DSD 256 and beyond...

Tomy2Tone

DSD 256 and beyond...
« on: 20 Dec 2017, 11:49 am »
Wasn't sure where I wanted to post this so I figured here would be ok since I own an Atlantic plus and have questions on what to do next to optimize the dsd capability. I currently use an old 2011 mac mini as my server that has Roon core and have it connected to a Sonore ultraRendu that then goes to the dac. I never thought much of upsampling to dsd in the past as I didn't seem to notice too much of a difference but with recent upgrades and with Roon's dsp engine I really like what I'm hearing upsampling everything from Tidal and hi res tracks to dsd 128. When I try to go 256 through Roon I get the static pops but I still get the sense that 256 is quite a bit better than 128 so I'm interested in upgrading or moving on from my old mac mini to get something that can handle the Roon dsp and with the thought of eventually sending my Atlantic back to Poland sometime in 2018 to get the 512 engine.

A couple of thoughts I have are...

1) get something like a sonic transporter that is capable of the requirements I need which I'm not sure if the i5 version is good enough or if I would have to go up to the i7 which is considerably more in price. I think either way with sonic transporter I will have to get a new Roon subscription to download?

2) Just get a cheap NUC for the sold purpose of using Roon ROCK. I think even the i7 version is only $400. I'm not sure if my Roon subscription on my mac can transfer over to the NUC or if I have to get a new one here as well.

Any other thought or ideas?

jriggy

Re: DSD 256 and beyond...
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2017, 02:59 pm »
Hey Tom,

This short review might be of interest:
https://www.audiostream.com/content/intel-nuc-sonictransporter-tale-two-mini-computers-running-roon-core

But I still look forward to other comments or advice you (we) might here.

Jason

Gopher

« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2017, 03:15 pm »
Depending on the hardware in the Macmini, installing windows on it might be a free option/stop gap for you as you decide on your next move.   It'll also buy some time for the dust to settle as amanero hopefully gets us a non-beta firmware update.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2017, 03:20 pm »
Depending on the hardware in the Macmini, installing windows on it might be a free option/stop gap for you as you decide on your next move.   It'll also buy some time for the dust to settle as amanero hopefully gets us a non-beta firmware update.

Would windows be more efficient for the Roon dsp?

And can you help me understand the amanero firmware situation in regards to upsampling dsd vs native on a linux based unit like my Sonore ultraRednu?

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2017, 03:21 pm »
Hey Tom,

This short review might be of interest:
https://www.audiostream.com/content/intel-nuc-sonictransporter-tale-two-mini-computers-running-roon-core

But I still look forward to other comments or advice you (we) might here.

Jason

Thanks Jason!