Don's Soundscape 8-based home theater setup in African bubinga

jsalk

Don wanted a home theater setup based around the SoundScape 8's.  He looked at a lot of veneers and settled on African Bubinga.

Don also requested a number of custom changes to our basic designs.  He wanted chamfered edges rather than our typical roundover.  He wanted the drivers centered rather than our normal offset placement. He lowered the binding post position on the rear of the Veracity ST's.  He opted for veneer plinths.  And there were other changes as well.

Here are some photos of the resulting speakers...

For the center channel, Don chose the SoundScape 8C center and also had a small stand built to angle the speaker toward his listening position.  Here's a photo...

For surrounds, he opted for Veracity ST's.  Since they would be rather close to the rear wall, he chose to have them front-ported.  Here's a photo...

All in all, these speakers should provide the foundation for a pretty slick home theater set-up.

Happy listening Don!

- Jim

Tomy2Tone

They look great!

As much as I love the off set idea on the drivers I do like the look of them centered on the SS8's. Does having them centered allow for more toe in Jim? Or are there any trade offs either way?

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
Jiminy Hendrix those are double double gorgeous, what a system. Congrats and enjoy, Don!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
I so love that Bubinga! Congratulations, Don!

SlushPuppy

:bowdown:

Phil A

Absolutely stunning!

Kwebb

Wow!! They look awesome.

Kyle

Peter J

• Hmmmm
What's not to like...beautiful stuff, Jim.

FWIW, that grain pattern in Bubinga is called waterfall. I took a real shine to it and have two pairs of speakers with that same veneer.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
 :drool:  Happy listening Don.  :thumb:

johzel

I like the chamfered edge.  Is that cosmetic only or are there sonic advantages???

jsalk

Re: Don's Soundscape 8-based home theater setup in African bubinga
« Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2015, 09:10 pm »
I like the chamfered edge.  Is that cosmetic only or are there sonic advantages???

Actually, I think a rounded edge has an advantage since the purpose is to smooth the edge transition to help reduce diffraction artifacts.  In this case, the change was requested by the customer and as long as the requests are technically reasonable, we do what the customer wants.  After all, we are building his speakers, not our own.

- Jim

kingdeezie

Re: Don's Soundscape 8-based home theater setup in African bubinga
« Reply #11 on: 24 Sep 2015, 11:58 pm »
 :thumb:

Those look amazing.

Enjoy Don!