Tables

stanwal

Tables
« on: 1 Jan 2014, 08:35 pm »
 After having a lot of tables and even being a dealer for many I have arrived at my final one. It an an old Linn LP12. I got it in the stock version vary cheaply as it had been in the closet of someone who had switched to CD years ago. It was not to me as good as the better VPI tables I had at the time, I had several as I was still one of their dealers [my health does not permit me to do this any longer] After extensive modification it is another beast entirely. But be warned it is a difficult process which I could have never done myself. The Linn modifications are absurdly expensive. I used the Sole sub chassis for example and the Mose Hercules rather than the Linn PS. Also a different top plate. All of these were drastic improvements. BUT if you are not skilled your self or have access to a very good technician I would go another way. The pace and timing that Linn users talk of is exceptional. Not that VPIs or Basis are lacking, there is just something special in the Linn. This is audible to two of my friends both of whom are CD only. I had been using a Basis 2001 which is excellent. The Basis and VPI both offer very high performance with MUCH less trouble than the Linn. The Aries Extended with 12" VPI arm which I formerly had and my friend now has was also excellent but with different strengths. Bass and weight were exceptional, reminiscent of the Ravens two of my friends have. The weight of both of the tables meant that side by side comparisons were impossible. I also have good CD replay, Meridian 200 transport and Metrum Octave DAC, but vinyl is still better to me. But of course opinions will differ: I know some who cannot hear differences between DACs and others who think the Techniques 1200 is the equal of the tables I mentioned. To me it is not as good as the tables they were making decades ago when I was one of their dealers. So go by your own ears; too many ask others to make decisions for them. I guarantee one thing, the more you listen the better your ears will become if you have decent gear. Not necessarily expensive but well matched.

orthobiz

Re: Tables
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jan 2014, 11:56 pm »
Hi Stanwal, welcome to AC!

I am also a "Linnie." I bought mine around 1979, a two year used unit that still had the hole in the base to accommodate the plastic "foot" that held up the dustcover.

I had a Grace 707 that eventually had a broken tonearm cable; I switched it out for a Rega 600 and had it tuned up. My work is done at Overture Audio in Ann Arbor by Thomas O'Keefe, a true craftsman when it comes to making these tables sing. Anyway, I've gone little by little through a bunch of upgrades to the point where the only things left from my original are the top plate and the outer ring!

I also have a modified VPI HW-19 and rather than going into the specific perceived sonic differences, I will say that I love having both. The main use for the VPI is the periphery ring to flatten slightly warped records.

Thanks for posting and stick with us!

Paul

Rocket

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2014, 11:23 am »
Hi,

I do remember listening to linn lp12s way back in the 1980's and the sound was very good.  I could never afford one and the setup was to tricky for me to try one.  Thanks for your post.

Regards Rod

Guy 13

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2014, 12:07 pm »

Hi all Audio Circle members.
From the age of 18 until now, soon to be 66, I have owned several turntables.
For the first one, I do not remember the brand,
but had a 7” platter.
Then a big jump in quality with a Dual 1019 with Ortofon MM cartridge.
I really love that one, was built like a tank.
After that a Technics SL1200 or something likes that.
To me, look and feel cheap.
Then I bought the Linn LP12 with Itok arm (Not sure how to spell the name) I kept it for many years until the belt gave up at the same time as the electronic (PCB) for motor speed control,
I sold it back to the salesmen that sold it to me. Got only 500 USD for it in 2003.
After that I bought temporarily a cheap (175USD) Sony Direct drive fully automatic turntable, I still have it.
Now I have a Rega P3 with a Exact mm cartridge and I am not really happy with it, not that it’s bad sounding, but it’s over priced for the quality, really cheap construction every where.
It’s paid for and I don’t have money to buy my dream turntable which is a VPI Scout.
That’s it and that’s all.

Guy 13 

toocool4

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2014, 12:46 pm »
Hey stanwal I agree with you on one thing, people should always listen for themselves. Only you know what you like, just because someone else likes and rates something highly does not mean yon will.

A couple of my friends have Linn LP12 and one of them has all the latest updates to it. The LP12 is very fussy on setup and if not done properly it will not sound at it’s best. My friend goes as far as to mark the platter for the sweet spot, so he always puts the outer platter on the same location in relationship to the inner platter.

The LP12 was good in the 70’s but it just does not cut it anymore and it certainly not worth the money Linn wants for it now. Many alternatives do a better job these days for far less money.

BobM

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2014, 02:11 pm »
These days with the convenience of digital music (click and play for the most part) I think more people favor convenience over anything else, even vinyl junkies in this hobby. Linn's require so much on-going maintenance that they are fighting an uphill battle. They just "fall out of tune" in time.

Sure, VPI's, Basis and most any other table require initial set-up (which can be tricky) but then you never need to tough them again except for yearly cleaning and lubing of the bearing. Just something to keep in mind.

toocool4

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2014, 03:33 pm »
Hi BobM i think you will find with vinyl junkies such as myself, convenience has nothing to do with it.
I like to play my vinyls and having to change records is not a problem. The only things I will not play are 7” singles, by the time you have put it on and sat down it’s time to change it again.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7 on: 2 Jan 2014, 04:05 pm »
Linn bashing has been a favorite pastime of many people, for years.  The usual participants are those owning/selling other tables and those who don't know what they're talking about.  Because Linn was the table that changed people's perception of the importance of the table itself, for a long time they were the "one to beat". 

I owned an LP12 in the mid '80s, but I was also a Linn set-up man, so I knew the procedures to get it to sing.  Any table with a suspension requires precise set-up or you're better off with a non-suspended deck.  There may be a suspended table today, that needs no tuning or maintenance, but that's not the nature of springs (it's BS) and such a deck is usually flawed in its design.   That's my opinion and I doubt if anyone can change it.  This could develop into a discussion of suspension types and implications, but this is about Linn.

I find myself defending Linn, a role I'm not used to, because of previous comments.  Properly set-up, or an old one modified, the LP12 can sound very good.  I'm not saying the best ever, but have you seen the prices today?  This looks competitive to me:
http://www.pearlaudiovideo.com/products/analog/analog-turntables/linn-majik-lp12/

Even if you think some other table offers a better value or performance, it shouldn't be expressed by distorting reality, IMO.  My LP12 sounded great and I only got rid of it for a Goldmund.   Just trying to offer some perspective.
neo