MiniBuss Mini Review

Captainhemo

MiniBuss Mini Review
« on: 7 Apr 2014, 03:36 am »
Hi all, just thought I’d jot down a few impressions on my recent purchase of one of Dave’s MiniBusses.

Some time ago I spoke with Dave about possibly having him build me a MiniBuss.  I had been  using  a “conditioner” I got from Costco that I was not overly impressed with and I still had   a bit of time remaining  to return it
After a little discussion , Dave said he’d  get to work and have it out to me shortly.

A few weeks later  with a couple days to spare before the return deadline for the Costco unit  the MiniBuss arrived.  I was hoping to hear some differences/improvement right away but had no idea things would b so evident.

After only a couple of hours I had to send a buddy the following brief message…
“I have had it hooked up for a couple of hours and although Dave says it may take some time for proper bur-in I am totally impressed already.  The difference it makes is not just audible, it is dramatic..  Not just in one area either,  it is   everything. First off, big difference in dynamics and bass,  wow.  I thought I had good clean bass before, not really even comparable Everything seems more defined, detailed and punchier. 
There seems to be a much larger dynamic range right through the frequency range and definitely  more separation between everything.  I am   actually pretty shocked at what I am hearing so far.
There is absolutely no comparison in what this has done   compared to what the Costco unit was doing.  Did I mention I am quite shocked ? “

Now I’ve had the Mini in my system for a few weeks and am still equally pleased.  What I’ve determined is happening with  the overall dynamics is that the Mini has  dropped the noise floor signifigantly, so much  that it has created this  broader range of dynamics.  Plain and simple, I am just hearing more because more is being revealed due to this lower noise floor.  I was missing an awful lot.   There was obviously a lot of noise that I didn’t even realize was there, but now that it is gone, wow, what a difference.   I’d imagine that this is also a big part of the increased air and separation I’m hearing too.  Different instruments just seem to have so much more definition  and claritynow.  I'm really amazed at how  quieting the back ground can bring out so much  more in the music although I guess when you stop and think about it , it makes a lot of sense.  Although I wouldn't say   the bass is  any deeper,  it is  tighter which has again increased the amount of detail that is heard.  The overall theme here is  everything seems more defined and clearer without  there being any hint of harshness  added,  it really is  wonderful :)

I also have my plasma TV plugged into the Mini (unfortunately the room has to serve more than one purpose and isn’t just a dedicated listening room) .  The difference here I’m noticing is again in the sound.  If I am watching TV late at night with the volume very low , dialog is so much easier to understand  compared to how it was before. It all seems clearer and less muffled. Pretty cool little bonus that I hadn’t really even considered.

As I told Dave,  I really feel this has been the best value in audio I think I’ve ever purchased, I can’t really think of anything that has offered more bang for the buck.   It is really one of those things you really don’t know you need until you have it, but  once you do have it,  wow, it makes you wonder how you lived without it.

You've got a great product  Dave, I highly recommend it to anyone  looking for a VERY cost effective  power conditioner or power distribution product   :thumb: :thumb:

-jay

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: MiniBuss Mini Review
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2014, 05:26 pm »
Thanks for the great review, Jay.  I try to spread the audio gospel at every product level: silence is golden.

The 5362A Pass & Seymour receptacles are really something in the grip department, huh?  They do sound great.  That receptacle is part of what makes the MiniBUSS punchy and articulate, especially in the meat of the music.

Dave

jparkhur

« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2014, 06:36 pm »
Do you have pictures to share of this minibuss.   Thanks.  Everything you have said is true of the items coming out of New Mexico and the Dave Factory.. :)

Captainhemo

« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2014, 11:10 pm »
Thanks for the great review, Jay.  I try to spread the audio gospel at every product level: silence is golden.

The 5362A Pass & Seymour receptacles are really something in the grip department, huh?  They do sound great.  That receptacle is part of what makes the MiniBUSS punchy and articulate, especially in the meat of the music.

Dave

No worries man, the least I could do, it is a great product. 
Yes, the Pass & Seymour 5362A's really do  grip,  you really have to  push the  plugs in.  I will  be ordering another receiptacle for my  wall as we discussed one of these days soon.

John,   I'll  snap a couple pics sometime this eve and post em  here.

-jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #4 on: 8 Apr 2014, 05:03 am »
Here are a couple  shots of the MiniBuss, sorry the 2 of the ends are blurred, not sure what happened, operator error  :duh:

MiniBuss with 4 outlets

Furutech Rhodium  Plated IEC inlet

Ground lift switch disables ground on lower right  receptacle

All plugged in .  Need to shorten that Pangea AC9 that's all looped around ... it's on the "to do" list

-jay

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 8 Apr 2014, 05:07 am »
Nice! You may want to explore some of Dave's or Pete's (Triode Wire Labs) power cables at some point. They are absolutely incredible.

Captainhemo

« Reply #6 on: 8 Apr 2014, 05:34 am »
Nice! You may want to explore some of Dave's or Pete's (Triode Wire Labs) power cables at some point. They are absolutely incredible.

On the list my man  !   Dam list is   just getting longer though, never seems to get any shroter  :scratch: 
 At least the cables only need be a couple feet in length each but still a big expense.

-jay

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #7 on: 8 Apr 2014, 07:26 am »
Jay,

Thank you for the review. I took the plunge recently and ordered the UberBUSS from Dave. I'm sure it will arrive any day now.....[whistling heard in distance/innocent look in poster's eyes].

Okay......I'm soooooo ready for it.  :drool:

Don't worry, Dave. I know you're working on it. I just need to be patient.  :lol:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: 8 Apr 2014, 03:57 pm »
Jay,

Thank you for the review. I took the plunge recently and ordered the UberBUSS from Dave. I'm sure it will arrive any day now.....[whistling heard in distance/innocent look in poster's eyes].

Don't worry, Dave. I know you're working on it. I just need to be patient.  :lol:
No worries, it and a couple of others are in final testing... specifically the over-volatge test @ 360VAC.  Out in a couple of days.

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #9 on: 8 Apr 2014, 04:02 pm »
As you all can see the standard MiniBUSS is a starting point.  Jay's was customized for his application.  This is especially true for the choice of the rhodium inlet and the ground lift switch for one of the receptacles.

Like Jay said, I know of no bigger bang for the buck in the context of power filtration than the MiniBUSS.

Jason: again, thanks for the name  :thumb:

Dave

santacore

« Reply #10 on: 8 Apr 2014, 04:21 pm »
Dave,

Can a Mini be plugged into a Majik? I could use a few more outlets and the vertical orientation of the plugs would be a plus. I'm really like the MajikBuss in my system.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #11 on: 8 Apr 2014, 05:23 pm »
Dave,

Can a Mini be plugged into a Majik? I could use a few more outlets and the vertical orientation of the plugs would be a plus. I'm really like the MajikBuss in my system.
Absolutely.  This is one power extension that actually improves the sound quality.   :thumb:

Dave

ZLS

« Reply #12 on: 8 Apr 2014, 05:28 pm »
    Dave,

What Power Cord would you use with the MiniBuss to plug into an UberBuss?

Is it possible to configure a MiniBus so that it plugs directly into an UberBuss?

Thanks

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #13 on: 8 Apr 2014, 06:13 pm »
    Dave,

What Power Cord would you use with the MiniBuss to plug into an UberBuss?

Is it possible to configure a MiniBus so that it plugs directly into an UberBuss?

Thanks
Zack, not a problem with an umbilical.  I normally terminate with a Wattgate IEC connector and it is 10ga, 12" - 18" is length.  A $50.00 option.  As usual the MiniBUSS is available in all kinds of configurations... just ask.

Dave

Captainhemo

« Reply #14 on: 8 Apr 2014, 06:52 pm »
Jay,

Like I mentioned above,  I was glad to write something  up . I think it is  important for people to know  hat products like Dave's  can  make such a signifigant  difference in a system. I had expected some improvement, but nothing to this extent. 
Obciously  each case is going to be different depending on the  conditions a person is currently dealing with.  That being said,  I had no idea tha the amount of noise the mini has removed  was even present to begin with, similar  to the saying  "  You don't mniss it until it's gone"  . In this case,  you'll be glad it's gone   :thumb:   Silence is  golden  .

From what Dave told me  about the Uberbuss,  you  are going to be in for a real  treat. Let us know how it works for you  after you've got a bit of time on it,  enjoy !!

-jay 

gregcss

« Reply #15 on: 8 Apr 2014, 08:23 pm »
This looks interesting. Perhaps it's time to replace my Belkin PF60 power conditioner. Does the minubuss have any sort of surge protection?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #16 on: 8 Apr 2014, 09:04 pm »
This looks interesting. Perhaps it's time to replace my Belkin PF60 power conditioner. Does the minubuss have any sort of surge protection?
No, it doesn't.  I have another very similar products with onboard very high capacity surge protection called the BUSS-Stop.  It starts at $499.00.

I am, even though I build a "local" device, a firm believer in whole house, i.e. service entrance surge protection.  Might as well save the fridge, stove, computers and TV at the same time.  IMO.

Dave

gax279

« Reply #17 on: 13 Apr 2014, 08:47 pm »
No, it doesn't.  I have another very similar products with onboard very high capacity surge protection called the BUSS-Stop.  It starts at $499.00.

I am, even though I build a "local" device, a firm believer in whole house, i.e. service entrance surge protection.  Might as well save the fridge, stove, computers and TV at the same time.  IMO.

Dave

I'm really happy with my Full Boogie Uber in the basement that replaced a PS Audio AV-5000 last year.  8)

Perhaps it's time to replace the PS Audio Quintet in the family room with a BUSS-Stop.  :D

Dave, should I e-mail you or did you want to work it via PM?

Thanks-
Don

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #18 on: 13 Apr 2014, 09:14 pm »

I'm really happy with my Full Boogie Uber in the basement that replaced a PS Audio AV-5000 last year.  8)

Perhaps it's time to replace the PS Audio Quintet in the family room with a BUSS-Stop.  :D

Dave, should I e-mail you or did you want to work it via PM?

Thanks-
Don
PM sent...

Dave