I hope so!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON CD PLAYER SURVEY
« Reply #282 on: 28 Sep 2014, 01:12 am »
Still considering it. 

Have the Drive and DACs in mind but have to convince others a CD Player is something needed given todays marketplace.

james

rpmartins

« Reply #283 on: 28 Sep 2014, 10:05 pm »
Still considering it. 

Have the Drive and DACs in mind but have to convince others a CD Player is something needed given todays marketplace.
james

I understand that.
A month ago a brazilian cousin  bought some CD to offer me. Their friends couldn't understand why spend time searching for a especific disc in store of there are itunes, spotify...
According to them CD is past and that's why they are cheap in Brazil.

drummermitchell

« Reply #284 on: 28 Sep 2014, 11:54 pm »
I was the same way...SPEND TIME SEARCHING FOR ONE SONG or two off of one CD,especially if you have 100 + more cds.
Welcome the BCD-1 or 2(except for a few hiccups,I definitely won't go back (only as back up).
No more searching for songs,put exactly what you want to hear on a playlist,end of story.
Whether you have one or two computers you can control from anywhere in the house(No More running around to change the disc for another song or two) and especially physically SEARCHING  for one or two tracks from a 100cds or 500+ :nono:.
Besides all the convenience,the sound is superb and I was really attached to my BCD-1,until introduced to the BDP's.                           The THE CDP which to me is so NEANDERTHAL compared to the BDP's and  to those who didn't get it right the first time as far as playback,convenience ect,it is Neanderthal as far as I'm concerned.
Amazing how some took it as pot shots at themselves,that tells me a lot about ....... :roll:.

Phil A

« Reply #285 on: 29 Sep 2014, 12:07 am »

Besides all the convenience,the sound is superb and I was really attached to my BCD-1,until introduced to the BDP's.                           The THE CDP which to me is so NEANDERTHAL compared to the BDP's and  to those who didn't get it right the first time as far as playback,convenience ect,it is Neanderthal as far as I'm concerned.
Amazing how some took it as pot shots at themselves,that tells me a lot about ....... :roll:.

That's pretty much the headline/take of the CNET review - http://www.cnet.com/news/goodbye-cd-players-hello-bryston-bdp-1/  "I'm seeing fewer and fewer CD players at consumer electronics trade shows; most demonstrations play music from higher-than-CD-resolution digital files or LPs! No wonder CDs are used in less than 10 percent of the demos. So it seems like the CD, even for high-end audiophiles, will soon be an endangered species."

1ZIP

« Reply #286 on: 29 Sep 2014, 05:50 am »
"That's pretty much the headline/take of the CNET review - http://www.cnet.com/news/goodbye-cd-players-hello-bryston-bdp-1/  "I'm seeing fewer and fewer CD players at consumer electronics trade shows; most demonstrations play music from higher-than-CD-resolution digital files or LPs! No wonder CDs are used in less than 10 percent of the demos. So it seems like the CD, even for high-end audiophiles, will soon be an endangered species."

An article dated June 2010, but there are probably more recent articles out there.  But Cd's continue to be produced, Cd's continue to sell, CD players continue to be produced and sell.  Is the CD format as popular as it once was?  No.  Is it in decline?  No doubt that is happening.  However, there are millions of Cd's out there that will be played on something and for some time to come.  Maybe CD's will go the route of LPs and turntables.  All I know for sure is that if Bryston produces another player I'll buy one.  If not I'll find another manufacturer.  I'm sure that is true of many folks.

srb

« Reply #287 on: 29 Sep 2014, 05:56 am »
However, there are millions of Cd's out there that will be played on something and for some time to come.

I agree.  That "something" will be largely DVD players, Blu-ray players and DVD and Blu-ray computer drives.  The CD disc has a far brighter and longer future than a CD (only) player.

Steve

rmurray

« Reply #288 on: 29 Sep 2014, 11:32 am »
"That's pretty much the headline/take of the CNET review - http://www.cnet.com/news/goodbye-cd-players-hello-bryston-bdp-1/  "I'm seeing fewer and fewer CD players at consumer electronics trade shows; most demonstrations play music from higher-than-CD-resolution digital files or LPs! No wonder CDs are used in less than 10 percent of the demos. So it seems like the CD, even for high-end audiophiles, will soon be an endangered species."

An article dated June 2010, but there are probably more recent articles out there.  But Cd's continue to be produced, Cd's continue to sell, CD players continue to be produced and sell.  Is the CD format as popular as it once was?  No.  Is it in decline?  No doubt that is happening.  However, there are millions of Cd's out there that will be played on something and for some time to come.  Maybe CD's will go the route of LPs and turntables.  All I know for sure is that if Bryston produces another player I'll buy one.  If not I'll find another manufacturer.  I'm sure that is true of many folks.   Yes  likewise for me . A new player  (CD) would be on my list.

Phil A

« Reply #289 on: 29 Sep 2014, 06:48 pm »

An article dated June 2010, but there are probably more recent articles out there.  But Cd's continue to be produced, Cd's continue to sell, CD players continue to be produced and sell.  Is the CD format as popular as it once was?  No.  Is it in decline?  No doubt that is happening.  However, there are millions of Cd's out there that will be played on something and for some time to come.  Maybe CD's will go the route of LPs and turntables.  All I know for sure is that if Bryston produces another player I'll buy one.  If not I'll find another manufacturer.  I'm sure that is true of many folks.

Yes - there are millions of CDs out there which will of course mean a demand for the means (player of some sort) to play them back.  This is a friend of a friend's website - http://www.classicstoday.com/   I go there sometimes to look at classical reviews and the guy probably owns 20,000 CDs (or even more).  Except for this past July (since I moved to FL), I went to the Capital Audiofest each of the past few years (there are pics in my gallery for a couple of years).  While I did not do a survey, I noticed CD demos for playback decreased dramatically.  It was probably about 2-2.5 years back when I started digitizing things.  I thought about it on occasion but was content with CD playback and hi-rez playback, first when I had the BCD-1 and then later CDs (using my Marantz DV9600 universal as a transport and it is wonderful at that and now sits in a guest room basically unused) via the BDA-1 and hi-rez using the BDA-1 fed via an Oppo and an HDMI audio de-embedder.  Going to the show on a regular basis, in addition to looking at Audio Circle, finally pushed me to file playback and I could really never go back.

I do understand about the simplicity of disc playback in addition to having the CD booklet.  When I got out of LPs many moons ago it was the same feeling going from the LP jacket to the CD booklet.  There is no doubt that physical CDs are a better choice for some.  I have one spare system where I am still playing with Squeezebox Touch hacks into a Teac DSD DAC.  I do on occasion throw a CD or even a DVD-A into the modded Oppo (since the BDP-83 outputs full resolution via coax) into the DAC via the coax digital output.  I may have an audio get together at my place in November and that will be the first time I've even used disc playback in the main system since I have it in the new place.  James and Bryston know what they are doing and I'm sure they will make the appropriate choice for the company.  There are compromises in modestly priced high end universal players that may not be optimum for CD only playback.  The technology on the digital side changes more rapidly than with analog stuff.  I am thinking about doing network playback into the main system and moving the music server and hard drives to a secondary system and the Squeezebox Touch (can be moved from the secondary system and) will work great outside (I have connections to the master bedroom system) to select playback vs. using a hard drive attached to the Oppo and a monitor I put outside to display the tracks.

BrystonFan

« Reply #290 on: 29 Sep 2014, 08:33 pm »
I'll buy a prototype James!  :D
17" Black with green LEDs...

spinner

« Reply #291 on: 29 Sep 2014, 11:21 pm »
  That sounds like the one i want...... :thumb:

1ZIP

« Reply #292 on: 30 Sep 2014, 05:30 pm »
Don't know what to call the color of lights on the "17"....blue, green. Blue-green?  But they are stunning against the silver dress plate, would make a great display color.  But at this point I'd take a new BCD if all it had was balanced outs and two buttons, on/off and open/close (or a hand crank). :D

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #293 on: 30 Sep 2014, 06:57 pm »
  Yes, I would too  LOl. I would prefer the green lights but , hey, as long as the James gang make the thing I don't care if they're pink. :thumb:

1ZIP

« Reply #294 on: 6 Oct 2014, 12:06 am »
For those that believe the BCD-X is a pipe dream there are two BCD-1s for sale on Audiogon.  Must admit it is tempting.

1ZIP

« Reply #295 on: 26 Oct 2014, 03:15 am »
James;

Any news to share on a potential BCD-X?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #296 on: 26 Oct 2014, 11:32 am »
James;

Any news to share on a potential BCD-X?

Sorry nothing yet. Still trying to convince my partner its a good move  :duh:

James

redbook

« Reply #297 on: 26 Oct 2014, 04:25 pm »
 :cry:

BrystonFan

« Reply #298 on: 26 Oct 2014, 08:17 pm »
Build it...(BCD-X)
And they will Buy!  :D :D

Keeping your flock happy.
The traditionalist Jewel-case poppers and the modern digital down loaders!

:D

redbook

« Reply #299 on: 26 Oct 2014, 09:00 pm »
Build it...(BCD-X)
And they will Buy!  :D :D

Keeping your flock happy.
The traditionalist Jewel-case poppers and the modern digital down loaders!    That's what I like to hear :thumb:

:D