if ripping to an external drive to start with makes some sense in that it can serve as a back-up, but still be seen on a network to move the files over assuming I do a media player with internal storage.

charmerci

Sorry for the digression - but BRM, if you play Ballerina - Van Morrison Live at the Hollywood Bowl - it's synches perfectly with your Farley gif.  :lol:

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
That would be cool to check out.

I'm good with FLAC files if that makes data easier, open to ideas.  Wondering if ripping to an external drive to start with makes some sense in that it can serve as a back-up, but still be seen on a network to move the files over assuming I do a media player with internal storage.

Even w/ cheap storage I wouldn't bother w/ WAV or AIFF (and particularly not the former because of lack of metatagging).  I really think your splitting hairs if you think you hear a substantial difference between WAV / AIFF vs FLAC / ALAC. 

An external is good way to get started : you can also often connect it to either the USB port on a NAS or some some routers that have a USB port and make it a network drive as well.  Or transfer the files to a new NAS & have a back up.