Need a New Camera - Suggestions?

Doublej

Re: Need a New Camera - Suggestions?
« Reply #20 on: 14 Sep 2016, 01:32 am »
I'm still looking...  Does anyone have any opinions about the Canon G7X Mark II?

Not much zoom. How about the Canon Powershot SX710 with its 25-750mm zoom? Or one in chip's link?

Todd Willhoit

« Reply #21 on: 14 Sep 2016, 01:47 am »
Thanks guys for all of the input. 

You've been using Canon cameras for years and like them.

Looks like you have me figured out!  I do have a little "stick with what you know" mindset going on that causes me to look at the Canons versus learning something new.  (Not that I think a new menu system will be difficult.) 

Clearly I am looking at cameras above the $300 mark of the S110, but at that price point I see many compromises.  Maybe I have upgradeitis.  Maybe I will look at the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 and generate some additional confusion.
« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2016, 02:51 am by Todd Willhoit »

Todd Willhoit

« Reply #22 on: 15 Sep 2016, 03:24 am »
So, I think this is my short list:
Canon G7X Mk II
Sony RX100 (II, III, or IV??)
Nikon DL24-85
Panasonic LUMIX ZS100

The Sony seems to garner more praise, but the Canon appears to have good specs too.  What is the life expectancy of a camera in this price range compared to a $300 camera?  What would you do?

Or to save a few dollars:
Canon PowerShot SX710 HS
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40

Folsom

« Reply #23 on: 15 Sep 2016, 04:08 am »
Type one in and then "review".

"Specs" only go so far. Leica's original 7mp camera still takes better photos than loads of 10-20mp cameras. That's why reviews with image quality included are nice. Other attributes often are mentioned in reviews too.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #24 on: 15 Sep 2016, 10:37 am »
So, I think this is my short list:
Canon G7X Mk II
Sony RX100 (II, III, or IV??)
Nikon DL24-85
Panasonic LUMIX ZS100

The Sony seems to garner more praise, but the Canon appears to have good specs too.  What is the life expectancy of a camera in this price range compared to a $300 camera?  What would you do?

Or to save a few dollars:
Canon PowerShot SX710 HS
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40
Canon G7X too expensive, for $347 you would buy a Nikon D3200 body (new):
https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D3200-Digital-Camera-Black/dp/B00MH6S1EW/ref=sr_1_7?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1473935400&sr=1-7&keywords=nikon+d3200
And fit a used Lens from here AC Trading Post, there is a used adv.

Or a complete set refurb:
https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital-3-5-5-6G-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B01DKUY9XK/ref=sr_1_8?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1473935400&sr=1-8&keywords=nikon+d3200

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #25 on: 15 Sep 2016, 11:00 am »
What is the life expectancy of a camera in this price range compared to a $300 camera?  What would you do?
+1 I curious too?

Todd Willhoit

« Reply #26 on: 15 Sep 2016, 12:34 pm »
Canon G7X too expensive, for $347 you would buy a Nikon D3200 body (new):

Thanks FullRangeMan.  Those are too BIG.  I need a pocket camera.

Todd Willhoit

« Reply #27 on: 15 Sep 2016, 12:41 pm »
Type one in and then "review".

Yep.  I've been all over dpreview, steve's digicams, Ken Rockwell, etc. trying to separate the wheat from the chaff. 

"Specs" only go so far.

100% in agreement.  For a casual user, my original Canon A70 3.2MP took far better pictures than the other pocket cameras we have had.  Usually though, facts are easier to digest than opinions.  At least they can help thin the herd.

cliffy

« Reply #28 on: 15 Sep 2016, 01:52 pm »
Sony RX100.

My wife has had this camera since it came out. Still takes beautiful pictures.
This is her go-to camera. Pocket sized and very capable.

She has a Nikon D7000 with some decent glass but prefers to grab the Sony.

Her brother and cousin have also gotten the Sony on her recommendation and they have been very happy also.

We looked at upgrading to a newer version but our version 1 is still going strong.

Go to a store and try them all in your hand.  That can be a differentiator as well.

Best of luck!

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #29 on: 15 Sep 2016, 02:07 pm »
Sony RX100.

My wife has had this camera since it came out. Still takes beautiful pictures.
This is her go-to camera. Pocket sized and very capable.

She has a Nikon D7000 with some decent glass but prefers to grab the Sony.

Her brother and cousin have also gotten the Sony on her recommendation and they have been very happy also.

We looked at upgrading to a newer version but our version 1 is still going strong.

Go to a store and try them all in your hand.  That can be a differentiator as well.

Best of luck!

I like the Sony -- takes good pictures in all lights and size is right.  At some events like concerts, though, I find myself wishing it has a little more zoom.  But the (relatively) small superzooms tend to get slow with processing -- hate it when it takes a second or more to process a picture -- and are lousy performers in low light.  So I still end up taking my RX100 MK2 with me when I can't lug anything bigger.

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #30 on: 15 Sep 2016, 02:27 pm »
What is the life expectancy of a camera in this price range compared to a $300 camera? 

Quite a long time, assuming you don't drop it.

Steven Stone

« Reply #31 on: 16 Sep 2016, 07:03 pm »
If small and light is important I'd look at the many micro 4/3 cameras available.

Most are small, all use interchangeable lenses, and the image quality is very good.

I use my Panasonic G-7 for almost everything now, my Pentax APS DSLR rarely gets outside.

Emil

« Reply #32 on: 16 Sep 2016, 07:42 pm »
Have a  Sony Rx100. Nice camera and easy to travel with. See tourists all the tiime with bulky cameras and bags of lenses. That would take all the fun out of sightseeing and picture taking.

Leaning Tower of Pisa

brooklyn

« Reply #33 on: 16 Sep 2016, 08:05 pm »
I recently purchased a Sony A6000 mirrorless camera bundled with two kit lenses.
The camera is not much bigger then a point and shoot with the 16-50mm kit lens.
It has a 24.3MP APS-C sensor and the fastest focusing system I’ve ever used on a
camera. It has all the bells and whistles of a full size DSLR without the bulk..
I’m happy with mine.. 

Photon46

« Reply #34 on: 16 Sep 2016, 08:57 pm »
Have a  Sony Rx100. Nice camera and easy to travel with. See tourists all the tiime with bulky cameras and bags of lenses. That would take all the fun out of sightseeing and picture taking.

Hah! I traveled, hiked, and photographed carrying a 45 pound 4x5" camera outfit and tripod for years and years. I still managed to have a blast (although it also provided a sore back and feet.)  :lol:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #35 on: 16 Sep 2016, 10:42 pm »
I use my Panasonic G-7 for almost everything now, my Pentax APS DSLR rarely gets outside.

How do you like it? I was initially turned off by the build quality, but apart from that it seems like a pretty decent camera. I gave it some serious thought but I didn't want to delve into another system, so instead I bought a f1.2 lens which actually cost more than the G7

Folsom

« Reply #36 on: 16 Sep 2016, 11:54 pm »
Hah! I traveled, hiked, and photographed carrying a 45 pound 4x5" camera outfit and tripod for years and years. I still managed to have a blast (although it also provided a sore back and feet.)  :lol:

Thanks A. Adams.

SET Man

« Reply #37 on: 17 Sep 2016, 01:14 am »

Leaning Tower of Pisa

Hey!

Emil, nice shot of the Tower. As for those tourists with bulky cameras and bag full of lenses? Yup, guilty here... I'm one of those  :lol:

I don't travel much but I was walking around with my camera bag full of cameras, lenses and etc weight about 12-15 lbs everyday for my last trip. And no, it didn't take away fun off my trip... I actually had a blast taking pictures!!!

But I can see the day when I'm older and can't carry all those stuff than I will have to leave all those heavy stuff home and get something like the Sony RX 100 series camera.

Man! Now that's dedication to LF photography.  :bowdown:

Take care,
Buddy  :thumb:

Todd Willhoit

« Reply #38 on: 19 Sep 2016, 12:41 am »
I found an open box RX100 mkii for $390 at the box store complete with all accessories.   Would you trust an open box?

SET Man

« Reply #39 on: 19 Sep 2016, 01:22 am »
I found an open box RX100 mkii for $390 at the box store complete with all accessories.   Would you trust an open box?

Hey!

If this is one of those big box reputable store than I then I think it is OK. Usually "Open Box" will have the same factory warranty as the new one. Just make sure that everything work as it should and NO scratches on the lens, use the flash light on you phone if it had one shine on the lens, move it around and look closely to see if there is any scratches on it. And ask for return policy on Open Box item just in case.

Take care,
Buddy  :thumb: