Speaker recommendation : 3.2 HT system for a living room

marrduk24

All,

I am upgrading my existing set-up and want to build a new 3.2 system. Here is the likely list of gear
Electronics: Emotiva XMC1 Pre/Pro paired with ATI/ Outlaw or AVA amp
Subwoofers: Dual Funk Audio 18.0 or JTR S1
Room: 3000 cu.ft. living room

Usage will be about 70% Movies and 30% music.

I want to get a pair of speared for my Left & right and a matching centre channel.

Considering I am planning to get a pair of 18" sealed subwoofers, i wasn't sure what the best Salk speakers for my set-up would be. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Big Red Machine

Re: Speaker recommendation : 3.2 HT system for a living room
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2016, 09:07 pm »
budget?

marrduk24

« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2016, 09:18 pm »
budget?

No budget. One thing that I did wonder was whether I need one of those big floorstanders (SS10, SS12 ) considering I am getting two sealed 18" subs. So if I am crossing over to subs at around 80hz, does that mean I don't need main speakers to go too deep?

jsalk

« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2016, 06:26 pm »
No budget. One thing that I did wonder was whether I need one of those big floorstanders (SS10, SS12 ) considering I am getting two sealed 18" subs. So if I am crossing over to subs at around 80hz, does that mean I don't need main speakers to go too deep?

That is correct.  I would cross over a little lower, but you would not need the SS10 or SS12, that is certain.

- Jim

johzel

« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2016, 07:09 pm »
Considering I am planning to get a pair of 18" sealed subwoofers, i wasn't sure what the best Salk speakers for my set-up would be. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I'm currently awaiting my second pair of Salk speakers, a pair of floorstanders (23% done :) ).  Like many others, I've read a great deal on various Salk forums in helping to come to a decision that matched my budget. But without a doubt, the best information and suggestions came straight from Jim, himself.  As we like to say in these parts, "Never throw the guide out of the boat."   :thumb:

marrduk24

« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2016, 09:40 am »
That is correct.  I would cross over a little lower, but you would not need the SS10 or SS12, that is certain.

- Jim

Jim, what frequency would you recommend to crossover with a pair of these subs? Also what speakers would you recommend in my situation?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2016, 10:54 am »
Room dimensions and photos would help.  Just saying 3,000 cubic feet for instance can translate into a 8 foot by 10 foot by 38 foot space or an acoustically nicer 9 foot by 15 foot by 22 foot space.  Furnishings and finishes make a difference too.  Do you have domestic limitations (family, pets, neighbors, aesthetics)?  Pets can knock over and scratch nice speakers.  Heavy speakers don't move easily for family/party functions.  Blocking a million dollar view with big speakers is another no-no.  A wall of   windows or masonry walls aren't the best thing for sound either.  What layout for speakers/listener(s) do you have in mind?

Why dual 18 inch subwoofers for this space (seems like overkill and a lease breaker).  Is the space open to other spaces?  How loud do you listen?  Are you a bass head?  What are you favorite genres of movies and music? 

With no budget, I'd recommend the absolute killer ATC SCM45A at $6500 USD each.  They are professional active 3-way designs; 42-25,000 Hz; 112 dB max output; 14 inches high, 24 inches wide, and 15 inches deep; drivers built in-house; designed for clarity, accuracy, coherency, and superior horizontal/vertical spread in a mid-field setting; used by the finest studios in the world.  (Apologies the stepping on the Salk Circle, but just giving perspective.)

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 22 Sep 2016, 05:30 pm »
The HT2-TL's parents was the HT2, which was available in a stand mounted sealed design (no port).
https://web.archive.org/web/20101127180221/http://salksound.com/ht2%20-%20home.htm

They didn't go as low as the current HT2-TL's and probably a different efficiency but they may be easier to blend with the two 18" subs than a ported design. The current HT2C (center) is a sealed design, uses the exact same drivers and would match perfectly.

Wayne

smk

• Life's a bummer, then you pay taxes.
« Reply #8 on: 22 Sep 2016, 08:59 pm »
Strongly recommend same manufacturer, if possible.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #9 on: 23 Sep 2016, 01:37 am »
Are you really looking at two Funk 18.0s? Or by "dual", do you mean the 18.3?

The 18.3 is a bad ass subwoofer. Actually made my guts and my vocal cords vibrate. Uncomfortable, but too awesome to stop.  8)

If your looking at two separate 18.0s, you might consider one 18.3, instead. You should reach out to Nathan, tell him your goals, room, that you're thinking Salk Sound, and ask his advice.

Then, call Jim. :thumb:

Have fun,

Jerry

marrduk24

« Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2016, 10:15 pm »
Jerry, looking at two 18.0c. 18.3 is too big, I prefer two medium size subs over one large.

Jim, would you say the right speaker would be one of the following
1. SS 7F
2. Silk Tower
3. Veracity HT2
4. Song 3

Or even maybe Sundscape 7M or Silk Monitors.

We sit about 9ft from TV, watch movies at 5db below reference and music about 10-15 dub below reference. Most of the music is jazz, a lot of acoustic guitar and some classic rock.