Anyone seen the muppets?

ctviggen

Anyone seen the muppets?
« on: 28 Nov 2011, 08:19 pm »
Is it suitable for our 4 year old?  I'd like to take her to her first movie.  It has a PG rating, so I think it's not suitable, but I can't quite figure out what would be PG in a Muppets movie.

decal

Re: Anyone seen the muppets?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2011, 08:43 pm »
Who knows? Language, sexual situations, violence, nudity, not to mention the Bert and Ernie "thing", I could go on and on. Kids are bombarded with this stuff today. No wonder there's so many juvenile delinquents. BTW, I really don't think any PG movie is suitable for 4 year olds but hey, I guess I'm just old fashioned. :duh:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2011, 08:52 pm »
I've heard it's more of a satire aimed at them who grew up on the Muppets, not a risque thing.

But I haven't seen it. :duh:

kingdeezie

« Reply #3 on: 28 Nov 2011, 10:15 pm »
I took my kids to see it the other day, one of them is four.

I didn't think it was inappropriate.

There is some mild violence with people punching each other, but they water it down with goofy noises to make it more funny then malicious.

Of course I have two boys, with one being almost 11. So, he is into Halo, etc, etc, etc. So my four year old is sometimes inadvertently exposed to worse then what I saw on the Muppets.

It was a great movie for what that's worth.  :thumb:

ctviggen

« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2011, 12:43 am »
Who knows? Language, sexual situations, violence, nudity, not to mention the Bert and Ernie "thing", I could go on and on. Kids are bombarded with this stuff today. No wonder there's so many juvenile delinquents. BTW, I really don't think any PG movie is suitable for 4 year olds but hey, I guess I'm just old fashioned. :duh:

Well, I don't think most if not all G rated movies are appropriate for four year olds, but the rating isn't necessarily related to what's really happening in the movie.  For instance, I thought The Lion King was incredibly violent and scary, yet got a G rating.  On the other hand, a PG rating might be because there's a swear word or something like that, and I might approve of the movie.

The problem is there's no way for us to prescreen the movie AND go see it with her.  We don't have that time or babysitter days (or the money to pay a babysitter).  I can always wait until it's at Redbox, but our daughter has been asking to go to a movie. 

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2011, 12:46 am »
The babysitter would be for our one-year-old.

Thank you for the replies.  I've heard the movie is very good.  I was never a "fan" per se of the muppets, but I like the idea that this is supposedly a true throwback to the muppets and without (that many ostensible) computer generated effects.  I like the idea of this and the multifaceted nature of the muppets might make this an ideal first movie for my daughter.

shokunin

« Reply #6 on: 29 Nov 2011, 03:01 am »
I just saw the muppets on sunday while the wife went shopping.  Honestly, I don't know where the PG rating came in at as other than few slapstick punches and someone falling down getting hurt there wasn't anything particular offensive that came to mind.  Possibly the Rap song by Mr. Oil but again, it was more slapstick. 

My 6 and 9 year old daughters were fine.  Both liked the movie.

Neither of them like Lion King due to rather violent and nature of the "circle of life". 

Rclark

« Reply #7 on: 29 Nov 2011, 03:45 am »
  I was never a "fan" per se of the muppets,

You should watch Muppet Treasure Island. That movie is hilarious and really well made.

Cheerwino

« Reply #8 on: 29 Nov 2011, 03:57 am »
I'm a fan of the original Muppet Show and the first movie (not so much the later ones) and liked this newest Muppet movie very much. My wife and I drug our almost 9 year old to see it and he really enjoyed it (despite having no interest going in).

I don't get the PG either. It's not even dark, so I don't think there's anything that might scare a little one. I think it would be fine for a 4-year-old and probably better and more benevolent and less loud, harsh and scary than most stuff aimed at little kids.

Cars and Toy Story 3 are much more violent and scary than the Muppets.

This Muppets looks really good on the big screen, too. Very well done and good, silly fun.  :thumb: