SACD's going bad?

Ispeedonthe405

SACD's going bad?
« on: 15 Apr 2014, 09:08 pm »
(again, did a search, nothing definitive turning up).

One of the things that has me now dying to back all my SACD's up is I purchased what I think is my first defective SACD.  I purchased John Mayer's "Heavier Things" (more for my wife who's in love with the guy) multichannel SACD.  On  both my Sony S380 Blu-Ray players, and an Oppo unit the disc will not play or be recognized.  I get the "Invalid disc" on all of them, and this even goes for the redbook layer. 

The only player it will play on, and redbook only, is a portable USB Blu-Ray drive hooked up to my Mac.  Of course, I bought it for the SACD version, and am wondering if there's some discs have "disc rot" (and former laserdisc owners will know this) with some titles.  I remember finding an article years ago on the 'net (can't find it now - how convenient!) that hybrid SACDs were more prone to the SACD layer not being recognized.

I did a search for 'defective' and 'rot' and 'bad SACD' on the forum to no avail (although bad SACD turned up a lot of articles highlighting just one and not both words).

Anyone else experiencing this?

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: SACD's going bad?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2014, 01:38 pm »
I have not; laser discs had them because of how they were manufactured..which is quite different than cds or SACDs.  I think you bought a non-SACD (mislabeled).

Brad

« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2014, 01:48 pm »
Purchase John Mayer at your own risk..... :roll:

Was this working at one time and stopped working?   If not, sounds like you just got a bad disc - return it.

Ispeedonthe405

« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2014, 06:59 pm »
I have not; laser discs had them because of how they were manufactured..which is quite different than cds or SACDs.  I think you bought a non-SACD (mislabeled).

I don't think it's mislabeled as out of 4 players, only one recognized even the redbook layer rest didn't.  If it was mislabeled I don't think I'd get an invalid disc error, which tells me that the players where I set SACD as the primary layer to playback is getting an error.

O'well, one out of 50 ain't bad.

Don_S

« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2014, 12:14 am »
I have a couple of CDs that are starting to act that way.  Some machines will play them and others will not.  That was not the case when I bought them too many years ago to want to recall.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2014, 12:46 am »
Amazingly enough, I haven't experienced any problems with CDs failing - had a couple that were bad from the get-go (one in the the late '80s and another one last year). Even the first one I purchased 31 years ago, which I subjected to intentional poor handling (dropping it on the floor, etc), plays and ripped flawlessly (dbpoweramp - no retries). I have most of the first couple hundred that were manufactured in Germany (lived there at the time). Heck, even my Philips CD100 still works (as long as it's not on a flat surface (well, that was true a few years ago when I last dug it out of the closet)) - as does the demo CD that came with it.

So far, I haven't noticed the first problem with an SACD, although my first real SACD player (Marantz SA8260) did go south. Marantz repaired it though, and it's been flawless since.

Ispeedonthe405

« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2014, 05:01 pm »
Surprisingly I've had a couple of DVD's go bad (Kentucky Fried Movie - original issue, great for 5 years then one day no player would recgonize the disc) so I guess I'm just a bit unlucky. 

But good to know that this appears to be a rarity and not more common.
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2014, 09:32 pm by Ispeedonthe405 »

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #7 on: 18 Apr 2014, 05:02 pm »
Surprisingly I've had a couple of DVD's go bad (Kentucky Fried Chicken - original issue, great for 5 years then one day no player would recgonize the disc) so I guess I'm just a bit unlucky. 

But good to know that this appears to be a rarity and not more common.

Kentucky Fried Movie I think you mean.  :)

Yes, SACD rot is currently not an issue.

mattsf

« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr 2014, 06:58 pm »
Yes, I've had this happen. My SACD of Duke Ellington Blues in Orbit started to go bad. The degradation is visible on the disk - it looks like one of the layers of the disk is delaminating or something like that.

Ispeedonthe405

« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2014, 09:33 pm »
Kentucky Fried Movie I think you mean.  :)

Yes, SACD rot is currently not an issue.

(don't know what I was thinking when I put chicken vs. movie)