Some reference equipment for sale

audioengr

Some reference equipment for sale
« on: 28 Jun 2013, 10:42 pm »
We want to buy the Vapor Audio Nimbus speakers for our reference system, so we need cash.

We have for sale:

1) Modded reference Mark Levinson #38 preamp - $3000 plus shipping - SOLD
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-mark-levinson-38-preamp-professional-reference-modded-2013-06-28-preamplifiers-97759-black-butte-ranc-or

2) Northstar 192 DAC (stock) - $500.00 plus shipping. SOLD

3) Music First Classic all silver Transformer passive linestage, cryo treated - $4500.00 (new custom ordered one is $8K)  Best preamp on the market and rare.

"...the best preamplifier ever made"
David Price - Hi-Fi- World

4) KEF 104/2 highly modified speakers, our reference speakers for about 10 years. Beautiful dark rosewood veneer. - SOLD
Custom wiring and crossover mounted in custom bustle on the back.  Over $2K in crossover upgrade parts alone.  $2K plus shipping in original boxes.

See photos below in other post.

5) Fanfare FT-1A digital FM tuner - XLR outs.  Orig. $1200, sell for $400 plus shipping.

« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2013, 04:44 am by audioengr »

paul79

• Industry Participant
Re: Some reference equipment for sale
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2013, 02:26 am »
The Nimbus must have made quite the impression on you.... Are you going to go with them in stock form?

Good luck with the sales! That's some fine stuff you have listed there.

jhm731

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2013, 06:44 am »
Just a suggestion, it might be helpful to post pictures of the equipment you're selling.

Yes, I can see the ML #38 on Agon, but a picture of its insides showing the mods would be nice.

abernardi

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2013, 07:50 am »
I used to have a pair of those 104/2's.  They were awesome.  Actually, the last KEF speaker I liked.  If I had a place for them, I'd snatch them up!

audioengr

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2013, 08:08 pm »
The Nimbus must have made quite the impression on you.... Are you going to go with them in stock form?

Good luck with the sales! That's some fine stuff you have listed there.

I am wanting the Nimbus White.  It's hard to part with some of this stuff because its so good, but I am using it less and less.  I am also getting the Arte Forma SE tube amps BTW :P

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2013, 08:17 pm »
Just a suggestion, it might be helpful to post pictures of the equipment you're selling.

Yes, I can see the ML #38 on Agon, but a picture of its insides showing the mods would be nice.

I have a top picture of the mods, but the only bottom one I have is the same mods on a ML380 that I did for another customer.  Similar thing though.  I'll try to put them out there.

Lots of Black Gate electrolytics, as well as larger gold ones from Nichicon.  Lots of polystyrenes on the backside.

Here they are:

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2013, 08:25 pm »
I used to have a pair of those 104/2's.  They were awesome.  Actually, the last KEF speaker I liked.  If I had a place for them, I'd snatch them up!

These are way beyond awesome.  Make me an offer I can't refuse. Here is a picture of the bustle with the new crossover components.  Too large to fit inside the cabinet, so I built an external bustle.  These are really nice dark rosewood.

Notice the 8 inch diameter air-core ribbon inductor with paper-in-oil insulation in the crossover hanging on one dowel.  There are others like this in there too. This photo was taken prior to the completion of the crossover mods.  Jensencapacitors.com.  Best inductor made.  Entirely rewired with silver-plated copper solid wire with Teflon insulation twisted-pairs.

$2K is WAAAAY too cheap for these.  Makes me sick :cry:

Steve N.
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2013, 02:28 am by audioengr »

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 2013, 09:59 pm »
I am wanting the Nimbus White.  It's hard to part with some of this stuff because its so good, but I am using it less and less.  I am also getting the Arte Forma SE tube amps BTW :P

Steve N.

Going tubes huh... Welcome to the club! Nice move getting away from solid grate.  :lol:  :wink:

audioengr

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jun 2013, 02:27 am »
Going tubes huh... Welcome to the club! Nice move getting away from solid grate.  :lol:  :wink:

Class-A single driver tubes too :thumb:  40W :o

My modded JC-1 monoblocks are pretty good though.  They sound a lot like these tube amps.

Steve N.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 30 Jun 2013, 03:31 am »
So, when you selling your amps?  :icon_twisted: You don't need backup amps, just backup tubes.  :P

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #10 on: 30 Jun 2013, 03:37 am »
I gotta say, this may be my favorite For Sale listing of all time  :thumb:

We're honored that you choose us to rework your system.  Since your DAC is without a doubt the best I've ever heard, someday I'll upgrade my system with your gear as well. 

Excited isn't a strong enough word to describe how we feel about putting together the Nimbus White.  Addition of a pair of Accuton mids is going to take that speaker completely over the top!

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 30 Jun 2013, 03:48 am »
Sounds like you both have some pretty good trade power.. :scratch:

audioengr

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jun 2013, 04:15 am »
So, when you selling your amps?  :icon_twisted: You don't need backup amps, just backup tubes.  :P

I'll give it some thought after I get the tube amps.

Steve N.

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #13 on: 30 Jun 2013, 12:08 pm »

Steve N.

Pete brought the Arte Formas over to my place last Saturday.  They were very nice.  I've never heard a single ended amp before, but they availed themselves well.

audioengr

« Reply #14 on: 2 Jul 2013, 09:12 pm »
Here are photos of the KEF 104/2s, which are in mint condition, just like new except for one small dent in an edge.  You cannot get rosewood like this anymore. - SOLD

I don't believe there is any speaker on the planet that will beat these for $2K.  The Western Sales Manager for KEF listened to these at CES and told me that they beat the new KEF references.

Insides are pristine:

Dent:

« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2013, 08:09 pm by audioengr »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: 2 Jul 2013, 09:33 pm »
Since your DAC is without a doubt the best I've ever heard, someday I'll upgrade my system with your gear as well. 

:idea:I think this is where bartering comes in.   :scratch:

:wink:
« Last Edit: 2 Jul 2013, 10:40 pm by jtwrace »

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 2 Jul 2013, 10:50 pm »
Well, he likely needs to make room...

Nice speaks Steve

Audioexcels

« Reply #17 on: 10 Jul 2013, 01:42 am »
Looking forward to hearing the new system:):):)  When will it be available for auditioning?

audioengr

« Reply #18 on: 10 Jul 2013, 02:24 am »
Looking forward to hearing the new system:):):)  When will it be available for auditioning?

Depends on when I sell some of this stuff...

Steve N.

Audioexcels

« Reply #19 on: 10 Jul 2013, 04:59 am »
Depends on when I sell some of this stuff...

Steve N.

Time to get those OR6's out and get some OR5's to sell off:):):)  Are you holding onto the big ribbons?