How much are the 5362 cryo'd outlets?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: Pass & Seymour outlet
« Reply #1 on: 5 Aug 2014, 03:36 am »
Here you go:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=102422.msg1038077#msg1038077

Pass & Seymour 5362A Extra Heavy Duty 20R receptacles (.036" triple wipe) Various Colors       $30.00 ea

Shipping for one to four is $5.00

Dave

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 5 Aug 2014, 04:18 am »
I can vouch that they make a very real difference in sound.  Better bass and more detail in general compared to the $.99 ones used by a general contractor.

monte

« Reply #3 on: 5 Aug 2014, 11:24 am »
Thanks for the answers. Talking with Triode Pete at the capital audiofest he told me to look for spec grade outlets. What is the difference between the two?

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #4 on: 5 Aug 2014, 12:09 pm »
The quick answer is that at the electrical supply store, the $0.99 receptacles are on the bottom shelf and the spec grade receptacles are on the top shelf.
The spec grade is similar to the hospital grade with two exceptions. a] the hospital grade contacts have special plating to resist corrosion from all the wet washing. b] hospital grade have lots of costly added documentation.

Note that in fact these are receptacles not outlets.  The outlet is the wall box in which the receptacles are mounted.  But one major manufacture is trying to change that!  Their receptacle package does not have the word 'receptacle' on it.

srb

« Reply #5 on: 5 Aug 2014, 03:11 pm »
In the Pass & Seymour line, both the Spec and Hospital grade line contacts use higher performance 688 brass vs. the Contractor grade 260 brass.

The Hospital grade line contacts are .040" vs. the Spec grade .036" for even higher plug retention for critical medical equipment.

Steve

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #6 on: 5 Aug 2014, 03:16 pm »
Nice detective work Steve.
How do you ever find good info like that?

I missed pointing out that Hospital grade also use a different plastic in the shell.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 5 Aug 2014, 03:25 pm »
Yeah, "receptacle" is only used by electricians these days, seems like everyone calls them outlets, which is not correct.

Another point with receptacles is to avoid nickle plating, there are so many different models and variations of "hospital grade".... I go with MRI-rated receptacles as they have no magnetic parts or platings for obvious reasons...

There are a lot of differences between the hospital grade receptacles vs a $.99 one.... the construction is completely different with the hospital grade receptacle being far heavier duty and more durable, they also have quite a bit more grip on the male plug as well.

While these kind of receptacles are a good value for the money, they are not as good as the Furutech FPX and GTX receptacles that use phosphor bronze or pure copper respectively, but the Furutech receptacles do cost a lot more.

srb

« Reply #8 on: 5 Aug 2014, 03:30 pm »
Nice detective work Steve.
How do you ever find good info like that?

Those specs are not under the Specifications section on each product webpage, but are available on a Cutsheet PDF linked at the very bottom of each page under the Resources heading.

My info is not entirely correct as to the line contact thickness for each grade, as I subsequently looked at another Hospital grade receptacle (PS8300) that only had .032" contacts, thinner than the .036" on the Spec grade 5362!

Boy there are a lot of different models!

Steve

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 5 Aug 2014, 03:48 pm »
Here's a few pics of a "spec grade" vs a MRI hospital grade receptacle I have around. Lots of differences, especially in the mechanism that holds the wiring for line and neutral and the amount of force required to insert and remove the male plug from the receptacle.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #10 on: 6 Aug 2014, 02:50 am »
There is a lot of confusion of what "Specification Grade" means.  There are several "Spec Grades in commercial, industrial and medical receptacles from Pass & Seymour.  I chose Commercial Spec Grade for my standard receptacle as it was a cut above low cost install receptacles that normally go into homes these days.

I offer the P&S 5362A Extras Heavy Duty Specification grade with .036" of the higher performance 688 brass instead of the 260 cartridge brass mentioned above.  Sounds way better... well, not like huge or anything, but better... than the standard brass.  8.5% more copper...  They also use a #10 fixing screw of some very soft brass alloy.  I have no idea as to what it is, but care must be taken to keep from stripping those suckers.

The Hospital Spec Grade are typically nickel plated to deal with oxygen atmospheres better than brass.  That is part of the thickness increase.  I just don't like the "sound" of nickel.  Like rhodium on steroids... at least in my systems over the years.

Furutech is b far the best receptacle/plug manufacturer that I have come upon over the years.  Never like Oyaide from a construction or sound POV.  Furutech just seems to get it right... depending upon the system.  Their different materials certainly sound different.  I would never say one is better than the other.  Too many variable.

Let's face it folks.  We shy away from the mid-fi (are you watching, AJ  :lol: ) gear with every control possible to do the same thing passively with our cabling, beit interconnect, power or whatever.  Receptacles are in the same arena.  We must determine what our "Ultimate System" will be and choose wisely going forward.  I am a music lover first / gearhead second... on a budget.  I have to choose wisely.

I'll be happy to discuss what I have heard in auditioning all of the parts and pieces that I have over the last few years in constant development of my gear.  All of the engineers can put their sliderules away, I will be talking in the subjective realm, not "measurement hell".  I just care how things sound in a total presentation.  I am opinionated as well as educated.  All of this after being a complete objectivist in the past.

Beware.   8)

Later,

Dave

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #11 on: 6 Aug 2014, 11:44 am »
Talk about confusion of what "Specification Grade" means.
I found this post on a electrician's forum some time ago.

RECEPTACLE GRADES

I believe it's;
1.) Heavy Duty Industrial Spec Grade
2.) Industrial Spec Grade
3.) Spec Grade Commercial

And then Hospital Grade is kinda by itself due to grip tightness, probable equal to spec grade commercial.
----------------
Some brands have a "specification" grade. For others, look for "commercial" or "industrial"

monte

« Reply #12 on: 6 Aug 2014, 12:32 pm »
Dave, are these 20 amp recepticles? Would it be okay to change from a 15 amp recepticle.?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #13 on: 6 Aug 2014, 12:58 pm »
  Yes you can use the 20A in lieu of 15A. I prefer the 5362A myself from the wall to Uber. We u the addition of cryo treatment [ deep helium ] a quieter background with more information heard.
    Recently a cryo treated all copper recept. crossed my path. Since we use power cords with all copper plugs it made sense to try similar metals non plated and to my surprise a more natural presentation. Not a big fan of plating. They all have a sonic signature.

charles

monte

« Reply #14 on: 6 Aug 2014, 01:42 pm »
Rollo, nice meeting u at Capitol audio fest.You definitely turned me on to the uberbuss.
Paul

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #15 on: 6 Aug 2014, 03:35 pm »
Dave, are these 20 amp recepticles? Would it be okay to change from a 15 amp recepticle.?
Like Charles said.  I only use 20A receptacles.

One other feature of the P&S 5362A is the all brass construction.. Almost.  The 2 fixing pins that hold it together are steel.  They can be removed and brass or 304 or 316 stainless steel screws substituted for those that are adamant about the eddy current thing.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #16 on: 6 Aug 2014, 03:42 pm »
Talk about confusion of what "Specification Grade" means.
I found this post on a electrician's forum some time ago.

RECEPTACLE GRADES

I believe it's;
1.) Heavy Duty Industrial Spec Grade
2.) Industrial Spec Grade
3.) Spec Grade Commercial

And then Hospital Grade is kinda by itself due to grip tightness, probable equal to spec grade commercial.
----------------
Some brands have a "specification" grade. For others, look for "commercial" or "industrial"

Yeah, it's hard to know the players sometimes.  It would be good if all manufacturers would list alloys and dimensional specs for geeks like audio guys :)

BobM

« Reply #17 on: 6 Aug 2014, 07:09 pm »
Hospital grade is really all about the ground pin. Because of the presence of oxygen in hospitals, any spark that could be created when removing an AC plug could be dangerous. Therefore on a hospital grade outlet the ground pin is the last thing making contact as a plug is removed (the + and - tines disconnect first). Of course they are also much beefier than regular outlets, resulting in a tighter grip and a more durable construction.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #18 on: 6 Aug 2014, 07:45 pm »
Remember that you can only use 20 Amp receptacles in 20 Amp circuits.
With a 15 Amp circuit, that's a no-no.
But internally a 15 Amp and a 20 Amp receptacle are the same thing.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #19 on: 6 Aug 2014, 08:27 pm »
Remember that you can only use 20 Amp receptacles in 20 Amp circuits.
With a 15 Amp circuit, that's a no-no.
But internally a 15 Amp and a 20 Amp receptacle are the same thing.

Yup... but you can use 15A receptacles on a 20A circuit, there just needs to be more than one. If there is only one receptacle it needs to be 20A.

I find it easier to just use 15A receptacles. It's pretty rare (if ever) you run into components with a 20A plug that requires a 20A circuit. It's not really a safety issue anyway, just keeps 15A breakers from tripping.