Favorite brews?

Tomy2Tone

Re: Favorite brews?
« Reply #160 on: 24 Nov 2015, 02:39 am »
Please don't flog me for asking this, but does anybody know of any gluten free beers worth trying? I've been going gluten free for the last week or so and realize my beer drinking days are limited unless I can find something worth getting that's gluten free. There was a local store in my area that had a gluten free beer I tried a couple of years ago before I cared about it and thought it was awesome but unfortunately it's no longer around.

santacore

« Reply #161 on: 24 Nov 2015, 02:57 am »
A few years ago I went gluten free, and tried a few of the beers available at the time. Unfortunately, none of them were satisfying to my palate. Thankfully I'm not gluten intolerant, so I opted to stick with real beer.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #162 on: 24 Nov 2015, 03:12 am »
Aren't wheat beers gluten free?  :scratch:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #163 on: 24 Nov 2015, 04:06 am »
Aren't wheat beers gluten free?  :scratch:

:lol:

weatherman1

« Reply #164 on: 24 Nov 2015, 06:18 am »
If you don't have celiac disease drink what you want.  If you want really low gluten beer check out this list: http://gluteninbeer.blogspot.com/

Wayne1

« Reply #165 on: 24 Nov 2015, 11:12 am »
A few years ago I went gluten free, and tried a few of the beers available at the time. Unfortunately, none of them were satisfying to my palate. Thankfully I'm not gluten intolerant, so I opted to stick with real beer.

A truly gluten free beer is not made with barley or wheat. The main ingredient is usually sorghum. They tend not to taste like barley based beers.

A few years ago, an enzyme was found, that when added to beer prior to fermentation, dissolved the protein bonds that holds the gluten together. In the specific tests to determine what gluten levels are, the FDA states that anything below 40 ppm can be stated as "gluten free", beers made with this enzyme test at below 10ppm.

Omission is one brand that should be available nation wide. New Belgium just announced two beers that will be made with this process. My (Station 26 Brewing Co) Colorado Cream Ale is made with this enzyme. If you wish to stay away from barley and wheat, New Planet out of Boulder makes a true gluten free beer.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #166 on: 25 Nov 2015, 03:44 pm »
Have you hit Crooked Stave in Denver?  They do incredible things with wild yeasts. One of my favorite breweries in the country. Though not as wide a range of styles as other breweries will produce.

Crooked Stave is awesome, haven't been to their brewery as it's a bit further away but I'd agree they are one of the best.

ctviggen

« Reply #167 on: 25 Nov 2015, 03:57 pm »
If you don't have celiac disease drink what you want.  If you want really low gluten beer check out this list: http://gluteninbeer.blogspot.com/

I don't have celiac disease, but wheat causes me to have allergies, autoimmune diseases, gastrointestinal distress, and GERD.  How do I know?  I eat a low carb diet, and the few times a year I have wheat, all of those things return -- almost immediately.  Go back to not eating wheat, and they're all gone.  (Which sucks, as I enjoy a pizza every once in a while.)  So, we're getting the whole family (modern) wheat free.  We are experimenting with an ancient wheat (einkorn) and sourdough to see if that helps.  I haven't eaten it enough to know.

Because of this, I avoid all beer and a lot of hard liquors.  I will have some, though, such as rye or bourbon, periodically (every few months).