LDRX Passive Pre with 4 inputs

bonsai

LDRX Passive Pre with 4 inputs
« on: 19 Jun 2014, 07:54 pm »
Hi,

We spoke the other day regarding a LDX6 passive pre that could have 4 inputs and 2 ouputs (All RCA / Not balanced).  This would have the new LDR3x.V2 board with auto-calibration and replaceable LDR modules. 

I thought I'd post a topic on this as others may have interest in this.

Thanks,
Andy

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: LDRX Passive Pre with 4 inputs
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2014, 09:40 pm »
We spoke the other day regarding a LDX6 passive pre that could have 4 inputs and 2 ouputs (All RCA / Not balanced).  This would have the new LDR3x.V2 board with auto-calibration and replaceable LDR modules. 

Hi Andy,

Glad you posted this since it will hopefully be of wider interest and also help me sort out the issues.

For good or ill, everything around ldr3x.V2 board was based on a 3-input concept including the V2 and the IO3 input relay board. To accommodate more than 3 inputs requires something additional that will have to be thought through.

There are 3 npn mosfet switches on the V2 that energize relays by connecting them to ground and there's no way to add more without redesigning the V2 board. However, the 3 outputs assigned to controlling those mosfets could be repurposed to act as inputs to an external 3-to-8 decoder. With 3 binary control signals you can count up to 8 so via a decoder you could switch up to 8 inputs. This would require a new additional external board with a decoder chip, up to say 6 mosfets for switching 6 input relays, and 2-3 pin headers for connecting both to the V2 board and to 2 IO3 relay boards. This would only need to be a small board that could somehow be piggybacked on one of the IO3 boards. Alternatively, I could do a slight redesign of the IO3 board to make in into IO3+3 where you could have 4, 5 or 6 inputs if you needed more than just 3.

Will give this some further thought.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2014, 01:06 pm »
Something like this might work. Basically it's an Input Multiplexer.

Would allow for up to 6 inputs using 2 IO3 boards. It could hang right off an IO3 board. J1 would connect via ribbon cable back to the V2 board. J2 would connect via ribbon cable to IO3A (inputs 1 thru 3) and J3 would likewise connect to IO3B (inputs 4-6).

I'll look into costs etc. This would make it possible for an updated version of the LDR3 to be customized to be an LDR4, 5 or 6 if that's what someone wanted. For this to work, the updated LDR3 would need to use the same larger enclosure that we have planned for the new LDR3B (balanced) which will be released in July.

bonsai

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2014, 02:03 pm »
I'm interested.  What are the dimensions for this new larger enclosure again?

What price point would this come in at?

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2014, 02:14 pm »
I'm interested.  What are the dimensions for this new larger enclosure again?

What price point would this come in at?

The LDR3B box will probably end up at 12.5" wide by 10" deep by 3.25" tall not including feet which will likely mean 3.75" effective height.

There's quite a bit of extra gear in the balanced design that's not in an unbalanced unit so that size may be bigger than it needs to be for unbalanced. But the new LDR3 will have its own internal switch mode power supply including a toroidal transformer and filtering on the mains input all of which takes up extra space. It will also have dual visual display.

Have not settled on pricing yet but that will be available soon. The current LDR3/6 run for $1195/1295. The new models will be somewhat higher.

bonsai

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2014, 12:44 pm »
When would you take payment to get the build going?  You mentioned your goal of building these in July which is just around the corner.  Not my intent to rush you.... 

I like the sound of the transformer and power supply upgrade. 

On the power supply.  Did you look into any R Core power transformer options?  Just curious if you did or not.  I like those as well.

Looking forward to buying!

Thanks

bonsai

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2014, 03:15 pm »
You mentioned your goal of building these in July.  When would you take payment to get the build going?

I am just not sure if your mentioned idea below which would allow for up to 6 inputs is something you'd build and sell to me or just an idea.  Can you clarify if you have interest in building around your idea below and selling the finished product?

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2014, 06:23 pm »
You mentioned your goal of building these in July.  When would you take payment to get the build going?
I am just not sure if your mentioned idea below which would allow for up to 6 inputs is something you'd build and sell to me or just an idea.  Can you clarify if you have interest in building around your idea below and selling the finished product?

We get sufficient requests for more than 3 inputs that it makes sense for us to pursue this. So yes, I'd like to move ahead with this. The rub is we're now focused on first releasing the LDR3B and the updated LDR3 so getting the LDR4-6 will be third priority. And yes, it will be a finished product.

I'll PM you with the details.

To your prior note, I'm aware of the RCore transformers but have not used or priced them relative to the toroidal units we use which are quite economical. My understanding is the RCores are supposed to be comparable to toroids but less costly.

bonsai

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2014, 10:38 pm »
Excellent!

I got the PM and I'm a buyer

Thanks
Andy

bonsai

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jul 2014, 01:39 pm »
Do you have any photos of a unit in the new chassis?  I see the rendering of what the design will look like but a photo of a unit would be nice. 

Looking forward to my new preamp!!!

Andy

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #10 on: 6 Jul 2014, 07:51 pm »
Do you have any photos of a unit in the new chassis?  I see the rendering of what the design will look like but a photo of a unit would be nice. 

Looking forward to my new preamp!!!

Andy

At the moment all we have are crude prototypes and individual parts. As soon as we have a true production model, we'll get some actual product pics and post them. As is usually the case, that's one of the last things that only gets done once everything finally comes together. We are really looking forward to that day! 

bonsai

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jul 2014, 12:37 am »
No worries

It would be cool to see when you have one done if possible

Looking forward to my preamp!

bonsai

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jul 2014, 11:28 am »
Have you guys put out a true production model yet?  Eager to see the new enclosure