Music server choices

htradtk

Music server choices
« on: 12 Sep 2013, 07:42 pm »
Greetings,

I've just begun my search to add a music server to my system and am overwhelmed by so many to choose from. Could use some help. I have around 750 SACD/CD's and would like to rip them to a server. I own a McIntosh MCD1100 SACD/CD player. Is it possible to connect a server to this player? Would like a server with the latest and greatest technology such as DSD. Would the new Sony that is coming out do the trick? Would appreciate anyone's help, thanks!

Henry

skunark

Re: Music server choices
« Reply #1 on: 13 Sep 2013, 06:32 am »
Other than a hacked Sony Playstation 3, there's not a way to rip SACDs because of licensing restrictions there probably won't be for some time.  You will be able to rip your CDs and there are several ways to go about that but do check into rippers that use the accuraterip for that extra level of confidence (rips will take longer too).

If you planned to use the MCD1100 DAC I does not support DSD formats via any digital input, or at least that's what the specifications indicates, and some of the inputs have limitations with PCM as well with the good ones limited to 24/96, but USB is 24/192 assuming that works (C50/C48 had or has issues with it's USB input).   

If you aren't too computer savvy the Sony player is probably not a bad way to go and it has a built-in HDD and DAC but I would hold out until you can understand how the interface works.    I assume there will be a smartphone app, but with large libraries the ease of searching for music is almost as important as the quality of the player, so I would at least read a review or do a self audition.

Of course if you don't want to wait, there are several DSD dacs and pair that with a mac mini or other low fan-noise computer or eventually something like the Bryston BDP-2 if DSD is added.

One thing is for sure though, I would have all your CDs ripped and at least have an Apple TV or Airport Express using the digital input to the MCD1100 for background music playing music from your computer.  I would have that today, it's a great way to learn what you might want while you look for the right digital player.