TV Interfering With IR Remote

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
TV Interfering With IR Remote
« on: 20 Oct 2014, 11:25 am »
If you google the topic "plasma TV interference with IR remote" you will find tons of info. Turns out plasma TVs  and even some LCD TVs spew out non-visible light noise in the infrared band. This can result in either a non-responsive IR remote or unpredictable responses.

I'm posting this because I know of at least one documented case where one of our customers was having endless issues with our V2 board and Apple Remote. Turned out as soon as he turned off his plasma TV/monitor the problem went away.

Apparently this problem can affect a wide array of IR controlled devices from multiple manufacturers. It's not a defect of IR control. It's a defect of the TVs.

So this is a heads up that in case you're getting flakey responses or no responses to your Apple Remote with our preamps, turn off your TVs and other display.  Doing so will likely solve the problem.

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: TV Interfering With IR Remote
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2014, 07:35 pm »
On the Ham radio forums, I read that plasma TV's are also a great source of RFI interference on the low frequencies Ham bands.

dantakayama

« Reply #2 on: 1 Nov 2014, 02:28 am »
If you google the topic "plasma TV interference with IR remote" you will find tons of info. Turns out plasma TVs  and even some LCD TVs spew out non-visible light noise in the infrared band. This can result in either a non-responsive IR remote or unpredictable responses.

I'm posting this because I know of at least one documented case where one of our customers was having endless issues with our V2 board and Apple Remote. Turned out as soon as he turned off his plasma TV/monitor the problem went away.

Apparently this problem can affect a wide array of IR controlled devices from multiple manufacturers. It's not a defect of IR control. It's a defect of the TVs.

So this is a heads up that in case you're getting flakey responses or no responses to your Apple Remote with our preamp, turn off your TVs and other display.  Doing so will likely solve the problem.

It's not always possible to turn the TV off, since I watch movies and put the sound through my music system to get the best sound. In that case the remote is indeed nonfunctional for Tortuga preamp/volume control. I put the LDR board in a stainless steel & aluminum enclosure that I built and I'm not successful in blocking the interference from TV. I appreciate any help / suggestions.

Daniel

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #3 on: 1 Nov 2014, 05:12 pm »
It's not always possible to turn the TV off, since I watch movies and put the sound through my music system to get the best sound. In that case the remote is indeed nonfunctional for Tortuga preamp/volume control. I put the LDR board in a stainless steel & aluminum enclosure that I built and I'm not successful in blocking the interference from TV. I appreciate any help / suggestions.

Daniel

This is a tough problem to crack from everything I've read so far. Some TV's (plasma mostly) emit enough noise in the IR band that it steps on the remote's IR signal so nothing gets through or what does get through is gibberish. It's easy to say just get a new TV that doesn't have this problem...but so far that appears to be the only real fix other than simply turning the TV off.  :cry:  The IR Receiver used in the Tortuga board is very robust and generally has better reception than any brand name consumer products I own or have owned.

If anyone hears of any solutions to this type of IR interference please let us know.

kernelbob

« Reply #4 on: 1 Nov 2014, 05:40 pm »
Just did a quick search and found this link.  Would something like this be useful?

http://www.radioshack.com/radioshack-wired-ir-repeater-system/1500458.html

dantakayama

« Reply #5 on: 2 Nov 2014, 01:44 am »
This is a tough problem to crack from everything I've read so far. Some TV's (plasma mostly) emit enough noise in the IR band that it steps on the remote's IR signal so nothing gets through or what does get through is gibberish. It's easy to say just get a new TV that doesn't have this problem...but so far that appears to be the only real fix other than simply turning the TV off.  :cry:  The IR Receiver used in the Tortuga board is very robust and generally has better reception than any brand name consumer products I own or have owned.

If anyone hears of any solutions to this type of IR interference please let us know.

I read someone mentioned to change the backlit & brightness control down. So I went and changed those and other automatic picture control and now the remote is working beautifully with the tv on.

Daniel

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #6 on: 2 Nov 2014, 02:32 pm »
I read someone mentioned to change the backlit & brightness control down. So I went and changed those and other automatic picture control and now the remote is working beautifully with the tv on.

That's great news!!! Dialing back those settings probably reduced the intensity of the IR band noise such that the IR remote command signals are now able to be "seen" by the IR receiver. Said differently, you raised the signal to noise ratio. Nice!  :thumb: