HX300 Question

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
HX300 Question
« on: 19 Apr 2015, 04:50 pm »
I have the overall dimensions of 7.625" x 10.25" x 3.5" for HX300.

How much room is there on the underside of the plate for mounting?

For example, could I build a box 7.625" x 10.25" x 3.5" and set the amp on top (outside edges of amp flush with outside edges of box) and if so, how thick can the box material be?

If not (or alternately), how much of a ledge does the plate need for secure mounting?

If I use a ledge and want to recess the plate so the top of the plate is flush with the top of the box, how deep should the recess be?

Thanks,

Mike

ebag4

Re: HX300 Question
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2015, 05:07 pm »
This might help Mike (Pulled from the GR Website, http://gr-research.com/hx300.aspx ):

Dimension: (W)195mm x (H) 260mm x (D)100mm.
Cutout Dimension: (W) 167mm x (H) 233mm.

Best,
Ed

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2015, 05:56 pm »
Thanks Ed. Not sure how I missed that. The last time I checked the website only the A370PEQ was listed.

Another question, How do you wire up three of the SW-08-16FR's where the top and bottom driver face forward into the room and the middle driver faces backward towards the front wall?  I have seen the diagram for the two driver Super-V but what about three drivers?

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2015, 09:21 pm »
Mike, it's the same as the diagram but wire the  top one the same as the bottom one.
So,  bottom and top  are   inphase, middle is out of phase.

Just remember to keep the driver coils in parallel, the  servo coils in series....  .   so the terminals of the  center servo coil should go to  the same terminal of the top/bottom  servo  coil (+->+ , - -> -).   Then the unused  terminals of the top/bottom servo coil will go to the  matching   servo leads from the amp keeping  them in phase...The middle  driver coil is  just simply reversed polarity (all driver coils in parallel) .

LOL, hope that made sense

rough, but you get the idea

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2015, 10:21 pm »
Mike, it's the same as the diagram but wire the  top one the same as the bottom one.
So,  bottom and top  are   inphase, middle is out of phase.

Just remember to keep the driver coils in parallel, the  servo coils in series....  .   so the terminals of the  center servo coil should go to  the same terminal of the top/bottom  servo  coil (+->+ , - -> -).   Then the unused  terminals of the top/bottom servo coil will go to the  matching   servo leads from the amp keeping  them in phase...The middle  driver coil is  just simply reversed polarity (all driver coils in parallel) .

LOL, hope that made sense

rough, but you get the idea

jay

Jay,

I'm confused. I thought series was: positive to negative,

+ amp -> + speaker 1, - speaker 1 -> + speaker 2, - speaker 2 -> + speaker 3, - speaker 3 -> - amp

and parallel was positive to positive and negative to negative:

+ amp -> + speaker 1 -> + speaker 2 -> + speaker 3  then

- amp -> - speaker 1 -> - speaker 2 -> - speaker 3

This looks very different from what you drew. This stuff is definitely not my strong suit  :scratch:

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2015, 10:23 pm »
the middle driver (opposite facing) has to be out of phase on both the  driver coil and servo coil.

so as yo wrote it (altered )

series (servo):

+ amp -> + speaker 1, - speaker 1 -> - speaker 2, + speaker 2 -> + speaker 3, - speaker 3 -> - amp  (still in series but middle one out of phase)

and parallel was positive to positive and negative to negative:

+ amp -> + speaker 1 -> - speaker 2 -> + speaker 3  then

- amp -> - speaker 1 -> + speaker 2 -> - speaker 3  (still in parallel but middle out of phase)

jay

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2015, 10:30 pm »
If you are using 3 - 8" woofers in a U frame, they are wired sense coils in series +-+-+- and then all the drive coils are in parallel + to + and - to -.

If they are in an H-Frame, then the center driver facing the rear is wired as Captainhemo posted.

Captainhemo

« Reply #7 on: 19 Apr 2015, 10:36 pm »
I believe it's an H frame  Rich (middle faces backward)  . But yeah, the U-frames  yo udon't reverse the polatiry

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 19 Apr 2015, 10:55 pm »
Jay is correct, it is an H frame with the middle facing backward. Once I drew it out and reversed the positive and negative poles for the middle driver I saw what was confusing me.

I found the pdf of the Super-V wiring schematic and I superimposed a third driver on top. In the modified Super-V drawing the top and bottom drivers are facing backward and the middle driver is facing forward. Mine are going to be just the opposite, top and bottom facing forward and the middle facing back.

Does this mean I need to reverse the polarity from what is shown in the drawing?

Mike

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 19 Apr 2015, 11:01 pm »
For that, the servo wiring will be from top to bottom + - - + + -, with the top + and bottom - wired to the HX300 sense wires.

The drive coil parallel wiring top to bottom will be + - + and - + - wired to the HX300 amp wires.

Captainhemo

« Reply #10 on: 19 Apr 2015, 11:23 pm »

Does this mean I need to reverse the polarity from what is shown in the drawing?

Mike

Nope,  as long as both the servo/sensor coil and driver coil of the middle woofer are  out of phase from  the top /bottom   coils.  Just a litle easier to picture if you keep the top / bottom "correct"    and the middle one  "reversed".

-jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 19 Apr 2015, 11:24 pm »
For that, the servo wiring will be from top to bottom + - - + + -, with the top + and bottom - wired to the HX300 sense wires.

The drive coil parallel wiring top to bottom will be + - + and - + - wired to the HX300 amp wires.

Thanks Rich and Jay. 

Rich,

Just to make sure I understand, in the drive coil parallel circuit, the top + is wired to the HX300 + amp terminal and the bottom - is wired to the HX300 - amp terminal (same as with the servo circuit), correct?

Thanks,

Mike

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 19 Apr 2015, 11:47 pm »
Mike,
The sense coils are used at top + and bottom - wires to the amp sense wires. 

The drive coils since they are in parallel will be wired like this:  +  driver coil 1 -
                                                                                           -   driver coil 2 +
                                                                                           +  driver coil 3 -
From top to bottom. 

The amp + drive wire goes to the + side of the wiring and the amp - drive wire goes to the - side of the wiring.  The drivers facing you are your reference in this case since they are in normal polarity. 

Does that help?

bdp24

« Reply #13 on: 19 Apr 2015, 11:50 pm »
Dang, I shoulda listened to my momma when she told me to finish high school.

Captainhemo

« Reply #14 on: 19 Apr 2015, 11:53 pm »
just like my crude diagrams above  :lol: (assuming  left side is botom)

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 20 Apr 2015, 12:13 am »
I think I have it. The servo sensing circuit would look like this:

and the driver circuit would look like this

Have I got it?

Thanks,

Mike

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #16 on: 20 Apr 2015, 12:13 am »
You think that is tough, wait until I wire the 6x12" servo sub columns!   :D

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #17 on: 20 Apr 2015, 12:14 am »
Mike,
That is correct.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 20 Apr 2015, 12:22 am »
You think that is tough, wait until I wire the 6x12" servo sub columns!   :D

More power to you Rich. An engineer I'm not. It reminds me of those test questions about which direction the last pulley in a line will be turning given a series of gears and belts (with and without twists).  I looked at it this way, after I drop a '55 round into the middle of it, who cares?  :lol:

Thanks everybody for all your help. I start cutting and gluing wood tomorrow.

Mike