Considering Omegas

raylinds

Considering Omegas
« on: 29 Oct 2014, 01:10 pm »
Hi everyone,
New member here, but it looks like a place I can enjoy. I currently have a 300b SET amp that puts out about 10 watts that is driving Paradigm speakers.  I really like the sound of my system- nice soundstage, a lot of details and just very musical.  I listen to a lot of jazz, and cymbals and brushes sound amazingly detailed.  I have a pair of subwoofers nicely integrated into the system.

As much as I like the system, I think it is time to take it to the next level, so I am considerig buying a top-of-the line Audio Note 300b SET kit, and some more efficient speakers (the Paradigms are fairly efficient, but I think I couild improve the dynamics with more efficiency).

I have been leaning towards Audio Note Speakers like the AN/E, or Devores, but have been hearing some really good things about the Omega AlNiCo XRS with hemp cones.  I like the concept of a single driver, they are beautiful to look at and the price is very attractive.  I guess the one thing I am concerned about is will I be giving up some detail in the high end without a tweeter?  I'm not so concerned about the bass.  I'm not concerned that the specs go to 18kHz as at 57 I'm sure that's at the limit of my hearing, but I am concerned about the quality and details in the highs.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Ray

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Considering Omegas
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2014, 03:12 pm »
  You will never go wrong with an Omega speaker. A perfect match with 300B. Just try them and I doubt they will be returned.

charles

ClefChef

« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2014, 04:44 pm »
I'd say if you can afford Audio Note or DeVore definitely go for it. Omega is a great value for money.

milford3

« Reply #3 on: 29 Oct 2014, 04:44 pm »
+1 on the Omegas.  A 10 watt SET is plenty of power for any Omega speaker.  I run my Hoyt Bedfords with a Musical Paradise 301 MK2.  If your choice is the Omegas consider level 3 finish.  It's worth the upgrade.  You will not stop staring at them.  Trust me! :o

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 29 Oct 2014, 04:50 pm »
I've heard AN and Devore, I prefer Omega.

I'd call Louis and talk about a version that incorporates the new speed 12 driver.

raylinds

« Reply #5 on: 29 Oct 2014, 05:29 pm »
Thanks to everyone for their responses.  I will contact Louis.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 29 Oct 2014, 05:32 pm »
Hi raylinds,

Welcome to the Omega Audio Circle. 

I have the Super Alnico Monitors and have no issues with top end with the sound being rich and dense.  Typical of any Omega or Hoyt, the imaging is insane. 
Listening to them, one would swear they go to 20kHz even though they are rated to 18kHz.
The bottom end is such that they don't require a sub.  That said, a good sub will help almost any speaker.
See the link to this review of the Super Alnico XRS:
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2010/09/omega-super-6-alnico-xrs-extended-room-speakers/

FireGuy

« Reply #7 on: 29 Oct 2014, 06:21 pm »
Welcome Ray -

I too endorse without reservation Louis' single-driver line up.  Here are my observations since getting the Super 5's with the RS5:

Increased level of "spaciousness" with the high efficiency drivers.
Forward presentation this side of neutral.
Plenty of head room given the proper space for the 4.5", RS5 driver... (quite remarkable).
Outstanding build quality.
Excellent image specificity with an extraordinary wide stage...and given the source, good depth of stage.
SET friendly.
Integrate seamlessly with sub (which I recommend adding).
Excellent relationship with Omega (Louis).
Value/Cost ratio is insane.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #8 on: 29 Oct 2014, 09:05 pm »
If you really like that sparkle, you can add a supertweeter - just like a sub for the high end.  See the thread here:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=128883.0.  I will post an update there, but I'll relate here that I just picked up a used pair of Vifa supertweets for $250 that have configurable high pass and level.  They really do add something nice to the sound.  Quality ST's with configuration often costs more though.  One of the popular ones is the Townshend which sell for ~$1000 new depending on exchange rates with England.  Another is the AudioSmile for a touch less and a shipping cost only trial period.

I have Super 7 XRS Alnicos, BTW.  I used to have Paradigm Studio 40s - the last version.  No comparison.  There might be some comparison if you are talking Sigs.  Those Be tweeters can be magic in the right setup.  But I have never heard better imaging anywhere since I got the Omegas.  This includes demos of mega buck systems in stores with well treated listening rooms.

The Alnicos excel at everything except the Ferrites have more high end extension.  So, for me, Alnico and supertweeters are looking like a good solution.

.....Peter

beowulf

« Reply #9 on: 30 Oct 2014, 07:29 am »
Welcome to the forums ... glad to see you made it over here.  I have never heard the Audio Notes in person, but I have heard the Devore O/96's and thought the bass to be too loose for my tastes (in fact I have read this to be an issue with other O owners as well).  I also prefer a 3D imaging but felt that the O's produced more of a 2D wall of sound, I also felt they were a tad slow.  It comes down to preferences, but after spending a good amount of time hearing them I was glad to get home to my own Omegas. 

Some things that are important to me are speed, imaging, easy to drive with just a few watts.  I prefer the RS7 ferrite drivers because I like the top end extension that they give and a majority of my musical preferences are Hard Rock/Punk and bass heavy types of music.  They reach down pretty good on the lows, but I'll echo most people here and say I prefer them with a sub.  If a majority of my music was Jazz I would go for the Super XRS, but right now I'm saving for a pair of Outlaw Super 7 XRS as they seem to have just about everything I could ask for in a speaker.

raylinds

« Reply #10 on: 30 Oct 2014, 04:35 pm »
Welcome to the forums ... glad to see you made it over here.  I have never heard the Audio Notes in person, but I have heard the Devore O/96's and thought the bass to be too loose for my tastes (in fact I have read this to be an issue with other O owners as well).  I also prefer a 3D imaging but felt that the O's produced more of a 2D wall of sound, I also felt they were a tad slow.  It comes down to preferences, but after spending a good amount of time hearing them I was glad to get home to my own Omegas. 

Some things that are important to me are speed, imaging, easy to drive with just a few watts.  I prefer the RS7 ferrite drivers because I like the top end extension that they give and a majority of my musical preferences are Hard Rock/Punk and bass heavy types of music.  They reach down pretty good on the lows, but I'll echo most people here and say I prefer them with a sub.  If a majority of my music was Jazz I would go for the Super XRS, but right now I'm saving for a pair of Outlaw Super 7 XRS as they seem to have just about everything I could ask for in a speaker.

Hi Beowulf! I listen to a lot of jazz and vocal music, but some classic rock.  The SQ of the Jazz is more important to me than the classic rock, so I am really interested in the Super XRS.  Living in NYC makes it pretty easy to find a range of speakers to audition, so I will spend some time doing that.  Hopefully there is an Omega dealer there.  If not, I think there is a return policy so I may just pull the trigger.  I do want to audition the AN and Devores, though, just to have a comparison.

My priorities are a full midrange, a good soundstage, and details (like the sound of the pick hitting an acoustic guitar string, the inhale breath of the singer, the stick hitting the cymbal, etc.).  It sounds like the Omegas can deliver this, and at a very attractive price.  I could afford the ANs, but why spend the money if you don't need to?

Thanks for the input.

Holygeezer

« Reply #11 on: 30 Oct 2014, 06:58 pm »
This is my first time posting here. I used to have a pair of 3XRS speakers with the hemp drivers. I loved them for jazz and vocal music. Though I found them missing a bit of bass for rock and reggae, etc. So I sold them and went with Silverline Preludes that went deeper in bass. But I could never get that detail and soundstage out of my mind that the Omega's did so well. Long story short, I recently acquired the pair of Outlaw 1.5 Way Towers from Louis on the Outlaw Store. They have all the bass I need now along with all the detail and soundstage of the Super 3XRS. I just don't like subs in my music system (a personnel preference). But given your expressed needs I don't think you can go wrong with a pair of Super 3XRS with the new RS5 driver. One other thing I love about Omega's is their level of finish. It is wonderful to have your speakers look as good as they sound. I have no more longing for new speakers with these towers, given my musical needs. I love all kinds of music with the exception of heavy metal.

Holygeezer

« Reply #12 on: 30 Oct 2014, 07:03 pm »
Oops. My post should have read: (a personal preference).