MAG-ACI Sapphire XL2

Mike Dzurko

MAG-ACI Sapphire XL2
« on: 19 Nov 2010, 12:48 pm »
ACI- MAG XL2

For a number of years, the ACI Sapphire XL set the bar for value and performance in the category of under $2000 pair speakers. Nine rave reviews, a yearly favorite at RMAF, and a legion of ecstatic owners. Unfortunately, the story seemed to be fading with the closing of ACI in 2009. 
Now, former ACI President, Mike Dzurko has teamed up with long-time audio buddy Mark Sayer of Meniscus Audio Group, Inc. MAG is bringing to market the newest and best Sapphire ever, the XL2. MAG is starting with the same core design including the legendary ScanSpeak drivers and the dead accurate XL crossover. MAG, with design input from Mike Dzurko is making three significant improvements with the release of the Sapphire XL2:

1. Sapphire XL2s are now built in the USA! U.S. built cabinet and U.S. assembly assure the highest levels of quality control.
2. New, sleeker cabinet design improves aesthetics while advancing sonic realism to an even higher level with additional mass loading and constrained layer construction.
3. With the XL2 you have the opportunity to customize to your particular taste. Countless veneer, paint, and finish options. Want us to use your own custom internal wiring? No problem. Do you have a particular type of binding post you want on your special set of XL2s? Yes, we can do that. Have us build your XL2s, just right for you.

Go to: audioc.com for all the details.

« Last Edit: 28 Dec 2010, 08:52 pm by Mike Dzurko »

TomS

Re: MAG-ACI Sapphire XL2
« Reply #1 on: 19 Nov 2010, 12:59 pm »
Awesome news Mike!  These are one of my favorite small speakers of all time and it sounds like they're even getting better.  Very best of luck to MAG with them going forward. 

Tom

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov 2010, 01:00 pm »
 :thumb:

Great to hear this Mike.  Now maybe Sue will let me off the hook for not buying a pair for her!  Can't wait to hear the new ones. 

Congrats and good luck on your new venture.

Bryan

Charles Xavier

« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2010, 01:02 pm »

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2010, 01:39 pm »
Quote from: yours truly
You are collaborating with another good guy to make great speakers at low price.

Am I right or what?  8)  But then, I learned English from the horoscope writers.  :lol:

Congrats and good luck.  :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 19 Nov 2010, 03:09 pm »
Hey, I bet that I'm still right, that Mike isn't pregnant.   :green:

jparkhur

« Reply #6 on: 19 Nov 2010, 03:16 pm »
Gosh,  I hope i can get them in cherry to match my maestro xl.......  .........

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #7 on: 19 Nov 2010, 09:23 pm »
Woodsyi, I'd like to to start predicting stocks for me . . .

Thank God that I'm not pregnant . . .

Jon, cherry is one of the planned "stock" finishes, we might need to add a bit of stain to match your Maestro XL, we can do that.

Ryan45872

« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2010, 09:31 pm »
Woodsyi, I'd like to to start predicting stocks for me . . .

Thank God that I'm not pregnant . . .

Jon, cherry is one of the planned "stock" finishes, we might need to add a bit of stain to match your Maestro XL, we can do that.

Hi Mike,
WELCOME BACK!

Do you plan on bringing any new subs to the table? Please :green: :green:.

Ryan

ajayrav

« Reply #9 on: 19 Nov 2010, 09:41 pm »
So is this going to be the same as the XL2 that was introduced around 2009 and sold as pre-production models?  In other words, they sound identical to the XLs, but look different.

This is great news indeed!  The XLs are too good not to be made.....

Cheers,
Ajay

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #10 on: 19 Nov 2010, 10:01 pm »
Hi Mike,
WELCOME BACK!

Do you plan on bringing any new subs to the table? Please :green: :green:.

Ryan

Hi Ryan, subs have been discussed. At this point, I'd say they are likely, but we won't be spending much time looking at them until we're fully up to speed with production of the Sapphires. 

Ryan45872

« Reply #11 on: 19 Nov 2010, 10:09 pm »
Hi Ryan, subs have been discussed. At this point, I'd say they are likely, but we won't be spending much time looking at them until we're fully up to speed with production of the Sapphires.

Thats great news! I have to hear those mag-ACI Sapphires sometime soon.
Thanks,
Ryan

« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2010, 09:32 pm by Ryan45872 »

starkiller

« Reply #12 on: 20 Nov 2010, 03:44 am »
Any teases on the price?  higher then.....but lower then..... :green:

Zero

« Reply #13 on: 20 Nov 2010, 03:59 am »
Hey Mike,

It's good to see ya posting again old man!  :lol:

I kid, of course. :) 

That is some good news.  :thumb: I fondly recall the time that I got to spend with the Sapphire XL's. It's hard to believe that was four years ago. The funny thing is that despite going through literally around a hundred products since then, I still regard the XL's as one of the better all-around compact bookshelf speakers in their class. It's good to know that people will have access to them once again, en' new and improved form no less!  :drool:

Cheers to great music, and the great gear that plays it!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #14 on: 20 Nov 2010, 06:54 am »
A new product announcement isn't an offical announcement w/o pictures Mike.

Neverless, it's good to have ya back Mike.  :beer:

Cheers,
Robin

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #15 on: 20 Nov 2010, 10:06 pm »
Any teases on the price?  higher then.....but lower then..... :green:

We're pricing them about where the XLs were at. We're doing this even though we've made some improvements, will offer additional finish choices, AND are building them here in the U.S.   
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2010, 01:03 pm by Mike Dzurko »

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #16 on: 20 Nov 2010, 10:11 pm »
So is this going to be the same as the XL2 that was introduced around 2009 and sold as pre-production models?  In other words, they sound identical to the XLs, but look different.

This is great news indeed!  The XLs are too good not to be made.....

Cheers,
Ajay

Ajay:
These are similar to the ones you are talking about, but not identical. And we've made a few upgrades that we think add up. Magnetic grill fasteners (invisible), and most importantly the improved internal constrained layer dampening. These babies sound almost identical, but with a bit more resolution, particularly in the midrange. Some folks would do the usual "these are a HUGE improvement". I'll just say I believe the improvement is subtle, but worthwhile.

TONEPUB

« Reply #17 on: 20 Nov 2010, 11:23 pm »
Sounds good, congrats!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #18 on: 20 Nov 2010, 11:32 pm »

Cheers,
Robin