Custom Super 7xrs

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: Custom Super 7xrs
« Reply #40 on: 12 Apr 2017, 03:44 am »
In fact, I would not be surprised to see the RS7 phased out.

The RS7 driver will live on in the Super 7 Monitor MK2.  A customer of mine just replaced KEF LS50s with 7 Monitor MK2s and is very happy.   Even though Louis' single driver speakers are somewhat overshadowed by the doubles (which are considerably more money), the singles are still a screaming bargain if you compare them to what's out there anywhere near their price.   
« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2017, 05:23 am by Canada Rob »

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #41 on: 12 Apr 2017, 03:46 am »
Beautiful setup Jorgen.  Nicely integrated into your room.

pursuitofnow

« Reply #42 on: 12 Apr 2017, 04:00 am »
Great looking setup! I bet it sounds incredible.

What finish are the speakers? Birdseye maple?

I love the rack/stand as well. Do you know where can I find one like it?

jorgen

« Reply #43 on: 12 Apr 2017, 06:17 am »
The finish is zebrawood. This batch are a bit different from other zebrawood stuff I have seen, like the cabinet that is build by clic. Available in different sizes I think.

roscoe65

« Reply #44 on: 12 Apr 2017, 12:03 pm »
The RS7 driver will live on in the Super 7 Monitor MK2.  A customer of mine just replaced KEF LS50s with 7 Monitor MK2s and is very happy.   Even though Louis' single driver speakers are somewhat overshadowed by the doubles (which are considerably more money), the singles are still a screaming bargain if you compare them to what's out there anywhere near their price.

It also occurred to me that the RS7 in the Super 7 Monitor Mk2 makes sense to continue.  It is pretty close in price to the Super 3i Monitor and offers more of what the typical buyer looks for (higher power handling, better bass, more sensitivity) as well as satisfying the "bigger is better" market.  At the same time, I can really see the Junior 8 XRS cannibalizing sales from both the Super 7 XRS and the Super 3 XRS.

I think it is now possible to hit markets from $700 to $4,700 at $300 to $400 intervals, which strikes me as a smart decision.  My personal feelings are that the sweet spots (in their lowest level finishes) are:

• Super 3 Desktop at $695
  • Super 7 Monitor Mk 2 at $995
  • Super 3 HO Monitor at $1.295
  • Compact Alnico Monitor at $1,495
  • Junior 8 XRS at $1,795
  • Super Alnico HO Monitor at $3,395
  • Super Alnico HO XRS at $4,695

Of course, this being audio others will have different preferences.  Jorgen's new speakers are a case in point:  Super Alnico HO speakers in what is effectively a Junior 8 XRS cabinet.  Frankly, I think that one is a winner.

jorgen

« Reply #45 on: 12 Apr 2017, 09:04 pm »
To me the size is close to perfect. Really tight sound to them. With the speakers and sweetspot in a triangle that is pretty tight and with lots of room all around and especially behind where I sit I have an incredible depth. For ordinary listening they are parked beside sofa.

jorgen

« Reply #46 on: 16 Oct 2017, 10:09 am »
Hi guys

I know it’s a stupid question, but have on hand a Rythmik barely used sub. It’s the F12se, not to expensive either. Do you think it will be a good upgrade? I want 2 of them later(I think is wise??)  if I like it, but I’m a bit worried it will be more difficult to make it blend in with speakers and maybe f... up the fabulous sound I’m enjoying now.
A little under 50% of new price.

I am doomed to place behind the speakers, very close to one of them, but if I get two later, the second can be placed pretty much as the first one behind the other speaker, behind and inside if understandable

roscoe65

« Reply #47 on: 16 Oct 2017, 12:21 pm »
Hi guys

I know it’s a stupid question, but have on hand a Rythmik barely used sub. It’s the F12se, not to expensive either. Do you think it will be a good upgrade? I want 2 of them later(I think is wise??)  if I like it, but I’m a bit worried it will be more difficult to make it blend in with speakers and maybe f... up the fabulous sound I’m enjoying now.
A little under 50% of new price.

I am doomed to place behind the speakers, very close to one of them, but if I get two later, the second can be placed pretty much as the first one behind the other speaker, behind and inside if understandable

Jorgen,

This is along the lines of a similar thread over at Audio Aficionado (Dennis Had Inspire).  Your F12se subwoofer is the higher end 12" sealed subwoofer from Rythmik.  Howwever, if you wanted to to "upgrade", you can drop in the Danny Ritchie-designed 12" F12G driver with no other modifications.  I think the driver is about $200 plus shipping.

If you were looking for a less expensive Rythmik option for stereo subs, the L12 offers similar performance with a bit smaller size and less amplifier flexibility for half the price.  The owner of Rythmik has indicated that the L12 and F12G perform almost identically.  However, only the F12/F12G has speaker-level inputs.  The L12 has line-level inputs that you can adapt pretty easily to speaker level.

Another option is to get the "Custom Installation" versions of the subwoofer from Rythmik and ask Louis to make the cabinetry for you.  He's done it for at least one other user and Salk does this using the Rythmik products as well.

I've been using stereo F8 subwoofers with my SAM's and will soon try to integrate them with my new Super 3HO speakers.  Rythmik paper-coned subwoofers are fast, accurate and relatively easy to integrate with efficient drivers.

oskar

« Reply #48 on: 16 Oct 2017, 02:59 pm »
"However, only the F12/F12G has speaker-level inputs.  The L12 has line-level inputs that you can adapt pretty easily to speaker level."

That is news to me. How is that done? Thanks

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #49 on: 16 Oct 2017, 03:14 pm »
I'd give it a shot!  :thumb:

roscoe65

« Reply #50 on: 16 Oct 2017, 04:13 pm »
"However, only the F12/F12G has speaker-level inputs.  The L12 has line-level inputs that you can adapt pretty easily to speaker level."

That is news to me. How is that done? Thanks

According to Rythmik, you can use an off-the-shelf adapter (cheap, on Amazon but not of "audiophile" quality, if that matters:  https://www.crutchfield.com/S-tT5ZYnDQCHl/p_543ADP12/Russound-ADP-1-2-Speaker-level-to-Line-level-Adapter.html) or you can simply make l-pad.  There are lots of schematics for L-pad adapters for using speaker amps with headphones.  You're essentially running your power amp into near-infinite impedance.  You're not moving any current to speak of, but the gain might be too high, hence the l-pad.  This is a good guide:  http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/speaker_to_line.html.

jorgen

« Reply #51 on: 17 Oct 2017, 10:39 am »
Pretty seldom these subs are for sale here, and price isn’t to scary. Within my price range. I will try it out I guess. I’m gonna have to read up on how to best connect and set up. I have som deep bass potential and guess it will be a new dimension

roscoe65

« Reply #52 on: 17 Oct 2017, 01:02 pm »
Pretty seldom these subs are for sale here, and price isn’t to scary. Within my price range. I will try it out I guess. I’m gonna have to read up on how to best connect and set up. I have som deep bass potential and guess it will be a new dimension

The F series subwoofers can be connected either line level or speaker level.  There are a number of manufacturers (including Omega and REL) who favor speaker level connection.

Additionally, if you like the sub but find the stock aluminum driver does not blend as seamlessly as you would like, you can retrofit the F12G driver for #$179 plus shipping.  http://gr-research.com/sw-12-04.aspx

jorgen

« Reply #53 on: 18 Oct 2017, 12:56 pm »
I think he will provide me with RCA cables. I can use the pass-through out on my amps right?

Thanks for the hint about upgrading the driver. Hope i dont have too. I gave the seller an offer today.

roscoe65

« Reply #54 on: 18 Oct 2017, 05:17 pm »
I think he will provide me with RCA cables. I can use the pass-through out on my amps right?

Thanks for the hint about upgrading the driver. Hope i dont have too. I gave the seller an offer today.

If the RCA out on your amp is after the volume control, yes.  I do believe that the Decware amps are set up this way.