The Purple Speaker, an $18 eight-inch fullrange from Wild Burro

pjanda1

• Industry Participant
I'm excited to introduce a brand new, one time offering from Wild Burro Audio, The Purple Speaker. These are brand new speakers from my normal US factory, made to the same standards as the Betsy and BetsyK. They have a paper cone, foam surround, steel basket and a 10oz magnet. The Qts is high enough to work on an OB, but due to the different suspension, the compliance is low enough that boxes can be reasonably sized! These specs are about as close as you can get to an all-around fullranger.

In addition, I thought I'd add another interesting wrinkle. As they are, no whizzer or dustcap is installed. I have noticed that folks often like to mess with the whizzer and/or bottom of the cone, be it the 99 cent tweak or the fancy stuff that Rethm does to Lowthers. So, with each speaker you get three different whizzers! The smallest is the same one used on the Betsy. The other two might look familiar to followers of other US made fullrangers. It only takes a minute to glue them on, but having them uninstalled makes it very easy to modify them prior to installation. The large whizzer begs to be cut to a more interesting profile. Think of the possibilities for ENaBLing! Of course, you can also cut one down to make only a dustcap and have a widebander.

The curve shows the speaker as it comes: no whizzer installed. The pic of the installed speaker is the smallest whizzer, the one that is standard on the Betsy/BetsyK. Obviously, this is the one I'm listening to now!

As they are hard to read, here are the T/S specs in print:

Re 6.6 Ohm, Fs 68.5 Hz, Sd 211.2, Md 10.5g
Bl 5.08, Qms, 4.80, Qes .770, Qts .664, Spl 95db
Vas 48.744L, Mms 7.02g

Of course, the best news is the price! I got 'em cheap, so you do too. The intro price is $18 each, $36 for a pair. I've already spent quite a few hours listening to them in my open baffle test mules, and I think you'll be as pleased as I am!

I've got one batch of these, and I'm hoping to keep quite a few pairs for myself. So, don't delay! Give me a holler and I'll get a pair on your doorstep ASAP.

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers

pjanda1

• Industry Participant
I still have a few pairs left!  Speak up now or forever hold your peace!

Paul
www.wildburroaudio.com

pjanda1

• Industry Participant
I shipped the last pair yesterday.  I have a single with a slightly dinged basket that I'm asking $10 for.  Aside from that, they are never to be seen again!  For those interested in great fullrangers, don't hesitate to check out the Betsy and BetsyK.  The Betsy has better specs for an OB, the BetsyK has better specs for a box, they both have better sounding cones, and better excursion capabilities.  The purple was a great value while she lasted, though!

Paul
www.wildburroaudio.com