What is the best way to play digitized (high and low rez) music under 10K?

roscoeiii

Drag FLAC files into the PM FLAC window and they show up in iTunes. The listed file type and bitrate aren't accurate, but the files play at the appropriate bitrate of the files.

Free demo will let you try it out for 14 days (or 7 days if you have demoed an earlier version).

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
Drag FLAC files into the PM FLAC window and they show up in iTunes. The listed file type and bitrate aren't accurate, but the files play at the appropriate bitrate of the files.

Free demo will let you try it out for 14 days (or 7 days if you have demoed an earlier version).

Thanks.  I purchased PM 2 years ago but haven't been using it.  I'll upgrade to 1.7 and play with it.

Daedalus Audio

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
first of all, Wayne at Bolder Cable is THE MAN for this.

Squeezebox Touch with Bolder mods  ($600) 

EE DAC with Bolder mods

Bolder digital cable

we used this at RMAF this year and were amazed. several digital aficionados felt it was easily best digital of the show.

thanks,
lou

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
The Bolder modded EE DAC is very very good.  My comments on on the modded tour thread.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
I am educating myself here.  With PM1.7 I don't need to re rip my FLAC files, right?  Moon 750, Weiss 202, dCS DeBussy, Wadia -- I am doing my due diligence.  Ted, where are you commenting on all the DACs that you test?

roscoeiii

I would add the zodiac gold and metric halo lio8 to that list. Both have 30 day trial periods via sweetwater and elsewhere IIRC. Prism orpheus is another that I think you can get a trial of. Ted_b has tried some of these I believe.

oboaudio

Anyone try the PS Audio perfectwave dac and bridge?

I have a PS Audio Perfectwave Dac and Transport and the sound is wonderful.  Absolutely a quite background, bass that is awesome, depth, transients, spaciousness, low level detail and worth the cost.   One never listens to the recording from the disc, but from the solid state memory and the result is stunning (pitch and speed accuracy are "perfect".  It makes normal cd's sound a lot better and when playing Reference Recordings HRx wave files it is so very realistic and the dynamic range fantastic!!!!!     

Mike Nomad

A few people have suggested a Mac Mini. I would go a bit further, and get the Mac Mini Server. The RAM is beefed up, and the cr@ppy slot loading drive is replaced with with a second hard drive. Then you have two 500 GB drives that you can put in external enclosures (having put two SSD in the computer chassis).

roscoeiii

In regard to Mike Nomad's suggestion, note that if you want to import CDs, you would need an external CD/DVD drive.

Mike Nomad

In regard to Mike Nomad's suggestion, note that if you want to import CDs, you would need an external CD/DVD drive.

Thanks for adding that. Currently fighting The Flu, and realize I haven't completed the thought. In going with an external CD/etc. drive, you would be able to shop for a better drive than what Apple put in (Not hard to beat. Plextor immediately comes to mind.), and if that drive goes out, you aren't having to take down the server to get at it.

werd

I had my reservations on the BDP1 before it was released. I didn't like the usb interface scheme it was using. I was determined to use my laptop on battery as the transport. I was pretty chilled by it. I know what you guys are thinking (Bryston fanboy). I can assure you that is not the case when it came to this piece. But I took the thing home (loan)and it really made me realize how important it is to not interface with a computer. You don't want a computer driven system. Thats a big for sure.

My idea on computer audio is finding a good solid transport piece, like a usb converter or dac. I want that piece to be the starting gate on my system, not the computer.  If i am going to buy a usb device or any device that interfaces my system with a computer i want that piece to be the transport essentially. If i hook up a usb converter and i have to start screwing around with usb cables or Harddrives than the usb device is no longer the transport or starting piece the HHD is. Here is a quote from my feedback on the BDP1 hooked up to an omega hard that was powered by a 12 volt adaptor.

This is where James you need to sit down..... What it also did was carry a high pitch glare with it on every note and every beat the song had. It reminded me of 9pin dot matrix printer that i still use at work. Every time the printer hits the paper it emits a high slam printer drone that either gets faster or slower but the pitch is the same. This is what the bdp reminded me of with my Omega HD and crap usb cable to it.

:icon_lol:

What i really like about the bdp1 is it has great drive voltage and if you use it with a good usb stick the bdp has now become the starting gate. With the Omega hd hooked up it stole the starting gate position from the bdp1 and it sucked bad guys..... really really bad. But with the usb stick it was really excellent !!

It also tracked 192khz excellently. I used the 192khz rip of Neil Young's harvest moon and normally i don't like Neil Young's voice but in 192khz it had such a nice musical tone to it. This players plays 192khz files, not just says it does.... it does.

I haven't seen to many computer systems that allow the usb/dac player to become the transport this one does.
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2011, 06:54 am by werd »

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.

I haven't seen to many computer systems that allow the usb/dac player to become the transport this one does.

It's MDP, which is a real promising approach.  Let's keep a very close eye on the Linux MDP Voyager thing.  A version of it in a less-than-$300 box is called Alix.  Nick, an AC member that goes by nyc_paramedic (cuz that''s what he is) is VERY supportive and knowledgeable, communicates well, and is a good linux-to-dummy interpreter.  His Alix/MPD thread is here, and while it's still early and mostly DIY the project is getting much more attention, traction and user-friendly.  They've just introduced a GUI for setup, etc.  anyway, let;s let these guys guinea pig it then let's go for it.   :thumb:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=62364.0

baldrick

Cheap Sony DVD player that can play DVD-V files at 24 bit 96 kHz (there are plenty of models available)
- about $50

Good upsampling DAC with a CS8416 frond end (which can sync up to just about anything up to 24 bit 192 KHz)
I built an "EZ-DAC" for under $200 and it's a kilobuck DAC killer, but there are plenty of upsampling DACs out there for under $1000 like this Benchmark DAC-1:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BEDAC1
- so add $1000

Mac Mini for FLAC, ALAC, AIFF, WAV, OGG, etc content.
- $800

Ipod touch used as a remote for Mac Mini
- $300

Cables
- $100

Total  $2250.  Killer setup.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
I feel like a guy trying to time the market.  There is always something brewing that promises to be better....

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
I feel like a guy trying to time the market.  There is always something brewing that promises to be better....

Which is why you should buy now and just start enjoying.  For the next few years there will always be something better about to be released.  Pick what floats your boat today, enjoy it for a few years and repeat as necessary.

George

baldrick

Yes, true, but it's hard to beat a Mac Mini as a music source / server.  And it is somewhat future proof, unless you see higher bit rates than 24 bits and higher sampling than 192 KHz.

Of course, you could also play DSD files (but not SACDs) on the Mini but it would recode the files to 24 / 96 PCM before outputting them.

Gopher

first of all, Wayne at Bolder Cable is THE MAN for this.

Squeezebox Touch with Bolder mods  ($600) 

EE DAC with Bolder mods

Bolder digital cable

we used this at RMAF this year and were amazed. several digital aficionados felt it was easily best digital of the show.

thanks,
lou

Exactly what I'm using at home but I also have a Bolder modified Elpac for the Touch. 

I just got the Bolder Digital cable to complete the front end yesterday.  Outstanding combination!

woodsyi

• Volunteer
Which is why you should buy now and just start enjoying.  For the next few years there will always be something better about to be released.  Pick what floats your boat today, enjoy it for a few years and repeat as necessary.

George

I know, but doesn't it seem especially volatile right now?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
I know, but doesn't it seem especially volatile right now?

Been this way for the last few years.

Instead of worrying about the fact that things keep getting better and cheaper; I have been enjoying my Modwright TP.  That being said, I will probably make a change sometime this year and sell the Modwright TP.  I will leverage all the great inputs here to help guide me on putting together my short list of candidates.

George

woodsyi

• Volunteer
Great,

You do that and let us know what makes your short list.  I trust your judgment.  I am busy with records of various types at the moment anyway.