no special equipment needed!

ratso

no special equipment needed!
« on: 20 Jun 2009, 01:58 pm »
mmm hmm. so i jumped on the new 'raising sand' 96/24 download at HD tracks because i just loved that cd, and recently discovered my Oppo dvd player (DV970-HD) can support hi-rez. now that i've paid for and downloaded this, i have found that all is not as simple as it seems. perhaps you all can help me out. the issues:
1. the download is in flac, which Oppo does not support.
2. my DAC (ps audio digital link III) can only natively accept 96/24 through it's digital
coax input, so that rules out using my laptop.
3. i have a PS3, but am not sure if it supports either 96/24 or flac.

so i was wondering if anyone has a workaround for this? i would guess the answer lies in converting the flacc to a supported form like dvd-A? any help would be appreciated - i am really curious to hear the difference of hi-rez, but i'm not really going to go out and buy a bunch of new equipment to do it.

ratso

Re: no special equipment needed!
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2009, 02:08 pm »
sorry, being a lazy searcher today. the thread about how to burn downloads pretty much covers this.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2009, 02:20 pm »
sorry, being a lazy searcher today. the thread about how to burn downloads pretty much covers this.

Yes, just replace the words "NIN The Slip" with "Raising Sand"...same deal.  Let us know if you have troubles (but add it to the other thread for all to see).  In fact I made it a sticky thread now.  thx

Moon Doggy

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2009, 03:04 pm »
mmm hmm. so i jumped on the new 'raising sand' 96/24 download at HD tracks because i just loved that cd, and recently discovered my Oppo dvd player (DV970-HD) can support hi-rez. ... i am really curious to hear the difference of hi-rez, but i'm not really going to go out and buy a bunch of new equipment to do it.

The "Raising Sand" album is mastered to sound lo-fi and has a noise track added as one of the means to achieve this goal. Its done quite well. I guess this was done to make it sound like a roots album. The point is that this file may not be the best to judge the sound quality of the  hi rez gear you are setting up.

Regards, James

ratso

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2009, 03:19 pm »
never really thought about it before, dog, but i know kinda what you are talking about. the cd definitely has a very unique sound to it. but it's also really well recorded by a guy that has been a pioneer in the whole 'hi rez' thing - t bone burnett is currently trying to market a whole new hi rez format (the new mellencamp uses it i think).

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2009, 03:24 pm »
Lots are talking about excessive hiss on track 3, I think.  Dunno, check it out.  But yes, I've read the same thing...not a great HiRez poster child....kinda like the start of HD...some of the stars were seen with make-up smeared cuz the picture was so good.

kenreau

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2009, 11:16 pm »
With this being a highrez thread, I hope this is a reasonable question here :scratch:....Has anyone heard the big black cd (aka LP record album) format version of Raising Sand for comparison? 

It would be interesting to find out if the mix is the same or not.  I imagine it is, with the way most mass produced albums are pressed by non-audiophile labels today.

Thanks
Kenreau