« Reply #40 on: 5 Oct 2015, 10:35 am »
Yep, October will never be the same!!! :cry:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: RMAF 2015 Pez and Tyson Coverage Day 3
« Reply #41 on: 5 Oct 2015, 03:49 pm »
Just filling in the blanks as requested.

Daedalus Audio Ulysses V2 with new 2015 Daedaus drivers
Daedalus DiD isolation devices
Daedalus Audio custom rack

Purity Audio Design 2016 Reference Class A balanced preamp
Purity PSE300B Ultra mono blocs amps

Dynamic Design Titania and Ariel series cables
Annalyric Systems AC8 power conditioner
Annalyric Systems USB-1 USB cable

ModWright Elyse DAC
ModWright PH 150 Tbe phono stage
ModWright "Truth" modified OPPO BDP-105D w/ all tube analog stage

VPI Aries table w/12" 3D arm

NICE JOB on the coverage guys. Wish I was here this year.

rockadanny

« Reply #42 on: 5 Oct 2015, 03:56 pm »
Thanks to both of you!  :thumb:
Terrific coverage and wonderful photos. Felt like I was actually there.
You will be sorely missed.

mg8

• Roll Away the Dew
« Reply #43 on: 5 Oct 2015, 03:58 pm »
Linear Tube Audio

They were awesome paired with the Nimbus!

The Company licensing the David Berning Zotl circuit and making these amazing product is Urban Hifi in Washington DC (Adams Morgan) http://www.urbanhifi.com/#home.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #44 on: 5 Oct 2015, 04:31 pm »
Great job as always guys!  :beer: :notworthy:

Looking forward to any final thoughts, summary, and nominations for "Best of".

mcgsxr

« Reply #45 on: 5 Oct 2015, 04:42 pm »
A great job documenting those rooms you were able to attend, and a nice way to do so.  Splitting the opinions makes for a more interesting read that just one persons perspective.

In reading all of this, I would be afraid to try attending a show and documenting it.  Great job guys.

Guy 13

« Reply #46 on: 5 Oct 2015, 04:48 pm »
Very well done Pez and Tyson.
Thanks.

Guy 13

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #47 on: 5 Oct 2015, 05:00 pm »

Seems my original comments got wiped out during one of the moments of technical difficulties, sorry about that!  Here's my comments for the room:

General - First off, another major set of kudos for a vendor that took the time and effort to put in room treatments, it actually does make a tremendous difference in the sound of the rooms.  We already know the Daedalus speakers are stellar performers, but the Ulysses are pretty big and these rooms are pretty small.  So the real test here is how well the associated gear can make them sound in this room.

Sibelius - Really nice job on the violin here, really gets to the heart of the music and lays that emotion bare.  So far so good!

Mahler - Oh wow, this soundstage is BIG.  I can't believe they are pulling this off in this small of a room.  And when the whole orchestra comes crashing in, the sound just expands without ever turning hard. 

Tom Waits - no bass issues with this song, excellent!  Just like the other, big Daedalus room (the one with the $50k SET 845 Monoblocks) the emotion is raw, naked and awesome.

Natalie Merchant - I think this track is where this system really shines.  It's got boogey, baby! 

Final note - I've heard Daedalus speakers for several years at RMAF and the pattern is always the same - the main, big room is amazing and the smaller rooms are pretty meh.  I always figured you simply couldn't get these rather large speakers to sound good in a small room.  I now realize that it must have been the associated gear.  In prior years the gear just didn't allow the speakers to sound their best, but this year, in this room, the Ulysses sounded awesome and did not overpower the room at all.  If you look at the equipment list, you might note that the main difference is that the Purity gear is used in place of the Modwright SS gear for preamp/amp.  Am I hinting around that the Purity gear sounded better?  No, I am saying it flat out - if you have Daedalus speakers you owe it to yourself to hear them at their best, with tube gear of this quality. 

seadogs1

« Reply #48 on: 5 Oct 2015, 05:51 pm »
Tyson,
Which track and composer for the Mahler #5 and the Sibelius? Thanks and Great Job to you two!

ACHiPo

« Reply #49 on: 5 Oct 2015, 07:38 pm »

Tyson’s Notes  ELAC Audio Room

General Room Notes –  What the hell are we doing in an audio room with small towers and cone dome drivers?  You know we generally are bored by this type of stuff, especially with so much other audio candy to drool over at the show.  But many people we respect (and some we don’t) said we had to make it to this room.  So here we are.  On the other hand, Andrew Jones is a genius speaker designer and his TAD speakers have historically been among the best at show, year after year. 

Music – No option to listen to our CD, so listening to the stock music from their playlist.  OK, so they are very clean and clear.  And not at all irritating.  Very surprising for such a modest looking speaker.  Bass is full and has good kick to it.  The MOST surprising thing is that they sound BIG.  Large soundstage and just energize the whole side of the room they occupy. 

This room has no boom/tizzle sound that you hear so often, even on very expensive gear.  Smooth refinement with a really good level of detail and transparency is what you get.  Only criticism – they are short.  So you look down on the performers a bit.  But if you put them on some pedestals or raise them up a bit you have a speaker without any real weaknesses, at least none that I can hear.  Compared to the very best systems at this show, the bass is a little bit less clean and the highs are a little bit rolled off.  Otherwise I can’t really detect a flaw.

These are only $279 each!  OK, now Andrew is just showing off :O

Jason’s Notes

We went to the Elac room and the speakers were very disappointing at $279,000 each. -Andrew Jones comedian/owner of Elac.

Andrew Jones is at it again and let me just say right now, this setup is substantially better than any 'budget setup' and much better than most high end system. And at ignoring Andrew's tongue in cheek comment actually cost a mere $279 each, are you serious? Is this real?

Let me tell you what I hear, incredible detail, nuance, pace, microdynamics, control, air, attack, and a ton of other audio nerd words that I hate using. And at this price level I'm not used to using. Astounding stuff here.  Let me just say this, this system is way better than most I've heard price be damned.

The bass is incredible! We're listening to a down and dirty bass guitar track and wow. And the imaging / soundstage never lost its coherence.

Rage against the machine time. Killing the the name of. And they killed
Wow look at the Shunyata gear!  The speakers were $279, but the system had $10ks of power conditioning?  Interesting.  Almost reminds me of taking the Linn concept to an extreme--when everything upstream is good, the speakers are less important?

christopher3393

« Reply #50 on: 5 Oct 2015, 07:49 pm »
Thanks to Jason and Tyson. I enjoyed your style as much as your content.

Pez

« Reply #51 on: 5 Oct 2015, 07:57 pm »
Best of show in the works. We will post around 5-6pm MST today!

And to EVERYONE who posted 'thanks' you are all very welcome!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #52 on: 5 Oct 2015, 08:31 pm »
Yes, thank you to everyone that has commented in this thread, it has been an honor and a pleasure.  THANK YOU FOR READING!!

Phil A

« Reply #53 on: 5 Oct 2015, 08:32 pm »
Thank you guys for the usual great job

Geardaddy

« Reply #54 on: 5 Oct 2015, 08:41 pm »

That's David Berning, no other amplifier company has ever copied David's unique designs.

This might be the amp that was playing, a new 10 watter.

http://www.lineartubeaudio.com/zotl-10/

I am intrigued by these amps.  I am a fan of OTL designs (minus the heat and hassle of course).  In the past, the Berning stuff always came off as a tad dry or thin compared to Joule Electra (my historical fav).  I am wondering what these new amps will sound like?  I noticed they are class AB and to class A like the headphone amp.  I am wondering if we can convince linear to do a 845 or 211 class A version???

beowulf

« Reply #55 on: 5 Oct 2015, 09:28 pm »
Hey guys thanks for the great coverage and pictures, really enjoyed reading this thread! :thumb:

I am intrigued by these amps.  I am a fan of OTL designs (minus the heat and hassle of course).  In the past, the Berning stuff always came off as a tad dry or thin compared to Joule Electra (my historical fav).  I am wondering what these new amps will sound like?  I noticed they are class AB and to class A like the headphone amp.  I am wondering if we can convince linear to do a 845 or 211 class A version???

Berning already had/has a design for one: davidberning.com/products/zh_211_845.  They were distributed by www.rbhifi1.com and were only 75K a pair! :lol:

Geardaddy

« Reply #56 on: 5 Oct 2015, 09:56 pm »
Hey guys thanks for the great coverage and pictures, really enjoyed reading this thread! :thumb:

Berning already had/has a design for one: davidberning.com/products/zh_211_845.  They were distributed by www.rbhifi1.com and were only 75K a pair! :lol:

Yes indeed.  That is why I referenced it.  The capacitors are platinum encrusted ruby affairs....

OzarkTom

« Reply #57 on: 5 Oct 2015, 11:04 pm »
Yes indeed.  That is why I referenced it.  The capacitors are platinum encrusted ruby affairs....

Here is a recent review on the ZOTL headphone amp and it is a rave. With 1oodb efficiency speakers or desktop speakers, this might be the perfect integrated. For $1100, that is a great deal. :thumb:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1015/Linear_Tube_Audio_microZOTL_2_Headphone_Amplifier_Review.htm

Norman Tracy

« Reply #58 on: 5 Oct 2015, 11:11 pm »
Some comments on Pez and Tyson Coverage of RMAF 2015 from the perspective of a rabid audiophile in the last chronic stages of the disease where one starts one’s own audio company including exhibiting at past RMAF and LSAF shows. I recently wrote a show report for LSAF 2015 and appreciate how much work these postings and your very good photos are to produce.

Vapor Audio Room

I am loving the picture of Tyson next to Vapor’s Perfect Storm. We have watched Vapor’s evolution on AC and this picture really drives home just how B I G a speaker is going to get when one uses 15” class woofers while also delivering high efficiency and deep bass.

I also find it interesting comparing the photos here (http://www.enjoythemusic.com/RMAF_2015/day2/) and those in P&T’s coverage. Specifically when LaFeaver with enjoythemusic.com dropped by tube mono-blocks were in use and when Pez and Tyson heard the system some of the photos have the tube amps and others show a Jeff Roland Design Group stereo amp in the rack. That is what I love about stepping up to big woofers in big boxes, they work with both tube and solid-state amps. It could be a horses-for-courses thing or we could admit that some of us like different flavors. Jason wrote “Note: we visited this room over two days and they made significant equipment changes FYI”. I would be curious to know if the superlative filled descriptions of the guys’ standard tracks referred to the system with tube or solid-state amps?

JTR Audio Room

Mixed feelings here, positive, negative, and neutral.

On the positive side as a big fan of JRiver’s software who is intrigued with using it with pro-audio multichannel DACs I am very pleased that such good results were obtained with the MOTU 1248 12-channels out 192k DAC in surround sound mode. Personally I am more interested in using it for a tri or quad amped stereo system with DSP crossover but considering the multi-thousand dollar cost of SOTA surround sound pre-amp/processors it makes an interesting $1500 option. And kudos to JTR Audio for the moxie to go surround sound and video (JVC projector? SWEET!) in an ocean of hard core stereo.

On the negative side Jason wrote “Pulling out a calibrated mic and the level is at 118db with 129.8db peaks. In a 13X19 foot room. This room frightens me. There is just no other way of describing it.” Ouch. Literally ouch one should be frightened as 118 dB is 200% of the recommended 8 hour daily dosage for noise exposure.  (http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/noise-exposure-level-d_718.html) OSHA regulations only allow 15 minutes exposure @ 115 dB, the more conservative NIOSH recommendation allows 28 seconds at 115 dB. OSHA and NIOSH agree that zero time exposure without hearing protection is allowed above 115 dB. Sure, we have all enjoyed these “feel it as well as hear” it SPL levels from time to time and when it is done with low distortion it can be addictive. But like many addictive activities it is questionable from a healthful living point of view, in this case the health of one’s ears.

Another negative is I pity the exhibiting neighbors of JTR Audio who after paying thousands of dollars to show at RMAF were trying to compete with 129 dB on the other side of a hotel room wall.

The neutral comments are that 118-130 dB levels are the audio equivalent of a 185 mph ride in a Ferrari. It takes a while to recalibrate one’s senses to the new high intensity experience. Thus I will take the description of the sound with a few grains of salt. Finally I cannot help wonder for JTR’s sake what the ratio was of those wowed by the room vs those who hurried by preferring not to subject their hearing to the pounding?

Geardaddy

« Reply #59 on: 5 Oct 2015, 11:26 pm »
Here is a recent review on the ZOTL headphone amp and it is a rave. With 1oodb efficiency speakers or desktop speakers, this might be the perfect integrated. For $1100, that is a great deal. :thumb:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1015/Linear_Tube_Audio_microZOTL_2_Headphone_Amplifier_Review.htm

I saw that.  A friend of mine has one and loves it.  He is a seasoned headphone nerd.....