So many newbies and jr members, yea baby!

PMAT

So many newbies and jr members, yea baby!
« on: 10 Jul 2013, 11:46 pm »
I have noticed a lot of newer faces on A/C. New energy and new thoughts everywhere. Welcome to everyone. We have lost some really good people in the last year to the big void. It feels good to have fresh and kindred spirits join in.  :D :D :D :D :D

apollophono

Re: So many newbies and jr members, yea baby!
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2013, 08:33 am »
Thanks PMAT.  I for one don't have any electrical engineering knowledge and it was about 35 years ago
that I soldered my Hafler DH101 and DH220.  Even so there is a place here for just about anybody.
I like the Cheap and Chearful forum as I am just a working stiff and can't afford much over $500 for
any piece.  It's nice reading the "what are you listening to now?" threads as it gives me a chance to
check out new music.  I hope those that haven't joined discover the many places that they can
learn new things and enjoy the camaraderie.   :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2013, 09:26 am »
Yep, 1980 when I assembled my Hafler pre/power amps.  Pre wasn't half bad, but it was (and still is among vintagers) the power amp that was the star of the show.  Unfortunately that was weeks before getting married (funny how women - never men - change with matrimony).  It's been up and down ever since with audio.  Wound down with marriage, started over after divorce.  This time around I've held to my guns and now have a man cave for the main rig, a secondary system of leftovers in the living room, and a modest (low priority) HT system in the family room.  But now I'm mellowing with age and kid college/retirement savings expenses so haven't seriously invested (over $1000) in 10 years.

Yes, its a hoot to have new blood here.   :thumb:

Chuckdog2005

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2013, 09:51 am »
I'm sure there's more than a few like myself.

We're newcomers to the site, but middle aged teenagers returning to a first love.

Since the 70's the technology, look, names, and more have changed, but for me the quest remains the same.

I'm looking and listening for the pieces (that I can afford) that when called upon simply disappear as the stage comes to life in my home.

The small bass drivers and suspect claims made by interconnect and speaker wire marketers were and still are somewhat of a shock.

This is definitely one of those interest/hobbies that's tough to explain to the average Joe.   

dflee

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2013, 02:52 pm »
"This is definitely one of those interest/hobbies that's tough to explain to the average Joe."
And especially the average Jane.

PMAT

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2013, 05:50 pm »
I don't want to change the state of the hobby I just want more people here at AC and it's happening. We lost a great guy recently. The Chair Guy. He was the closest to where I live in Santa Rosa Ca. I picked up some great speakers last week and I thought "who can I invite over." Well, none of my friends would understand, really. So any of you guys nearby?

Captainhemo

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jul 2013, 05:15 am »
I don't want to change the state of the hobby I just want more people here at AC and it's happening. We lost a great guy recently. The Chair Guy. He was the closest to where I live in Santa Rosa Ca. I picked up some great speakers last week and I thought "who can I invite over." Well, none of my friends would understand, really. So any of you guys nearby?

Kind of have the same issue up here  (Kelowna BC Can)  Wish I was closer  by

piperpilot12w

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jul 2013, 07:07 pm »
I've had great difficulty trying to justify this hobby to my Jane.

"This is definitely one of those interest/hobbies that's tough to explain to the average Joe."

North Star

• "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jul 2013, 08:33 pm »
Curious; how that works: Jr. Member - Full Member - Volunteer - Facilitator ... ?

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jul 2013, 09:11 pm »

Very funny and very very true!

North Star

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jul 2013, 11:53 pm »
Just curious; how many female members here at the Circle?

I think I saw one the other day; Elizabeth?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #11 on: 25 Jul 2013, 12:05 am »
There's Vinyl Lady as well.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #12 on: 25 Jul 2013, 12:12 am »
Just curious; how many female members here at the Circle?

I think I saw one the other day; Elizabeth?

Yeah, Liz is a hoot!  You don't have to wonder what she thinks, that's for sure!    :thumb:

North Star

« Reply #13 on: 25 Jul 2013, 04:46 am »
There's Vinyl Lady as well.

What genre of music she likes to spin?

North Star

« Reply #14 on: 25 Jul 2013, 04:47 am »
Yeah, Liz is a hoot!  You don't have to wonder what she thinks, that's for sure!    :thumb:

She's a younger woman isn't she?

PMAT

« Reply #15 on: 25 Jul 2013, 05:27 am »
I've never met, in person, a woman into this hobby. Two months ago my wife's mother expressed a lot of interest in getting good sound and getting back into music. She is bed ridden a lot and I thought it was a perfect way to get her away from the TV Which is on 24/7 in her house. She has a new I-Pad so I put together a truly killer playlist of uncompressed music and bought her some quality headphones. I taught her how to listen to random selection so new music would cycle across her frontal lobe. A couple days later she told me that the sound was astonishing and that she loved it. I was proud of my deed. Two weeks later I visited and the headphones were in a drawer somewhere and  I saw the Bluetooth audio shitbox under her TV.   I asked how the music therapy was going and her reply was "I don't listen anymore because every time the dog walks by the music cuts out."   :o  I mentioned the headphones and she said " I can't hear the TV when I have them on.  :duh: :duh: :duh:

North Star

« Reply #16 on: 25 Jul 2013, 10:51 pm »
----  :green: