Fiber Media Converters (Ethernet)

wushuliu

Fiber Media Converters (Ethernet)
« on: 11 Sep 2016, 06:45 pm »
Did some searching and was surprised to find no mention of this relatively recent upgrade for those with ethernet connections in the chain:

Converts your ethernet to fiber optic. Use a second one to convert back again. Lot of feedback elsewhere, including Audiostream:

http://www.audiostream.com/content/electrically-isolate-your-networked-audio

The idea, implementation, and improvement are all simple; use two fiber media converters between all your noisy network stuff like routers, NAS, and server (I use the sonicTransporter running Roon Core), and your audio stuff. This way, all that electrical noise from the noisy stuff cannot get into your audio stuff because they are separated by a length of fiber optic cable which does not transmit electrical noise.

Here's another good writeup:

https://andreweverard.com/2015/06/08/high-resolution-audio-now-with-added-fibre/

I just got the FMCs hooked up between my pc and my Oppo 103. Stock there is a touch more inner detail and resolution. Flip the LPF tab on the rear of the FMC to On per another forum and dynamics improve. Swap out the stock smps for a linear supply and things improve.

Unlike most my ethernet is directly connected - no switches, etc. So YMMV. There's a lengthy thread at ComputerAudiophile ('optical networking').

Two FMCs and the cable come to ~$80 via Amazon. Will share more as I continue to investigate the power supply end.

Phil A

Re: Fiber Media Converters (Ethernet)
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2016, 06:58 pm »
There was another recent thread about them.

Big Red Machine

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2016, 07:04 pm »
For now I have an Acoustic Revive LAN noise filter going from the router to the main music server but have put the fiber converter in my Amazon wishlist based on the prior thread as something to consider at some point.

wushuliu

« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2016, 10:58 pm »
Got both FMCs running off simple LM317 linear power supplies now instead of just one. I can't recommend this setup enough. The Andrew Everard post I linked before sums it up best:

It’s safe to say the change in the sound has taken me somewhat by surprise, and I’m now running through some more familiar recordings and hearing – no, not a veil lifting or instruments I never heard before or even an inkier, blacker acoustic backdrop, but rather just music that sounds more real, and makes me want to listen more. And that’s something with which it’s hard to argue.

jpm

« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2016, 11:36 pm »
For now I have an Acoustic Revive LAN noise filter going from the router to the main music server but have put the fiber converter in my Amazon wishlist based on the prior thread as something to consider at some point.

Phil - I found the FMC solution to make a much more noticeable improvement than the Acoustic Revive LAN isolator in my setup, but i've not tried adding the isolator after the FMC yet. 

Computer fiber optic networking is hitting a price point where, compared to the cost of many tweaks in this hobby, the price falls into the "why the hell not" category.  It's important to note the many different connectors available when ordering product though.

For anyone  considering custom installation of structured cabling for HiFi use, consider fiber as well. Brand name managed switches with built in fiber support can be sourced for under $100. It's been decades since I've had anything to do with custom fiber termination & installation, but I hard to imagine it's as expensive or hard to source as it was in the early 90's.

Mike-48

« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2016, 09:14 pm »
Has anyone compared fiber to WiFi?  They both provide galvanic isolation. Of course fiber is enormously faster, but in many cases, WiFi is more than fast enough for streaming music, even at high resolutions (it is in my house).

This seems a natural test if any reviewer is interested in objective improvement, rather than just pushing some new gizmo.

adamaley

« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2016, 09:46 pm »
I doubt Wifi will even be an improvement over regular copper RJ-45 with no optical isolation. You are subject to RFI interference coupled with inconsistent speeds and dropouts.

Mike-48

« Reply #8 on: 21 Sep 2016, 02:52 pm »
I doubt Wifi will even be an improvement over regular copper RJ-45 with no optical isolation. You are subject to RFI interference coupled with inconsistent speeds and dropouts.

Sure, we all have our opinions, and they're worth listening to, but they vary. For example, Auralic says WiFi "may" sound better than wired, and some of us don't have the problems you mentioned. My modern router is in the next room, and there are no strong signals nearby that would cause RFI. I've tried WiFi vs. wireless, though not in a formal test, and I found no notable differences in sound.

The idea that a fiber link (even a short one) can improve sound through isolation is intriguing, and logical if there is really a problem with wired Ethernet. I for one am reluctant to spend ~$150 on spec, especially since I don't hear a problem that needs fixing.

It seems to me that the audio press, especially with the addition of online newsletters, has become like cable news. The demand for new content -- new breakthroughs -- is relentless. Judging the significance of what's described is pretty much up to the reader (watcher, listener).

wushuliu

« Reply #9 on: 21 Sep 2016, 06:49 pm »
Sure, we all have our opinions, and they're worth listening to, but they vary. For example, Auralic says WiFi "may" sound better than wired, and some of us don't have the problems you mentioned. My modern router is in the next room, and there are no strong signals nearby that would cause RFI. I've tried WiFi vs. wireless, though not in a formal test, and I found no notable differences in sound.

The idea that a fiber link (even a short one) can improve sound through isolation is intriguing, and logical if there is really a problem with wired Ethernet. I for one am reluctant to spend ~$150 on spec, especially since I don't hear a problem that needs fixing.

It seems to me that the audio press, especially with the addition of online newsletters, has become like cable news. The demand for new content -- new breakthroughs -- is relentless. Judging the significance of what's described is pretty much up to the reader (watcher, listener).

I believe the FMC solution was being bandied about a good two years or so before any audio press mentioned it, and really only the audiostream article as far as mainstream 'audiophilia'. If you objectively enjoy your wi-fi then this option will serve you no purpose.

smargo

« Reply #10 on: 21 Sep 2016, 08:55 pm »

I too have have many music files that i downloaded - god forbid - wirelessly  and they sound just as good as something i downloaded with wire -

Big Red Machine

wushuliu

« Reply #12 on: 18 Oct 2016, 08:05 pm »
competitor

http://www.psaudio.com/lanrover-usb-transporter/

Kind of apples and oranges though. I've played with the regular retail unit the LanRover is based on and it does a great job for usb, so I'm sure the LanRover is a step up. However, usb has an element of grain or just an overall signature that I could never shake regardless of whatever 'decrapifier' was used. Using ethernet got rid of that for me. For the usb crowd though, the LanRover will probably be a hit.

Vincent Kars

• The Well Tempered Computer
    • The Well Tempered Computer
« Reply #13 on: 21 Oct 2016, 10:01 am »
The idea that a fiber link (even a short one) can improve sound through isolation is intriguing
It certainly is intriguing.
Galvanic isolation is part of the Ethernet standard.
Makes one wonders how isolating by using a fiber can improve things that are already isolated.

Now if we assume regardless of this galvanic isolation there will be some interface noise creeping into the DAC one wonders why the interface noise of e.g. a switch should be higher or lower then the interface noise e.g. a TP-link.
Both have an ethernet port and yes, this is an electrical one.