The turntable that would make a digital audiophile convert back to analog?

BobM

Music, in all its forms, is good.

That being said, I can see how some digi-types get a simple CD player and are happy. But others look for the best DAC, or go the computer audio route and get into all sorts of complications. On the vinyl side it can also be relatively plug and play or you can get into a similar amount of setup pickiness and such.

Personally, if I'm going to get deep into a hobby I better be enjoying all the minutia that comes along with that level of committment. I guess it's all part of becoming an amateur expert on something that you truly love.

Scoville

Thanks jarcher and brooklyn
I think I will check out the Pro-Ject more closely. Also I think many here don't think the analog vs digital needs to be an MMA slugfest. I don't think I should have used the term "convert" on my original post, but rather want to add a TT to my existing digital audio system. I don't want to become an Audio snob, and start calling the digital side "the dark side". All audio is good, that is my weakness.

I have a Pro-Ject Debut  and I upgraded the cartridge to the Ortofon 2M Blue a while back.   Would recommend the combination (although I should note that my Pro-ject didn't have the Red installed as the original cartridge -- it was a cheaper Ortofon -- so the improvement from that to the Blue was just stunning).  Have fun.   

brooklyn

Well that's music to my ears.. :D

Thanks for the tip Scoville, much appreciated.

Guy 13

I have a Pro-Ject Debut  and I upgraded the cartridge to the Ortofon 2M Blue a while back.   Would recommend the combination (although I should note that my Pro-ject didn't have the Red installed as the original cartridge -- it was a cheaper Ortofon -- so the improvement from that to the Blue was just stunning).  Have fun.   

Hi Scoville.
Yes, that's good information, in case I want to scrap my Rega P3.
Thanks.
May I ask what phono stage you have?

Guy 13

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Geowak,
The title of this thread is unfortunate.  Besides attracting idiot trolls who didn't bother to find out what this is really about, it implies something only you can answer.  Exactly what are you looking for?   You might not know what that is specifically in equipment, but do you know the sound you want?
Are you prepared to start cleaning records and futzing with all the record player adjustments, mounting considerations etc. or do you just want another source?  Looking for detailed yet forgiving, something that could make your jaw drop, wide and deep stage, near perfect speed stability, all of the above?

30 years ago you dumped your record player for CDs.   Why, perfect sound forever, tired of noisy records? 
My post is about expectations and your desire to get back into analog.  If you really want to get back into it, the choices are confusing.  While it's a good idea to get something with good resale value, I doubt if entry level will really float your boat.  It would be nice to get something you might be happy with for longer term rather than spend your time buying and selling.  You'll also need stuff like an RCM, fluid, sleeves.  How about a phono stage? 

If you're serious we should be talking about specifics and not all this digital vs analog BS.  You can change the name of this thread.  Just log in and modify your post.  I'll nominate the Audiomods arm with micrometer (around $1K) and a decent used table cut out for Rega, a Vista phono stage ($300) and a used VPI 16.5 RCM (around $400).  We can figure out a nice cart for that, depending on your preference.  We can be well under $5K, even $4K, and you'll have an excellent record player and what you need to get going.

Look at this stuff:
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/turntables-nitty-gritty-model-2-oak-cabinet-2014-07-24-analog-24060-whitethorne-va

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/turntables-basis-2000-1-belt-drive-turntable-excellent-2014-06-26-analog-95053-santa-clara-ca

neo

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
As long as the responses are reasoned with personal experiences in both formats, I am fine with discussing differences between digital and analog.  I don't want dogmatic assertions though.  No shouting matches please.

Everyone prioritizes aspects of music differently.  Some can't stand the pops and ticks and will not touch vinyl.  Some prefer the full or bloated sound of vinyl over the clinically clean yet lean or accurate digital sound.  Some think details and dynamics are most important.  Others think tonality over-rides accuracy.  It's a personal preference thing.  Then there is the different routines that you have to go through to play.  CD's used to be much easier but the whole computer playback routine is making this format somewhat cumbersome.  Still, it's all in the set up and one can play for a long time once you hit play whereas you have to keep changing the records while cleaning the stylus, the record surface and destaticizing each time. 

Personally, I go to analog when I really want to get lost in the music given my set up on both formats.  But I won't give up on the digital formats either because it is much more convenient and I can't get some music on vinyl that I can get on digital.  I also think the hi-rez products are sounding damned good especially when they were produced in hi-rez throughout.  Remastering crappy master into hi-rez files doesn't do it.  Nor does remastering bad analog master into 200 gm 45's for that matter.

My theory for digital music lacking something is this.  I remember having to do a hand written Fourier transform in my limited math education.  What I got was that it's a PITA and that it would take high powered computing (30 years ago) to do any transform to replicate a shape.  Philosophical impression that I got was that transform approaches the real shape with infinite steps but never the real thing.  I don't really know if music sampling uses Fourier or not but my rudimentary grasping of music sampling theory is that you get closer to the real thing with more bits and higher frequency.  But hi-rez isn't everything though.  I have heard Non Over Sampling DACs at 16bit depth sound very full and musical where faster and bigger DAC did not.  Also a preamp (or the analog output section of the DAC) makes a big difference in the sound.  The conclusion is that ADC/DAC is an approximation process that gets truer to the original sound with more bit depth and higher frequency but the analog manipulation of the replicated signal afterward may even be more important. 

So I don't really know if the vinyl sound that I like is due to an additional, analog artifact or because it's that sound that didn't lose anything.  I know I prefer it.  For now.    :?

As far as conversion from digital to analog in the OP question,  it's a moot point.  I do both. 

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
I rely on my state of mind to decide which to enjoy. If I'm drinking...it's CDs, If I'm stone cold sober...it's vinyl. :green:

Doc

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
I rely on my state of mind to decide which to enjoy. If I'm drinking...it's CDs, If I'm stone cold sober...it's vinyl. :green:

Doc

There is that.  Drunk handling of vinyl can lead to expensive accidents. :nono:  Plus, everything sounds good at that point anyway.

Scoville

Hi Scoville.
Yes, that's good information, in case I want to scrap my Rega P3.
Thanks.
May I ask what phono stage you have?

Guy 13

Guy --

My phono stage is a Vista phono 1 mk-II.  Have had it for couple months now.  Am quite pleased with it.

brooklyn

I must have miss the boat on the Vista phono preamp, I never even heard of it until now
but it looks interesting.. Thanks for sharing..

sunnydaze

I must have miss the boat on the Vista phono preamp, I never even heard of it until now
but it looks interesting.. Thanks for sharing..

I owned the Vista phono for several years.  It is excellent for the price, and beyond.   I used it in a much higher level analog setup than is being discussed here, so buy with confidence.    :thumb:

Highly recommended, and Boris is great to deal with.  A simple search on this board will uncover many positive comments.

WireNut

I owned the Vista phono for several years.  It is excellent for the price, and beyond.   I used it in a much higher level analog setup than is being discussed here, so buy with confidence.    :thumb:

Highly recommended, and Boris is great to deal with.  A simple search on this board will uncover many positive comments.

I'll 2nd the Vista. I have a Vista ACLE unit and compared it to a Pass Labs DIY Pearl 2, the Vista hands down is better then the pearl 2 in my system.
To me, the Pearl 2 was too layed back with little dynamics compared to the Vista.
I sold the pearl 2.

geowak

Once again, thanks to all for the info. I will read through it and look at all the options. I do know, that analog brings a different set of problems and quirks as well as the chance to get high quality sound. I think that many of you are correct, there are many things to consider when getting back into records and turntables. I would need to get a better phono amp, for sure. So in the end, many more pieces of equipment to buy and tweak.  I realize some of you audio guys have spent many, many hours changing setups. in an attempt to get better sound. Probably over many years. My hats off to you! So the lesson I'm sure, is that if you are going down that road, know beforehand, it can be a very long ride.