Geek Wave vs Pono

mr_bill

Geek Wave vs Pono
« on: 8 Jun 2014, 07:02 pm »
If we are talking the basic ~$399 player - I wonder which one will be the better portable player?
They both look great and the Geek has a bunch of different configs.

I like the fact that the Pono is Ayre designed.  The Geek looks pretty high performing too.  Pono will be first to the market this fall.  I'll get one or the other.

Any favorite so far or thoughts on which will be the better player?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: Geek Wave vs Pono
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jun 2014, 09:29 pm »
I'm on the Pono train, second wave player due in December. I like that it's a one stop shop. Uses the iTunes model without the proprietary nature that Apple perpetuates.

I like the traction gained to this point, and the way it's apparently run. Recently announced it's bringing JRiver on board, I'm there as well, so it looks to integrate well with what I have and am accustomed  to. During the crowd funding they had the foresight to get artists on board, which looks like a good move. Certainly was well funded at onset, which should result in good launch and hopefully healthy life.

I'm rarely an early adopter, but just felt like the timing and product was right.

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jun 2014, 11:19 pm »
Well, neither Ayre or Light Harmonic are slouches as far as designers and manufacturers go. The Geek Wave has a number of interesting customization options. I was an early adoptor of the Wave 32, and am considering getting the IEM optimization package since my IEMs (Shure 846s) are quite sensitive and could really benefit from something targeted at IEMs as opposed to being designed to need to drive bigger, more demanding, higher impedance cans. FWIW.

And the Pono form factor just seems like it would be annoying to use on the go, unlike the Wave.

Nice to have so many choices. There are also the DX90 and X5 DAPs that look quite nice. Word on the street is which is better for a buyer will be a matter of synergy with associated gear and the buyer's musical, aesthetic and interface preferences.

mr_bill

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2014, 03:29 am »
I love the idea of an audiophile portable player that can carry all my flac tracks - without being held hostage by apple ( and this from an iphone user)

bmoura

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2014, 06:01 am »
Well, neither Ayre or Light Harmonic are slouches as far as designers and manufacturers go.

Agreed.  I have the Geek Out 1000 from LH and it works great as a portable DSD and PCM music player.  No need to wait for the others !

Bear

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2014, 12:33 am »
Geek Wave 72 Hour Perks

FYI Geek Wave 72 Hour Perks end tonight(6/9/2014) at midnight pacific time.  IEM optimization or Lower THD for Big Cans.

ebag4

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2014, 12:38 am »
Are the perks free?  It appears the lower THD is an additional $168.

The wording on that is unclear, to me anyway.

Thanks,
Ed

Bear

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2014, 12:41 am »
No they are not free, but due to the labor intensiveness of measuring and hand matching components the options/perks are only available for a limited time.

You can also purchase a "Lightspeed 1G" Micro USB cable at a discount during this perk period as well.

ebag4

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jun 2014, 01:29 am »
Thanks Bear, I guess it wasn't unclear because that is the way I read it.  I was struggling to see what the additional advantage was, as you state, it was discounted prices.

I bought the 32G unit on a whim so I will let it ride.  I am much more interested in receiving my Pulse.

Best,
Ed

Bear

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jun 2014, 01:49 am »
Hey Ed,

I am envious, I was late to the Pulse party.  Let us know how it sounds when you get it.

Be Well
Shane